Nih Irta

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much does being an NIH IRTA Fellow help you get into med school?? Any knowledge on the matter would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Any sense of how much being an NIH IRTA Fellow helps students get into med school?? Thanks!

Nobody can say how one experience will affect your admissions chances. Schools look at the total package and your research experience is just one of the factors.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a great experience in that there is no better place to do research plus there are many many talks given by leading scientists everyday. You also get the opportunity to shadow.

That said, it's basically just another research experience. It'll be great if you get a pub or can talk articulately about your research but don't expect it to get you into any school you're not qualified for.

It's a great experience in that there is no better place to do research plus there are many many talks given by leading scientists everyday. You also get the opportunity to shadow.

That said, it's basically just another research experience. It'll be great if you get a pub or can talk articulately about your research but don't expect it to get you into any school you're not qualified for.

But could it bump me into a med school i am statistically qualified for (hitting the averages)?

But could it bump me into a med school i am statistically qualified for (hitting the averages)?

Oh my goodness. First off, your lack of passion for research is obvious, it's already difficult as it is to become an NIH IRTA, so if you don't really want it, they will know. Second, the fact that you are an "NIH IRTA" will not "bump" you into medical school. You have to show med schools your passion for the research you were doing, what you learned, the accomplishments you made. If you only care about getting into med school please don't apply to become an IRTA. Look for research you are actually passionate about and maybe go from there.

and honestly, if you did your own independent research at XX school it doesn't matter where you did it. I think med schools just want to see your passion in it.

Oh my goodness. First off, your lack of passion for research is obvious, it's already difficult as it is to become an NIH IRTA, so if you don't really want it, they will know. Second, the fact that you are an "NIH IRTA" will not "bump" you into medical school. You have to show med schools your passion for the research you were doing, what you learned, the accomplishments you made. If you only care about getting into med school please don't apply to become an IRTA. Look for research you are actually passionate about and maybe go from there.

and honestly, if you did your own independent research at XX school it doesn't matter where you did it. I think med schools just want to see your passion in it.
my lack of passion? are you kidding me? i had a question about how the admissions game worked. yes, i do want to go to med school and i like doing the research i am doing- yes i am currently and IRTA. So far it is a great experience. In applying to med school you have to know where you stand to properly apply. I was uncertain what doing research like i am doing means to med schools. your inability to read people will surely be of value when you are dealing with patients.

I can't answer that. In the interviews I've had, it hasn't been a huge topic of conversation. In fact, none of my research experiences have. Obviously, you'll be doing research full-time for a full year so you'll beat out anyone in the research category who is applying w/o taking time off. But I don't think it's more prestigious than a lab tech job.

my lack of passion? are you kidding me? i had a question about how the admissions game worked. yes, i do want to go to med school and i like doing the research i am doing- yes i am currently and IRTA. So far it is a great experience. In applying to med school you have to know where you stand to properly apply. I was uncertain what doing research like i am doing means to med schools. your inability to read people will surely be of value when you are dealing with patients.

It seemed as though you wanted to become an IRTA just to help you get into med school, that is why I made that assumption. If you had communicated your situation perhaps people would understand what you meant. So it is not my inability to read people, but your inability to properly communicate your intentions in the making of this thread. :p Now lets lighten up it's been a long hard day. I want to go out and drink now LOL