tik-tik-clock

CraziiiDesiiKuriii
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2004
333
0
Status
OK, so something is seriously wrong with me..

All day I had just one cup of coffee, that too in the morning.

I just cant seem to be able to fall asleep these days. I ve probably not slept for the past 3-4 days. I ve laid down on bed but not really sleep. Now what this is doing to me is, its making me tired the whole next day, and I get terrible back aches.

I tried taking sleep aid pill, still it doesnt help. The one I took is called unisom, Does anyone know of a good sleep aid pill. PLease? pretty please ?:( I really need to rest my body. I d never had a problem going to sleep before I started studying for the MCAT. I listen to AO, I try not listening to it, everything else- i ve tried it. But I cant just go to sleep. I think the only solution is a good sleeping aid pill.

Anyone know of one that works for them?

Thankyou very mcuh
 

estairella

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
May 7, 2006
403
1
Status
Pre-Medical
tik-tik-clock said:
OK, so something is seriously wrong with me..

All day I had just one cup of coffee, that too in the morning.

I just cant seem to be able to fall asleep these days. I ve probably not slept for the past 3-4 days. I ve laid down on bed but not really sleep. Now what this is doing to me is, its making me tired the whole next day, and I get terrible back aches.

I tried taking sleep aid pill, still it doesnt help. The one I took is called unisom, Does anyone know of a good sleep aid pill. PLease? pretty please ?:( I really need to rest my body. I d never had a problem going to sleep before I started studying for the MCAT. I listen to AO, I try not listening to it, everything else- i ve tried it. But I cant just go to sleep. I think the only solution is a good sleeping aid pill.

Anyone know of one that works for them?

Thankyou very mcuh
I would suggest you 1) stop drinking coffee and 2) don't go to bed unless you know you will go to sleep. What I mean is, stay awake until it's so bad you experience microsleeps every 5 minutes, then you know you'll fall asleep.

I seriously wouldn't recommend a sleeping aid, for two reasons... a) you become tolerant & addicted, so what works now might not work in a month (i.e. MCAT time) and b) sleeping pills depress REM sleep, which is probably not what you want to be doing if you're studying

If you can't stay functional without coffee, then that's your body telling you it needs sleep, so listen to it.
 

ADeadLois

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
3,158
6
Status
Medical Student
I have acute insomnia, so I take Melatonin on a nightly basis. It's a supplement that works to regulate your sleeping cycle. I would NOT recommend taking a sleeping pill (such as Unisom). As others have said, they are addictive and do not work to improve your sleep.
 

xylem29

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2005
1,171
2
Status
Dental Student
ADeadLois said:
I have acute insomnia, so I take Melatonin on a nightly basis. It's a supplement that works to regulate your sleeping cycle. I would NOT recommend taking a sleeping pill (such as Unisom). As others have said, they are addictive and do not work to improve your sleep.
Yea, do not go to the sleeping aid pills. You're probably getting nervous and anxious about the MCAT since it's quickly approaching, don't worry and try not to think about that fact...just keep your prep going and just don't think when you're going to sleep. One thing that works well is going to the gym or something, this usually works.

One thing that was working for me was using AO to put me to sleep...listen to it, learn it, and your mind won't be thinking about anything except their lecture and then eventually you get tired and can't pay attention b/c your drifting off to sleep and then voila, u turn it off and go to sleep.
 

Dancing Doctor

Redneck Woman
10+ Year Member
May 28, 2006
238
0
Clawson, MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
tik-tik-clock said:
OK, so something is seriously wrong with me..

All day I had just one cup of coffee, that too in the morning.

I just cant seem to be able to fall asleep these days. I ve probably not slept for the past 3-4 days. I ve laid down on bed but not really sleep. Now what this is doing to me is, its making me tired the whole next day, and I get terrible back aches.

I tried taking sleep aid pill, still it doesnt help. The one I took is called unisom, Does anyone know of a good sleep aid pill. PLease? pretty please ?:( I really need to rest my body. I d never had a problem going to sleep before I started studying for the MCAT. I listen to AO, I try not listening to it, everything else- i ve tried it. But I cant just go to sleep. I think the only solution is a good sleeping aid pill.

Anyone know of one that works for them?

Thankyou very mcuh
You should really talk to your Primary Care Physician. Insomnia is a condition that can be triggered by many things, or it can be a problem all on its own. I saw a sleep specialist when I was having severe insomnia and it helped me a lot.
This may be helpful as well:
http://www.4woman.gov/faq/insomnia.htm
 

sino408

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
11
0
www.flickr.com
I saw a GP when 2 events triggered severe acute insomnia:

1. Someone tried to rob me at gunpoint in my apartment. The assailant was not able to get past my screen door and I called the cops. PTSD lasted 3 days, and I didn't sleep for 3 days (not even naps). I was given 2 weeks of Ambien, which worked miraculously. I stopped taking it after the prescribed dose

2. I was involved in a rear-end accident 3 weeks ago. We were stopped at a red light all I remember was a loud crash and looking at the ceiling of the car (the seat reclined all the way from the impact). Minor PTSD caused me to be easily waken from sleep. 2 weeks of Ambien again.

I suggest you see your GP ASAP so that you can regulate your sleep. Insomnia is not fun. :eek:

tik-tik-clock said:
OK, so something is seriously wrong with me..

All day I had just one cup of coffee, that too in the morning.

I just cant seem to be able to fall asleep these days. I ve probably not slept for the past 3-4 days. I ve laid down on bed but not really sleep. Now what this is doing to me is, its making me tired the whole next day, and I get terrible back aches.

I tried taking sleep aid pill, still it doesnt help. The one I took is called unisom, Does anyone know of a good sleep aid pill. PLease? pretty please ?:( I really need to rest my body. I d never had a problem going to sleep before I started studying for the MCAT. I listen to AO, I try not listening to it, everything else- i ve tried it. But I cant just go to sleep. I think the only solution is a good sleeping aid pill.

Anyone know of one that works for them?

Thankyou very mcuh
 
OP
T

tik-tik-clock

CraziiiDesiiKuriii
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2004
333
0
Status
shantster said:
Are you getting enough exercise? I tend to have weird sleep schedules when I don't exercise.

My dad just wont let me have the treadmill in my room :( sucks!! Not even for a month:( I guess I ll just have to go to the gym... The treadmill is lying in his room and rusting!! wtf????????? Sorry I m so pissed right now.
 

strawberryfield

10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2005
999
9
Status
Attending Physician
Cut out caffeine, be active during the day, if that doesn't help, tylenol PM or benadryl work for me, I'd rather take one of those than an rx... :rolleyes:
 

whoispittsnogle

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2006
209
0
Status
Pre-Dental
or you can always just make love to your hand :love: holla at my girl Lauren Pheonix :eek: legs and ass and just the overall lower body on tha thing god damn :eek: and a face of an angel too :love:
 

abcxyz0123

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2004
575
36
Status
Attending Physician
does anyone see any drawbacks to not sleeping at all on thursday night, and then sleeping at liek 4 or 5 pm friday night from being so tired, giving you 14 hours of sleep max if you wake up at 6 a.m.? It makes sense to me, what do you guys think?
 

whoispittsnogle

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2006
209
0
Status
Pre-Dental
seth03 said:
does anyone see any drawbacks to not sleeping at all on thursday night, and then sleeping at liek 4 or 5 pm friday night from being so tired, giving you 14 hours of sleep max if you wake up at 6 a.m.? It makes sense to me, what do you guys think?
dude that's the gayest thing i've ever heard...
 

spo01

Member
10+ Year Member
May 1, 2006
534
32
an active mind will def prevent you from sleeping, try to relax. especially from the mcat, any thought about tests and such should be dismissed from your mind! sleep is your time to rest. hell, even one poster mentioned masterbating. it makes most ppl sleepy! unisom and such will not help, i hate them. ambien works great for me, but its prescription. i took some samples and liked them, but they are not necessary and i don't want to take them for a few reasons: 1) i can't sleep worth crap when i don't take them once i am used to them. 2) if i don't get enough sleep (4-5 hours) i'm too tired when i wake up.

the past 4 months i've been doing something that could benefit anyone and is very helpful. it has actually helped me a lot and i sleep during the day because of night shift.
1) i bought a comfortable eye mask. it keeps the light out and makes it pitch black
2) i bought some ear plugs. reduces the sound and makes me feel ready for sleep too.
3) i turn on a large fan right beside my bed. this serves two purposes, first it obviousely keeps me cool as i get hot very easily. two, it makes noise which serves as a 'white noise' effect. it significantly diminishes outside noise and distractions.
4) i take sublingual melatonin. this is well known for its sleep inducing properties and helps reset circadian rhythm which is very impt for ppl like me who are on night shift.
5) this maybe obvious to many, but good hygiene helps me feel 'ready' and comfortable for sleep. brushing teeth, washing face, etc and perhaps most importantly, peeing before bed. nothing more aggravating then having to pee in the middle of the night. perhaps self catheterization if you find the problem to persist ; ) jk jk

anyways, try these out, they may help out big time
 
OP
T

tik-tik-clock

CraziiiDesiiKuriii
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2004
333
0
Status
:eek:

I am a girl not a guy, so if you mention .....

ok nvm, you get my point..
 

mcat_study

eukaryote
10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2006
176
1
Status
Pre-Medical
spo01 said:
an active mind will def prevent you from sleeping, try to relax. especially from the mcat, any thought about tests and such should be dismissed from your mind! sleep is your time to rest. hell, even one poster mentioned masterbating. it makes most ppl sleepy! unisom and such will not help, i hate them. ambien works great for me, but its prescription. i took some samples and liked them, but they are not necessary and i don't want to take them for a few reasons: 1) i can't sleep worth crap when i don't take them once i am used to them. 2) if i don't get enough sleep (4-5 hours) i'm too tired when i wake up.

the past 4 months i've been doing something that could benefit anyone and is very helpful. it has actually helped me a lot and i sleep during the day because of night shift.
1) i bought a comfortable eye mask. it keeps the light out and makes it pitch black
2) i bought some ear plugs. reduces the sound and makes me feel ready for sleep too.
3) i turn on a large fan right beside my bed. this serves two purposes, first it obviousely keeps me cool as i get hot very easily. two, it makes noise which serves as a 'white noise' effect. it significantly diminishes outside noise and distractions.
4) i take sublingual melatonin. this is well known for its sleep inducing properties and helps reset circadian rhythm which is very impt for ppl like me who are on night shift.
5) this maybe obvious to many, but good hygiene helps me feel 'ready' and comfortable for sleep. brushing teeth, washing face, etc and perhaps most importantly, peeing before bed. nothing more aggravating then having to pee in the middle of the night. perhaps self catheterization if you find the problem to persist ; ) jk jk

anyways, try these out, they may help out big time
hi i also take sublinqual melatonin, it really helps, BUT i still wake up around 4 am and cannot fall asleep for a long time, which makes me feel really tired and soggy in the morning. what do i do? :scared:
 

xylem29

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2005
1,171
2
Status
Dental Student
mcat_study said:
hi i also take sublinqual melatonin, it really helps, BUT i still wake up around 4 am and cannot fall asleep for a long time, which makes me feel really tired and soggy in the morning. what do i do? :scared:
i gotta question - does valerian root have the same effects that benadryl or tyleonal pm have when you wake up the next morning? b/c there's no pt in taking a sleeping aid pill when ur head will be all messed up the next morning and you can't think properly.
 

e_phn

member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
528
1
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
.
 

Nomemory

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2001
403
27
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
tik-tik-clock said:
OK, so something is seriously wrong with me..

All day I had just one cup of coffee, that too in the morning.

I just cant seem to be able to fall asleep these days. I ve probably not slept for the past 3-4 days. I ve laid down on bed but not really sleep. Now what this is doing to me is, its making me tired the whole next day, and I get terrible back aches.

I tried taking sleep aid pill, still it doesnt help. The one I took is called unisom, Does anyone know of a good sleep aid pill. PLease? pretty please ?:( I really need to rest my body. I d never had a problem going to sleep before I started studying for the MCAT. I listen to AO, I try not listening to it, everything else- i ve tried it. But I cant just go to sleep. I think the only solution is a good sleeping aid pill.

Anyone know of one that works for them?

Thankyou very mcuh
Picture in your mind's eye a chalkboard and yourself slowly writing the number one. Slowly erasing it. Then writing two. Then erasing it. Imagine the way the chalk feels in your hand and the way it sounds and feels as you're writing on the board (e.g., that scratchy feeling of chalk moving across a board). Imagine the feel and sound of erasing it (e.g., those little specks of chalk dust that fall to the floor). Slowly write and erase the numbers 1 to 100 and by the time you get to 100 (or probably before) you should be out. If you feel like you're gonna make it to 100 then push it to 500 so there's no anxiety about getting to 100 or whatever.

This has worked when I've actually done it (usually i'm too mentally lazy). The trick is forcing yourself to do it despite it being boring or tedious....after all that's kinda the point.

Won't work for everyone but it's free (shrugs) so why not give it a shot? :oops: