Nigerian thinking of studying abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tifflex

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,I'm trying to decide my best option would appreciate any help I'm an african currently living in Nigeria,im in my 3rd year studying botany and hope to go for medicine after this.I have been told that getting into a US medical school is very difficult and I should forget about it instead i have been told to go for a carribean school particularly SGU please can someone with experience help me.thank you so much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there, I think you might have better luck in this section of SDN: Pre-Medical - MD

Most people here are US and Canadian students attempting to go abroad in the UK or Ireland for medical school.

To give you a running start, you will need to research the following if you are interested in US medical schools.

1. You should be completing your undergraduate degree. I see you are doing botany and as someone with a similar degree, I can tell you that you will need to hand-pick your electives so that you finish the pre-reqs for US medical school. These required courses all have the same general formula (Admission Requirements for Medical School) but can differ from school to school, so make a list of US medical schools that are in your interest and budget and read their websites. Also, be sure you meet the science, overall, and core GPA requirements.
2. Complete the non-educational pre-reqs. You'll need a good amount of physician shadowing and clinical/non-clinical volunteering.
3. You will need letters of recommendation! Usually, US medical schools want a recommendation letter from: 1. a doctor you've worked with (MD or DO) and 2. a pre-health academic advisor or professor.
4. You will need to take the MCAT and get a strong score (over 500). This is especially important for international applicants, as it ensures that your education is equivalent to US undergraduates.
5. Think about where you want your life to be. Where will you be practicing in the future? Would you like to practice in the US? Nigeria? Somewhere in Europe?