Nintendo School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dajimmers

Hedgehog!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now you have an alternative to the expensive, time-consuming medical schools we're all applying to. Thanks to TRAUMA CENTER: UNDER THE KNIFE, by Atlus software, you can become an MD, with a specialization in surgery, for only $30.

Members don't see this ad.

Dr.%20Mario.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
how do you put in a pic?

i liked the guy on the front page saying "let's beging the operation!"

i'm glad he's not my doctor

has anyone actually played this...i think i would laugh too much

"The challenging gameplay will keep doctors coming back to see the next dramatic event in Trauma Center's gripping storyline"

Shredder said:

I used to be a god at Dr. Mario, I actually memorized the sequence of pills for one of the puzzles and was able to amass a ridiculously high score. Yea, I've got major problems...

C.P. Jones said:
how do you put in a pic?

Here ya go:
system-01_04b-(use-top).gif

I wouldn't let this dude operate on me either.

"Gamers will feel like expert surgeons as they treat injuries and uncover ways to battle with a dangerous new disease. The controls are easy to understand, but saving lives is difficult to master."

lmao.

dajimmers said:
Now you have an alternative to the expensive, time-consuming medical schools we're all applying to. Thanks to TRAUMA CENTER: UNDER THE KNIFE, by Atlus software, you can become an MD, with a specialization in surgery, for only $30.
OMG, this is too much! Thank god I got rid of my Nintendo years ago. :laugh:

Hahaha, I think this would be kinda fun (in a funny entertaining way). Do they have a PC version of this game? I wonder how realistic it is?

Wasn't there a game where you control an entire hospital, sorta like the sims?

i would rather kill people in GTA San Andreas

Members don't see this ad :)
NRAI2001 said:
Hahaha, I think this would be kinda fun (in a funny entertaining way). Do they have a PC version of this game? I wonder how realistic it is?
I doubt there ever would be because the touch screen is kind of an integral part of the game mechanic.
On a similar note, studies have shown that surgeons who play video games are actually better than their colleagues. Has to do with hand-eye coordination, quick visual processing and reactions, etc. If that is true, the Nintendo SOM has done me well, I'm gonna be the world's greatest surgeon!

NRAI2001 said:
Yes, Theme Hospital. The creator just released a new game called The Movies where you run a movie studio and can actually film your own movies within it.

I will now crawl back into my dark basement illuminated by LCDs :)

I love Dr. Mario! Word is that Nintendo is coming out with a greatest puzzle hits package for the GameCube sometime soon. I have Dr. Mario for the 64, which I got really good at after I had surgery in 2001 and was on the couch for two weeks on my back. It's amazing how quickly you can learn to play that game looking sideways at the T.V. I still school my brother on that game, and he's been playing video games since he was 10!

(Kinda embarassed to say that I never had a video game console. Still don't actually, but my brother has moved on to the PS2, Game Cube etc. so I borrow his 64 a lot just for Dr. Mario.)

He got me the Trauma game, and it's really hokey at times. You have to dismantle bombs and stuff, so a lot of it doesn't apply directly to surgery.

Nosferatu said:
On a similar note, studies have shown that surgeons who play video games are actually better than their colleagues. Has to do with hand-eye coordination, quick visual processing and reactions, etc.

Are you serious? Which studies? Do you have any references? I'd love to see those. It would give me a reason to buy an XBox 360.

dajimmers said:

I think some med schools already utilize software like this (not Nintendo, obviously). Read it ages ago in US News & World Report...

Sicilian said:
I think some med schools already utilize software like this (not Nintendo, obviously). Read it ages ago in US News & World Report...

i wish they would utilize video game systems.....i'd study all day every day

NRAI2001 said:
:wow: like hospital tycoon? i see someone said "theme hospital", im on my way to search for it right now. superb thread!

C.P. Jones said:
i wish they would utilize video game systems.....i'd study all day every day

Haha yeah. And for something like anatomy, its the perfect fit. All you're doing is learning to recognize body parts anyway - y not do it in 3D? Check this baby out; I played with it all summer: http://www.anatomy.tv/default.aspx

Shredder said:
:wow: like hospital tycoon? i see someone said "theme hospital", im on my way to search for it right now. superb thread!

Is there a game called hospital tycoon? I know there are games where u manage theme parks, cities, airports...etc but is there one where u manage a hospital?

swifteagle43 said:
i would rather kill people in GTA San Andreas

I'm a bad*ss at that game. I'm ready for a new one to come out. (I don't have a PSP :( )

NRAI2001 said:
Is there a game called hospital tycoon? I know there are games where u manage theme parks, cities, airports...etc but is there one where u manage a hospital?
great question...and if theres not, great biz idea! a little to early to pursue but give it 5 years and if its still not there we can round up some coders. it might be a premed hit, can even list as an EC hah. replete with an online high score list. #1=guaranteed harvard med!

Shredder said:
great question...and if theres not, great biz idea! a little to early to pursue but give it 5 years and if its still not there we can round up some coders. it might be a premed hit, can even list as an EC hah. replete with an online high score list. #1=guaranteed harvard med!
Games like this should be developed even more. Then AMCAS can list it as a requirement under (or perhaps instead of) MCAT scores:

GPA...
MCAT...
VirtuaMed Hi Score...
Hospital Tycoon Profitability, Physician Satisfaction, Patient Satisfaction...

Interviews would really just be huge LAN-Parties where invited applicants come together to duke it out in AnatoWizard, Surgeon's Slice, and The Sims: Emergency Department. Highest scorers win an acceptance.

dajimmers said:
Games like this should be developed even more. Then AMCAS can list it as a requirement under (or perhaps instead of) MCAT scores:

GPA...
MCAT...
VirtuaMed Hi Score...
Hospital Tycoon Profitability, Physician Satisfaction, Patient Satisfaction...

Interviews would really just be huge LAN-Parties where invited applicants come together to duke it out in AnatoWizard, Surgeon's Slice, and The Sims: Emergency Department. Highest scorers win an acceptance.
as a complement to sdn we could create a massive alternate universe, like ultima or everquest. rankings and tournaments on those things are serious business. the whole medical niche is going unnoticed in the gaming world, shame! sims has touched just about every area except med...the "theme hospital" game was very similar to sims, shareware though unless you pay

NRAI2001 said:

There exists such a game. I've actually played "Theme Hospital" before and I thought it was a lot of fun. Google that mofo, I'm sure you'll be able to find a download, I plaed it on the PC.

C.P. Jones said:
how do you put in a pic?

Hrmm...this was funnier before I saw that the misspelling is yours, and not the game's. That would have been very funny to have a game say "beging".

Awesome thread!

I never played "Theme Hospital" but I've played a few different surgery games on the PC... unfortunately all of them have sucked. I would love playing a good hospital/medical game.

If you guys ever get serious about development, I would be completely in on that. Every once in a while I talk with a friend of mine who is into the whole programming thing (he's in a class on video game design right now and has created a couple simple puzzle games of his own) about doing something hospital based. :)

I remember there was an old PC game from about 10 years ago that simulated operations. Actually I had the sequel, can't remember the title but the subtitle was "The Brain" and you could do 3 different brain operations. I only managed to do the first one, the subdural hematoma, because the mouse driver for it was majorly screwed up.(Yes, it was MS-Dos. Basically after about 5-10 minutes the mouse cursor would jump all over the screen. Just try to bore a hole with a drill when you can't keep the cursor in one spot. It was like trying to do an operation if you had parkinsons.)

Just noticed that link lets you actually download the game. Not sure if it's abandonware though.

Indryd said:
Hrmm...this was funnier before I saw that the misspelling is yours, and not the game's. That would have been very funny to have a game say "beging".

hahahaha, sry about that....i did notice it a while after posting it, but i was too lazy to do anything about it...but now that you mention it, it is much funnier

Dave_D said:
Just noticed that link lets you actually download the game. Not sure if it's abandonware though.

i'm trying it out now :)

i dled winrar, and i got to the installation part, and then it says to put disks in, and idk what to do, i'm going to bed

so i didn't really go to bed

i extracted all the files, ran the install file....idk which options for drives, etc. so i tried many of them, size of disk, who knows....but when it says to insert them i just tried dragging DI1.qpz into the window and it says it's the wrong disk....but i think these are the "disks"....i hope someone figures this out so i can be a good doctor

Well I just unzip/unrar the files, dump them to the root.(Basically I had a folder with all the files and CP folder. I dragged the lot of it to the C drive, no subfolder at all.) I ran the install and it installed after a while.(Seemed like it wouldn't but eventually it installed with alot of pauses in the middle.) I did try running it but I think it locked up on the first message to report to class.

Karim said:
"Gamers will feel like expert surgeons as they treat injuries and uncover ways to battle with a dangerous new disease. The controls are easy to understand, but saving lives is difficult to master."

lmao.

I know what you mean.

But on a more serious note, have any of you heard of Robotic surgery?????

In Robotic heart surgery you use controllers to move the arms of the robot like you are coordinating a controller for a video game. Really neat actually.

Dr.%20Mario.jpg

Ah yes, Life and Death, that was made in the good ole golden age of computer gaming, when a lot of games were cerebral and made you think, now it's all FPS.

gujuDoc said:
I know what you mean.

But on a more serious note, have any of you heard of Robotic surgery?????

In Robotic heart surgery you use controllers to move the arms of the robot like you are coordinating a controller for a video game. Really neat actually.

It's the Da Vinci. I wonder if surgeons in general like this robotic surgery, it's only going to become more prevalent.

Example: the link in my signature

Dave_D said:
Well I just unzip/unrar the files, dump them to the root.(Basically I had a folder with all the files and CP folder. I dragged the lot of it to the C drive, no subfolder at all.) I ran the install and it installed after a while.(Seemed like it wouldn't but eventually it installed with alot of pauses in the middle.) I did try running it but I think it locked up on the first message to report to class.

what did you choose as your options in installation? i extracted it all to my desktop and i went through actually choosing a whole bunch of combinations...did you just say yes to every first thing and not touch anything else?

dajimmers said:
It's the Da Vinci. I wonder if surgeons in general like this robotic surgery, it's only going to become more prevalent.

Theres actually a Da Vinci robot in the operating room that I volunteer at here in Buffalo (Roswell Park for all you locals.) It is absolutely RIDICULOUS (in a good way, lol). I've sat in a few surgeries in there...

One of the attendings was really nice and let me sit in the console during a surgery for a few minutes to see what it felt like... completely 3D. Was almost identical to a real life video game.

From what the docs told me... Right now it has a very limited use (almost specifically for prostate surgery), but they're expanding and testing out its use in other operations such as with Hietal Hernia repair.

If you go to ORlive.com you can see a Da Vinci surgery I believe from Vandy. As someone else said it was a prostate removal.

Dave_D said:
I remember playing the original. That was a long time ago. You would get paged to different rooms, have to prep the patient, palpate for pain, and then cut away. It was pretty neat back then.

dajimmers said:

"MSU developing robotic arm capable of doing breast exams"

Dam your school !!!!:mad: Trying to take all the fun out of medicine :confused:

BrettBatchelor said:
If you go to ORlive.com you can see a Da Vinci surgery I believe from Vandy. As someone else said it was a prostate removal.

Can you watch surgeries on this site?

NRAI2001 said:
"MSU developing robotic arm capable of doing breast exams"

Dam your school !!!!:mad: Trying to take all the fun out of medicine :confused:
It's the engineers' fault- if they can't do breast exams, they'd at least rather their robots did than other humans. They're jealous.

VIRTUAL KNEE SURGERY!!!

I just googled "surgery flash game," and this was the first thing to come up! Make sure you initial the correct knee!

dajimmers said:
It's the engineers' fault- if they can't do breast exams, they'd at least rather their robots did than other humans. They're jealous.

VIRTUAL KNEE SURGERY!!!

I just googled "surgery flash game," and this was the first thing to come up! Make sure you initial the correct knee!
The cool thing is that I have done this on a cadaver leg.