night floats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stwei

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anything known as overworked physicians in foreign countries as here in America? Please let me know if there is a country where residents do not need to spend 30hr shifts!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by stwei
Is there anything known as overworked physicians in foreign countries as here in America? Please let me know if there is a country where residents do not need to spend 30hr shifts!

several years ago when the hours limitations rules were proposed there was much discussion on this. yes, there are developed countries that do not kill hteir doctors in training. perhaps someone from one of thos countries can respond to you.

I'm going to Africa for medical school. Give me until next year and I'll let you know if that is the case for Africa unless someone from africa beats me to the punch.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just found out that physicians in denmark are required to work no more than 37 hours a week, but are also reimbursed higher wages if they work overtime.
Problem with residents in US working too many hours is because of many physicians staunchly opposing reforms - they like to go with tradition, and seek not to resolve communication problems (e.g. delegating tasks) Does everyone agree with this?

here in Prague, it is a very traditional system...even the profs regularly take overnight in-house call. i think it really varies country to country....

the last time i was on call i asked my resident what his worst strech of hours was. it started with call monday, off tuesday, call wednesday, off thursday, call fri-monday, off tuesday...repeat x 3 weeks. he had about 25-30 hours OFF a week for 3 weeks. that is nuts!!! and this was 2 years ago...bad luck for him, but similar schedules still happen to the unlucky interns fairly regularly.

I was just going to apply to your school.. now I am having second thoughts. :eek: