Niche Stanford undergrad application question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DSM_302.0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up team,

Anyone here do SLE freshman year at Stanford and know how to categorize the coursework?

The Great Books program at Yale, and other similar programs, were modeled off of Stanford's Structured Liberal Education. It's a year-long, 9-10 unit / quarter residentially-based humanities sequence that covers literature, religion, history, philosophy, etc, and so I'm not sure how to categorize this coursework on the AMCAS application.

Anyone have a definitive answer for this?

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

How does it appear on your transcript?

You could go with HIST, PHIL, ENGL, OTHR or SSTU. In all likelihood, any of those would be acceptable and in any case, the whole lot will be AO (all other) and not BCPM so it won't much matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could go with HIST, PHIL, ENGL, OTHR or SSTU. In all likelihood, any of those would be acceptable and in any case, the whole lot will be AO (all other) and not BCPM so it won't much matter.

Great, thanks for your insight, Lizzy!

I figured it didn't really matter all that much, so it's good to hear that validated. It's not BCPM, after all. I'm going to break it up: first quarter was heavy in religion and philosophy, second quarter lots of literature, and third quarter had a focus on modern history, so I'll categorize them as such.

I also emailed some Stanford premed advisors I found online and will update this thread for future applicants who might have the same question, especially those of us almost a decade out of college without relationships to advisors on campus :)

How does it appear on your transcript?
SLE 91, SLE 92, SLE 93. 9 units, 9 units, 10 units. It's a sequence that fulfilled the freshman humanities requirement, the program in writing and rhetoric requirement, and then some. A really fantastic experience. I'm getting all nostalgic!

Snippet from what I heard from Stanford:
Courses should be classified according to their content. Given the course content that SLE covers, you could likely classify it in a variety of ways, including "Other".

Another possibility is to classify it as English Language and Literature, since it fulfills wrt-1 and wrt-2 requirements. Classifying SLE in this way may simplify explaining how you have fulfilled a writing requirement if a school wants you to indicate courses that you have completed to fulfill specific requirements as part of the secondary application process.

Sounds like it doesn't matter. :p