NIH IRTA - How long does it take to hear back?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kinkocopies3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I applied for the NIH IRTA program, and my application has been complete (with all my letters in) for about a week now. How long does it take to hear back from them?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i don't think you hear anything from the NIH in general about your application and acceptance status. i think that individual labs who want IRTAs look at the online applications and contact you depending on wether or not your interests match their work.

i heard back from two or three labs a couple weeks after all my recs got in.

hope that helps...

Does anyone know good places to live in Bethesda for summer or places where you can find a room to share in an apartment?

I'm going for this internship this summer starting June 1st and ending August 1st but I want to avoid spending tons on housing!

-Entol

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't think you hear anything from the NIH in general about your application and acceptance status. i think that individual labs who want IRTAs look at the online applications and contact you depending on wether or not your interests match their work.

i heard back from two or three labs a couple weeks after all my recs got in.

hope that helps...

Unless you have some money saved up, or you don't mind living in some crazy lady's basement, then you definitely don't want to live in Bethesda. It is EXTREMELY expensive...especially if your trying to find your own place. You probably will want to find a place that is north of (but not too far north of) Bethesda, and close to a Metro station so you can ride into work. NIH will pay for your transportation, so the train won't cost you a thing. Try running a search for a place in Montgomery County Maryland. You want something as far south as north Bethesda, but nothing further north than Gaithesburg. Rockville is a pretty good place to live (that's where I live, actually).

If you haven't already, check out this website:

http://preirta.nih.gov

Good luck...PM me if you need more info.

Originally posted by kinkocopies3
Hey all,

I applied for the NIH IRTA program, and my application has been complete (with all my letters in) for about a week now. How long does it take to hear back from them?

Thanks

PI's are constantly looking through the database for IRTA applicants. I'm guessing you should hear back really soon. If you have a decent GPA you won't have any problem getting a fellowship.

I actually applied a couple years ago without really knowing much about the whole IRTA program, just sort of ran into the application. And, if I remember correctly I was rejected within days, maybe a week? Maybe two? Anyways, it didn't take them very long to make up their minds about my application. So if you don't hear for a while it's quite likely a good thing (like maybe they're actually trying to find a place for you, as opposed to finding a recycling bin, as they did for my application).

On the other hand, I haven't had nearly as much trouble getting into medical school, my application has been fairly well received. So, if that's your ultimate goal, and the IRTA thing doesn't work out, don't let it get you down.

The following website is a GREAT place to find housing for NIH IRTA's and summer students:

http://www.recgov.org/housing/housing.html

It is updated every two weeks with ads from people who are specifically looking to rent to NIH'ers (we must have a nice reputation).

With regards to the IRTA application process, which can seem vague from a distance, no 'admissions committee' meets to review IRTA applications; instead, PI's interested in having post-bacs in their lab review applications at their leisure and then contact students directly. In my case, I heard back from several labs before all my letters were in. It just varies from person to person.

Hope this helps!

Originally posted by late inthe game
I actually applied a couple years ago without really knowing much about the whole IRTA program, just sort of ran into the application. And, if I remember correctly I was rejected within days, maybe a week? Maybe two? Anyways, it didn't take them very long to make up their minds about my application. So if you don't hear for a while it's quite likely a good thing (like maybe they're actually trying to find a place for you, as opposed to finding a recycling bin, as they did for my application).

On the other hand, I haven't had nearly as much trouble getting into medical school, my application has been fairly well received. So, if that's your ultimate goal, and the IRTA thing doesn't work out, don't let it get you down.

You must have messed up your application (ie forgot to submit something). I don't think they actually reject anyone. They keep everyone's app on file for PIs to browse thru. Some PIs will accept ppl with low stats or bad LOR if they are desperate for IRTA and they can't wait. Good Luck

Does anyone know if you can do an IRTA (not the summer internship thing) for less than one full calendar year?

It seems to me that I'll have about 7 or 8 months of time on my hands coming up...:rolleyes:

I am currently in the process of applying for a tech IRTA. Does anyone know any labs that are currently in need of an IRTA. Also, how much research experience must you have to be competitive? Lastly, how closely does your previous research experience have to match the labs that you are applying for? Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.recgov.org/housing/housing.html

The rate of sketchy ads on this list is much, much lower than Craigslist. In my opinion, if someone is strange, sketchy, or otherwise trying to scam a future tenant, they are more likely to use Craigslist and less likely to use this housing list (and hence target a select group of highly educated scientists)

If you're just waiting around, your chances are pretty low. You might get lucky and be noticed, but you really need to be active about emailing PIs in labs you're interested in.

I just recently started as an IRTA. I had to send emails to almost 60 PIs before I found one that had space in their lab and funding for an IRTA.

Does anyone know good places to live in Bethesda for summer or places where you can find a room to share in an apartment?

I'm going for this internship this summer starting June 1st and ending August 1st but I want to avoid spending tons on housing!

-Entol
Hands down, the best place to look is the ClubPCR Yahoo Group. It's an informal social group for IRTAs, although really ideal for any college student/recent grads who will be working at or near NIH. The vast majority of posts are for housing opportunities. This is how I found my place and roommates.

edit: whoa, just noticed this thread was a thousand years old. What's with these bumps? Anyway, the info I posted still applies

Last edited:
You have to contact PIs in order to have a good chance of getting in. Like the previous poster mentioned, if you're just waiting around for PIs to search through the application database and find you, it's highly likely that you won't get into a lab anytime soon. Be proactive. Email PIs and let them know of your interest in their lab, how working in their lab would help you achieve your professional goals, etc. (Make sure you attach a CV).

Good luck!

Edit: Though someone bumped an old thread, at least they're using it to ask a relevant question rather than making an irrelevant comment towards a post made years ago. :)

Last edited:
I am currently in the process of applying for a tech IRTA. Does anyone know any labs that are currently in need of an IRTA. Also, how much research experience must you have to be competitive? Lastly, how closely does your previous research experience have to match the labs that you are applying for? Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks.
Depends entirely on the lab/PI. Some want you to have research experience, others prefer candidates without any so that they can teach them their way of doing things without any sort of bias on the trainee's end. There's no set amount of research you need. Some PIs might prefer you to have research in the area you'll be working, others (like mine) won't care.

There are occasionally lab openings posted on ClubPCR on Yahoo Groups, so you should join that group and look around.

Thanks. I will check it out.

I have been emailing PIs like mad but still no luck. Do you guys know if they hire many IRTAs after the summer? Also, I am just now two years out of school and so I no longer qualify for a post-bac but I am still applying as a tech. IRTA. Do you know if these are more competitive or if it is a similar experience? Thanks.

Last edited:
Anyone have anymore input on this or has time to provide me with some advice on whether or not I am a qualified candidate for this program?

Anyone have anymore input on this or has time to provide me with some advice on whether or not I am a qualified candidate for this program?

Hey Frank,
I have been working as a post bac at NIH for about 6 months now. In my experience my previous training helped me out a great deal. I was contacting within a day or two of submitting by s cell culture lab. About three weeks after that I was contacted by a TBI lab and went with that one. I was picked up through the IRTA application but I am acctually contracted through henry jackson foundation. My point being, if a PI wants you they will make it work and get you in their lab. Being that you're two years out of school won't really matter if they like your skills and want you.