NIH IRTA Postbac Program: Financial Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalax

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

First time I post in these forums, though I've been lurking for a decent amount of time. I've recently got an offer from a lab as part of the NIH Postbac IRTA program. I've read all the previous threads regarding the NIH Postbac IRTA but most of them are pretty old.

I'd like some advice from people that have done the Postbac IRTA program, ideally recently.

Specifically, I'm worried about whether the stipend they provide (~$27,000) is actually enough to cover living costs and housing. Did you have some money left? Did you/your parents have to contribute to cover living costs because the stipend wasn't enough? How much did you spend on housing? Did you have to pay a lot of taxes on the stipend?

Hope to hear your thoughts!

:D

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a current IRTA at the Bethesda campus.

The stipend they provide is more than enough. Living costs in the area are rather high, but you can definitely share a place in the $600-900 range. Taxes end up being around $350 per month (depends if your state of residence has income tax). I've never had to ask my parents to help out with living expenses. A lot of people tutor on the side to make some extra cash (~$100/week).

This is my second year, and I was able to save up a good amount of money during my first year to pay for my primary and all my secondaries. My parents helped me out with interview costs, because those can ramp up rather quickly (especially if you apply/interview at west coast schools). The IRTA program is great if you're in a lab with a good working environment. Also, there are a lot of interesting talks and clinical opportunities available at the NIH.

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.

I'm also currently in the IRTA program on the Bethesda campus, but I live in Maryland, so I commute over an hour one way to come to work, so I may not be able to help with answering your questions about living expenses. Because I live at home, the stipend is plenty sufficient for me.

However, I absolutely recommend the program because of the incredible environment you get to be in each day when you come to work here. You're surrounded by wonderful mentors that are devoted to helping you learn, develop your skills as a scientist, and help you achieve your goals to become a physician. Also, if you're not familiar with the area, the DC metro area is a wonderful place to be!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot for your prompt responses!

What about the food situation? Are you guys dependent solely on groceries/cooking your own food or are there cafeterias or something subsidized by NIH that helps out?

(Sorry, I feel like I'm asking the most inane questions but as of now most of my doubts are really basic day-to-day stuff.)

I usually make the majority of my meals at home. There are plenty of grocery stores nearby wherever you will live. There are plenty of cafeterias on campus, and the food is decent. It is not subsidized, so a typical lunch will be between $7-10.

I did the program a few years back and its def a great experience. If I remember correctly, I made about $2000 a month (you get a lump sum payment every month). Taxes are not taken out but rather you pay them all at once when you file your taxes but they help you understand/figure that out.

I lived in Rockville, which is about a 8 min metro ride from Bethesda at a place called Rollins Park Apartments, which was in my opinion great! It was close to the train station, and was about a 20-40 min ride into the city.

Also it was located next to a park if your into sports and stuff and they had a great pool/gym.

As for money, you'll have more than enough to live comfortably and not have to rely on your parents. My friends and I usually went out into DC every weekend.

Good Luck.

Actually, I take back my original statement about the stipend being "plenty sufficient". My loans are outrageous! That's something to consider, OP. The NIH will only allow you to defer federal loans that were taken out in your name. So, if you have parent plus loans, you can't defer those. So I end up using a quarter of my stipend on loans and a quarter on car payments.

Thanks for all the info, guys! So you had problems covering your costs because of loans you had carried over from College? :S

If you don't have student loan payments, it's totally doable. If you do, you might have a hard time. I'm doing an NIH postbac, and I'm getting by fine with minimal/no help from my parents (except with flying to med school interviews).

I see. Well, thanks a lot for your feedback, guys! I think I will accept the position. :)

do you guys know how long it takes to hear back from a PI. this PI expressed an interest in me like 10 days ago, he asked me if i would like to be further considered for post bac. postion. I told him yes but i haven't heard back from him since. Is it normal to not hear back from PI for like 10 to 20 days.

what is the process once the PI is interested in you in terms of interview and stuff?

I am a NIH IRTA Fellow. You can defer student loans the NIH still considers you a student.

One PI expressed interest initially and followed up a month later. Then offered a interview another month later.

The PI that I'm working with expressed interest and wanted to interview ASAP. I was hired on the spot.

It all depends on the PI. Good luck.

I've found that you can defer loans for 12 months, but what if I choose to work for a ~15 month period?

Last edited: