PhD/PsyD NJ License

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avictoria

Reaction score
I recently took and passed NJ's jurisprudence examination on 4/12/21. The proctor notified us that if we were able to get as far as taking the jurisprudence exam, we no longer have any outstanding documents. I submitted all the fees and address form on the 12th. How long after I paid the initial license fee do I receive the license? I have tried emailing and calling the board, who is working from home, but have not heard back from anyone. I have multiple job offers on the table that require a psychology license but have not been able to accept any due to the unknown timeframe of when I would receive my license.

Members don't see this ad.

Make sure to let them know all of your stuff is in. They should be familiar w. the licensing board and delays. Good luck!

ps. I once drove through a snowstorm 2hr+ away to do my oral jurisprudence exam. I was warned not to miss it or it could be months. I was the only idiot to show up, but I passed! I didn't even mind the white-knuckling the entire way home.

pss. I share this to say COGRATS! You made it. The jobs know this, so update them and then take a few deep breaths bc it'll shake out. State licensing boards are mostly like your experience.

Last edited:
I suspect the working from home part may be delaying things a bit, but the only recommendation I have is to keep trying to contact them. In my state, once you pass jurisprudence and all fees are paid, you're licensed even if you haven't gotten the actual document in the mail.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The NJ board is notorious for being slow and unresponsive, and this long predates COVID (though it has gotten worse since they've been working from home). Keep bothering them. Over and over. Email every day. If you are interested in one of the jobs, let them know you're waiting on the board; they will probably understand why there is a delay.

Reactions: 2 users
The NJ board is notorious for being slow and unresponsive, and this long predates COVID (though it has gotten worse since they've been working from home). Keep bothering them. Over and over. Email every day. If you are interested in one of the jobs, let them know you're waiting on the board; they will probably understand why there is a delay.
Yep, seconding this! NJ board is unbelievably slow, and will just... not tell you about crucial missing documents unless you specifically ask them. And all of my run-ins with them have been pre-COVID, so I can't even imagine how unresponsive they are now. Not saying this to freak you out but just to assure you that what you're experiencing is normal, and that if your jobs are in NJ they have experienced this for everyone they've ever hired. Let them know that you took the exam and are just waiting for the board. For many places, that's as good as licensed.

Reactions: 1 users