NIH IRTA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BartlebySee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any chance of finding a position if I apply now? Not worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my apps in December, interviewed in January, and started in June. The process is rolling, so unless you're looking for a spot for later this year, probably not worth it.

I submitted my apps in December, interviewed in January, and started in June. The process is rolling, so unless you're looking for a spot for later this year, probably not worth it.
I was thinking more around January time. I'll be out of country until then anyways.

Do IRTA's get picked up in January?

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of the postbacs I know are getting ready to leave to begin graduate and medical school, so now is the perfect time to slip into labs that have just had spots open.

I was thinking more around January time. I'll be out of country until then anyways.

I would say most open in spring/summer time when people are shifting through postbac/grad school. Given the shortage of PIs to postbac positions, I would guess it's more rare but not impossible to find a position in the fall and winter months.

Usually, no, because most of the IRTAs are leaving their positions for graduate/medical schools from June to August. That's when most of the vacancies will be. Still, the best thing to do about it is to email individual labs and to see whether they are looking for a fellow.

A lot of the postbacs I know are getting ready to leave to begin graduate and medical school, so now is the perfect time to slip into labs that have just had spots open.

I would say most open in spring/summer time when people are shifting through postbac/grad school. Given the shortage of PIs to postbac positions, I would guess it's more rare but not impossible to find a position in the fall and winter months.
You think there are openings RIGHT now for the upcoming year? Like starting in July?

You think there are openings RIGHT now for the upcoming year? Like starting in July?

It's difficult to say when exactly they open up. For instance, a PI may know his postbac is leaving in June, and start recruiting to fill his or her position in the winter. I know for a fact that a lot of turnover happens in the months leading to the spring and summer months.

If you're interested in biophysics I know a few labs whose postbacs are leaving ;)