Night Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pose

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Unfortunately since MA is such a prick about things, I cannot be a full time day student for my first semester. Instead, I have to take 12 credits during night and transfer into a full time degree program next fall.

I was hoping to get started on pre-reqs, however, there are no Chemistry, or Biology classes available this spring. So far it seems I'll be taking History, Precalculus, Health & Wellness, and Photography. I'm interested in taking maybe two of those, and the others are core requirements I'll have to take anyway. All classes are between 2.5 and 3.5 hours long, and meet once a week.

My question is: does this meeting once a week (for a long time) thing translate into an easier course load, or a more difficult? I'd like to hear from people that don't breeze through school, and have "normal" study habits :oops:.

An admissions counselor mentioned "It's difficult to take 12 credits at night", and I wasn't quite sure why he said that.

Thanks,
Pose

Members don't see this ad.

Pose said:
Hello everyone,

Unfortunately since MA is such a prick about things, I cannot be a full time day student for my first semester. Instead, I have to take 12 credits during night and transfer into a full time degree program next fall.

I was hoping to get started on pre-reqs, however, there are no Chemistry, or Biology classes available this spring. So far it seems I'll be taking History, Precalculus, Health & Wellness, and Photography. I'm interested in taking maybe two of those, and the others are core requirements I'll have to take anyway. All classes are between 2.5 and 3.5 hours long, and meet once a week.

My question is: does this meeting once a week (for a long time) thing translate into an easier course load, or a more difficult? I'd like to hear from people that don't breeze through school, and have "normal" study habits :oops:.

An admissions counselor mentioned "It's difficult to take 12 credits at night", and I wasn't quite sure why he said that.

Thanks,
Pose

I had to do this my first semester of college because I worked a full-time 8-5 office job. I would try to beat the rush hour traffic to make it to my 5:45-8:30pm class four times a week. I took astronomy, philosophy, anthropology and english I that semester. It was actually one of my hardest semesters with the easiest classes. There was no time to do the busy work or write papers and if there was... well, there was always something else I would rather spend that time doing.

Anyway, I got through it and didn't do too bad in the end. It definitely drags, but we got a little break in the middle of the class to get munchies and such. If the professor is cool he won't drag it out longer than it truly takes to get what needs to be done done. Most of the night prof were part-time so they were cool with letting us go early.

Just don't get behind and you will do fine. Good luck.

Thank you for the reply.

Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
My school has what the call "areas of inquiry" that are general classes that have nothing to do with your major and they help satisfy the "well rounded" student. I got all of those out of the way at a CC so now I am taking freshman level bio and chem classes, but because i can hit direct science classes I only need to be here two years (my first year now). see if the college has similiar classes and get those out of the way.

If you are working a day job and carrying 12 credits, you are going to have a rough time. If you can just turn your day around and treat school like a swing shift job (studying and taking classes from 3-11), sleeping at night and doing other stuff (shopping, laundry, community service, sports) during the day you shouldn't have it too tough. Don't run the temptation of staying up all night and sleeping during the day -- it plays havoc with your circadian rhythm (body clock).

:luck:

Thank you both.

I will check into the CC idea before paying here, FrkyBgStok. And thank you for the tips, Lizzy, I'll make sure to keep them in mind.

-Pose

Your idea seems to be gaining more widespread acceptance. This is an article all about going to extension courses and getting a degree. Forget just for pre-reqs. You can get a harvard education (or reasonable facsimile) at a fraction of the price. Plus, you're not too far away from it, now.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/18/national/18harvard.html

Damn, that's really cool. I'm going to check that out...

Thank you!