NIH IRTA program and Residency Issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Waiting4Drexel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, this question goes out to you post-baccs working at the NIH.

I was recently accepted at my state school in VA and I am about to fill out their form for In-State Tuition. However, I'm a bit nervous because they ask me where I had lived in the past two years (MD, not VA). I am not dependent on my parents and I am not married to someone with VA residency. However, I do have a VA drivers license, vehicle registration, voter registration, and paid VA taxes this past year.

Do you guys think it will be an issue that I have not lived in VA for the past 2 years? Should I write an accompanying letter describing the IRTA program and how it is a temporary 1/2 year fellowship?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

nah, they count the irta program as a part of your education (so if you moved away for undergrad to maryland from virginia, you are still a VA resident, unless you specifically changed your residency to maryland and are voting there) so basically you are fine. if they say anything, just tell them it was a post-bac internship and you never changed your virginia residency. gl!:thumbup: