NIH SIP internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicaldoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard back from a PI saying that she'd like to offer me a position. I responded saying that I would love to take up on the offer. She did not respond after. I am getting nervous as to whether or not she actually accepted me.

Is there any additional paperwork to do to make the SIP official?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I completed that program, and the only piece of information that they needed immediately was my intended start date.

Should I just take the PI at their word of mouth then? What should be my response?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I just take the PI at their word of mouth then? What should be my response?
Thanks.
THat happened to me two summers ago and I emailed the PI twice before he told me he offered the position to someone else even though I responded minutes after he offered me the position. I will say just keep looking for a position but keep correspondance with the PI. Email again and say that you never got a response or just when you would like to start

What is better to work in, a big lab or a smaller lab? Medical Oncology or Genetics? Working with MD, Phd or just a Phd? What are the chances of getting published?

What is better to work in, a big lab or a smaller lab? Medical Oncology or Genetics? Working with MD, Phd or just a Phd? What are the chances of getting published?
I would say it depends on when you get to the lab. You might get there when a project is just starting which means chances of publishing in a summer is slim. you might get there when a project is at the end. Then you might have a chance to be on a paper.

I completed that program last summer. My PI recently sent me an email saying that she was adding my name as a coauthor.

In general, I believe these programs do not have very stringent requirements for participants. Even though we had an 8 hour workday, I only did real work for about 3 hours a day. This appeared to be the case for my peers as well, who worked with other PI's.

All in all it was a fun, somewhat educational experience.

Last edited:
I have to pick between two offers for SIP. Both labs do really cool, relevant work.

Lab 1 is at NCI is with a Principal Investigator r who is the head of a department. I can tell he will be a great mentor but the project involves designing antibodies to target liver cancer which I think might be slightly boring (but maybe not). The researcher seems very willing to mentor and guide me through the project, and I think he'd make a good mentor. He really wanted to learn about my interests, which I liked!

Lab 2 is at NHLBI with an Investigator (recently graduated from Harvard) who is on a tenure track (so not as established as researcher from Lab 1). He does work with obesity; studying metabolic pathways that affect ovarian cancer. He's much younger than the researcher in Lab 1 but seems like a rising rockstar (2 publications in Cell already!). He has less experience as a mentor but seems like a nice guy.

I like the research in lab 2 slightly more, and after visiting the lab the people there seemed more sociable and friendly. But researcher in lab 1 is more well-known and will probably make the better mentor from talking to him.

I need to pick by Friday. Gah. Any thoughts?

That's really hard...
I think I would do a toss up.
I do like Lab 1 research better though and seems like you can really build a relationship with the PI which can come in hand for an LOR.