NICU fellowship and the total # of admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the chossen one

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for neonatology this year and I interviewed at a program that I liked so much and I felt it is a good fit, but it has a low number of annual admissions, like ~400 compared to other programs with 700 or more.
I was wondering how important is that in a fellowship search? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Would be helpful for you to find out the number of VLBW admissions. Also, if cardiac babies are admitted elsewhere, do you have a rotation to work with them? In general, 400 is low, but if it's high acuity may not be too bad. Other factors, including location, research, etc are more important.

Would be helpful for you to find out the number of VLBW admissions. Also, if cardiac babies are admitted elsewhere, do you have a rotation to work with them? In general, 400 is low, but if it's high acuity may not be too bad. Other factors, including location, research, etc are more important.

thank you for your answer. Well, the less than 26 weeks admissions is about 20% of total annual admissions. They do not have cardiac surgery or ECMO but fellows round one month a year at PCICU at an outlying facility. They do have a strong research. It is the only interview at desirable location for me and my family. I know ultimately it is my decision but any input is appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)