PhD/PsyD NJ Licensure anyone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychrat

licensed psychologist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I hope to become licensed in both NY and NJ. I just passed the EPPP and am waiting for my scores to be sent to the NY licensing board, and then my NY application will be complete.

However, I started to look into NJ licensure and the process seems much more complex. It sounds like they want applicants to get everything (finger prints, personal recommendation that applicant is of good moral character) before submitting hours and transcripts. This is very different than NY, which allowed applicants to mail things in as they completed them. Am I understanding this correctly? Here is the site. Any currently licensed NJ psychologists on? Where do I begin?

https://www.psychologydegree411.com/licensure/new-jersey/#2

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not in NJ. But maybe it would be easier to get licensed in NY first, and then apply for licensure in NJ on the basis that you're already licensed in NY? I have a friend who is moving after postdoc and she decided to get licensed in my state first and transfer because it would be easier.

I'm a student in NJ now and I know a lot of people who got licensed in NY first because it was easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I hope to become licensed in both NY and NJ. I just passed the EPPP and am waiting for my scores to be sent to the NY licensing board, and then my NY application will be complete.

However, I started to look into NJ licensure and the process seems much more complex. It sounds like they want applicants to get everything (finger prints, personal recommendation that applicant is of good moral character) before submitting hours and transcripts. This is very different than NY, which allowed applicants to mail things in as they completed them. Am I understanding this correctly? Here is the site. Any currently licensed NJ psychologists on? Where do I begin?

Did you ever figure this out? I’m in a similar situation, just passed the EPPP and got licensed in Virginia but having trouble navigating the New Jersey process to apply via score transfer since the process seems so different than other states I am familiar with.
Any advice or information on the application (which seems to include an application for supervision) and process is appreciated!

So, I successfully obtained my NY license (yay) and am still working on NJ.

I heard from the board and they approval all of my postdoc hours, but stated that I do not have enough direct client contact hours before obtaining my doctorate. This feels so odd to me, as I successfully completed a full-time APA internship and with a total of 596 face-to-face hours; NJ requires 1000. Specifically,

1. Two (2) years of full-time (3,500 hours) supervised practice, at least one (1) year of which (1,750 hours) is acquired subsequent to receiving the doctorate with the following breakdown:
    1. 1,000 client contact hours;

1. 200 hours of supervision (at least 100 of which must be individual supervision, the remainder may be group or individual supervision); and

1. 550 hours in work-related activities such as recordkeeping, consultations, report writing, etc.

This means I am 404 hours short. I guess I need to contact all of my externships and hope they still have my hours available to fill out the required form. I have my APPIC hours, but it sounds like they want a signature from each externship supervisor. Has anyone heard of this for state licensure? NY just asked about internship and postdoc. I am so frustrated.

Last edited:

I heard from the board and they approval all of my postdoc hours, but stated that I do not have enough direct client contact hours before obtaining my doctorate. This feels so odd to me, as I successfully completed a full-time APA internship and with a total of 596 face-to-face hours; NJ requires 1000. Specifically,

1. Two (2) years of full-time (3,500 hours) supervised practice, at least one (1) year of which (1,750 hours) is acquired subsequent to receiving the doctorate with the following breakdown:

1. 200 hours of supervision (at least 100 of which must be individual supervision, the remainder may be group or individual supervision); and

1. 550 hours in work-related activities such as recordkeeping, consultations, report writing, etc.

This means I am 404 hours short. I guess I need to contact all of my externships and hope they still have my hours available to fill out the required form. I have my APPIC hours, but it sounds like they want a signature from each externship supervisor. Has anyone heard of this for state licensure? NJ just asked about internship and postdoc. I am so frustrated.

Isn’t that just talking about hours after receiving your doctorate? I don’t see anything referring to predoctoral hours.

Isn’t that just talking about hours after receiving your doctorate? I don’t see anything referring to predoctoral hours.

When I called to check in on my application, they said I was 404 short on pre-doctoral hours and said I am good with postdoc hours. This is what confused me because I meet the numbers the way I understand it. Are you licensed in NJ? Any input?

When I called to check in on my application, they said I was 404 short on pre-doctoral hours and said I am good with postdoc hours. This is what confused me because I meet the numbers the way I understand it. Are you licensed in NJ? Any input?

Nope, not licensed yet, sorry! Based on what you posted though, I can see why you are confused.

Not licensed in NJ, but here are the official regulations:
http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/regulations/Chapter-42-Board-of-Psychological-Examiners.pdf

Page 20 (19 not a nckuding the cover page) breaks the 3500 hours into TWO one year periods of 1750 each. So for both internship and post doc, it reads like 1000 hours face to face time is required. And tbh, 596 hours on internship seems on the low end, if you consider full time 40 hours times 48 weeks (to account for holidays, sick, PTO ETC). That makes it seem like you only averaged 12 clients a week? Hopefully someone licensed in NJ can provide some feedback for you.

Not licensed in NJ, but here are the official regulations:
http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/regulations/Chapter-42-Board-of-Psychological-Examiners.pdf

Page 20 (19 not a nckuding the cover page) breaks the 3500 hours into TWO one year periods of 1750 each. So for both internship and post doc, it reads like 1000 hours face to face time is required. And tbh, 596 hours on internship seems on the low end, if you consider full time 40 hours times 48 weeks (to account for holidays, sick, PTO ETC). That makes it seem like you only averaged 12 clients a week? Hopefully someone licensed in NJ can provide some feedback for you.

Thanks for the info. I am going to call again tomorrow. As for internship, I completed mine at an academic medical center and 15 hours face-to-face was average for a week. We had a lot of other things though, such as a day dedicated to research and another to didactics, so it is probably different than the counseling heavy ones :)

This means I am 404 hours short. I guess I need to contact all of my externships and hope they still have my hours available to fill out the required form. I have my APPIC hours, but it sounds like they want a signature from each externship supervisor. Has anyone heard of this for state licensure? NY just asked about internship and postdoc. I am so frustrated.

I work in an exempt setting, so my path to licensure will be different than yours, but I did run into this issue with my predoctoral hours for NJ (I also had an APA internship). There's not much you can do about that part, but you make up for it with your post-doctoral hours. Your pre-internship hours wouldn't count here, so don't bother getting externship hours signed off. The problem I ran into is that NJ limits how many face-to-face hours you can accrue per work week. So I was accruing a lot more than they accepted per week (for post-doc) and therefore it took me a while to make up those hours. I'm also licensed in NY and it's absurd how different the requirements are. Their forms were so basic, it was like they wanted to know as little about my hours as possible.

I work in an exempt setting, so my path to licensure will be different than yours, but I did run into this issue with my predoctoral hours for NJ (I also had an APA internship). There's not much you can do about that part, but you make up for it with your post-doctoral hours. Your pre-internship hours wouldn't count here, so don't bother getting externship hours signed off. The problem I ran into is that NJ limits how many face-to-face hours you can accrue per work week. So I was accruing a lot more than they accepted per week (for post-doc) and therefore it took me a while to make up those hours. I'm also licensed in NY and it's absurd how different the requirements are. Their forms were so basic, it was like they wanted to know as little about my hours as possible.

Thanks. I did my postdoc at a VA and earned a lot of hours, but they are only counting 1000 because they will not count more than 20 hours per week! Now that I finished postdoc and am working as a psychologist in NY I do not know if I could count my employment hours, even if supervised, since I will be working under my own NY license and not that of my supervisor. I am going to call the board, but do you know if my employment hours will count as contact hours if I am working under my own license but am also being supervised? Or do I need to be working under my supervisors license?

Thanks. I did my postdoc at a VA and earned a lot of hours, but they are only counting 1000 because they will not count more than 20 hours per week! Now that I finished postdoc and am working as a psychologist in NY I do not know if I could count my employment hours, even if supervised, since I will be working under my own NY license and not that of my supervisor. I am going to call the board, but do you know if my employment hours will count as contact hours if I am working under my own license but am also being supervised? Or do I need to be working under my supervisors license?

That’s a very specific question I would pose to the board (ask to speak to the director, J. Michael Walker). I had already started the NJ process while waiting to be approved in NY. Once NY licensed me, I didn’t dare confuse the process further by saying I was now licensed in another state and asking them to proceed that way.

That’s a very specific question I would pose to the board (ask to speak to the director, J. Michael Walker). I had already started the NJ process while waiting to be approved in NY. Once NY licensed me, I didn’t dare confuse the process further by saying I was now licensed in another state and asking them to proceed that way.

Thanks! I called today and was told that employment hours do count, as long as I am being supervised, even if I am working under my own license in another state. Phew! I was getting nervous about needing to take on an additional position outside of my place of employment to get hours. Hopefully this info will be helpful to others in the future :) NJ is definitely a challenging state for licensure.

Reactions: 1 user