NJ NG to Navy or Navy HPSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorS_

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all -- I'd like to consult the wisdom of this board. I'm a first year med student in NJ with an interest in EM as a specialty (considering others and open minded but strong feeling I will end up in EM). I also have an interest in serving in the military (so not just considering these for the money). I have a strong desire to be a Navy physician, but I am open to other branches.

Here are the two paths I am considering:

1. NJ ARNG/ANG for a 2 or 4 year contract (is this even possible? still waiting to hear from the AMEDD recruiter -- preferably 3 years but I have only hear of even year numbered contracts) in drilling status without MDSSP. Afterwards, should I desire to continue with the Navy, I would attempt to enter go through Navy FAP or TMS or direct commission after residency. The pros of this option is 100% tuition waiver (program by NJ) and civilian residency. Con would be having to switch branches.

2. 3 year Navy HPSP. Pro would be scholarship and being with Navy from the start, but con would be the fact that I owe 3 years as a physician. I'm not completely sure where I want to be professionally, but the option of either mil residency or 3 year GMO tour and out sounds like a pro.

I originally did not consider Reserves/NG because I wanted to be all-or-nothing (AD or nothing) -- I feel like deployments, drill, and annual training would be difficult on colleagues I practice with in the future. Now looking more closely at their programs, NG seems to have the most benefit. I considered USNR, but for the same commitment, NG has more benefit.

Any opinions on either? I have lurked on this board for years, so I have read about the negatives associated with mil med. I still have the desire to be involved, and this has been present for years so I'm not sure if it will go away.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
army NG does not have an commissioning period less than 6 years....there is no medical incentive program in the air guard. A state with free tuition for guard membership is golden and makes the idea of signing up with no incentives (still out in 6 without ever facing deployment) a freaking dream financially

make sure you understand any strings to the NJ free tuition

army NG does not have an commissioning period less than 6 years....there is no medical incentive program in the air guard. A state with free tuition for guard membership is golden and makes the idea of signing up with no incentives (still out in 6 without ever facing deployment) a freaking dream financially

make sure you understand any strings to the NJ free tuition

I thought as much, but I am still waiting to hear from the recruiter. She stated in a previous conversation that a direct commission student would be able to choose how many years in active drilling status. I'm waiting to see what is actually on paper. The NJ program seems no strings attached -- drilling NG = 100% tuition. Again, waiting on the specifics on the program.

http://www.state.nj.us/military/education/NJNGTP.htm

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Before you join, be sure you understand what the actual day-to-day job of a military Emergency Medicine physician is. It is astonishingly low acuity. People on the outside mostly don't realize that military hospitals in the United States are surrounded by fences with gates and guards, and ambulances don't go there. A military ER in the US is an urgent care clinic for mostly healthy active duty personnel, their mostly healthy families, and retirees who present with the kind of semi-acute to acute problems geriatric people encounter. It's not a knife and gun club. It can be busy, but that's a function of volume.

To be clear, there's no multi-organ-system trauma at military hospitals. None. Zippo.[1]

Deployment may or may not be any different. For the last 10 years or so, for every EM physician deployed to a busy role 3 trauma facility in the middle east, there were probably 5 who went to role 2 joints and saw sick call for 7 or 18 months, and could count real trauma patients on their fingers.

If I had $1 for every active duty EM physician I've ever met who was disappointed with what he was actually doing in the military, I'd have lunch money for this entire week.

[1] Well, there's one Army hospital in Texas that's a level 1, but it's the exception that proves the rule.

Before you join, be sure you understand what the actual day-to-day job of a military Emergency Medicine physician is. It is astonishingly low acuity. People on the outside mostly don't realize that military hospitals in the United States are surrounded by fences with gates and guards, and ambulances don't go there. A military ER in the US is an urgent care clinic for mostly healthy active duty personnel, their mostly healthy families, and retirees who present with the kind of semi-acute to acute problems geriatric people encounter. It's not a knife and gun club. It can be busy, but that's a function of volume.

To be clear, there's no multi-organ-system trauma at military hospitals. None. Zippo.[1]

Deployment may or may not be any different. For the last 10 years or so, for every EM physician deployed to a busy role 3 trauma facility in the middle east, there were probably 5 who went to role 2 joints and saw sick call for 7 or 18 months, and could count real trauma patients on their fingers.

If I had $1 for every active duty EM physician I've ever met who was disappointed with what he was actually doing in the military, I'd have lunch money for this entire week.

[1] Well, there's one Army hospital in Texas that's a level 1, but it's the exception that proves the rule.

I take it you would be one to advocate for Reserves/NG for anyone interested in mil med? Maintain civilian employment with acuity to learn from, have the skills to perform the sick call and manage the occasional trauma if deployed.

Sorry to double post -- just curious, what is the thought on GMO and out for Navy? If I do a 3 year HPSP, I'll have a 3 year commitment after internship. As I understand it, there are 3 year GMO billets, so I could just take one and then apply for civilian residency

Sorry to double post -- just curious, what is the thought on GMO and out for Navy? If I do a 3 year HPSP, I'll have a 3 year commitment after internship. As I understand it, there are 3 year GMO billets, so I could just take one and then apply for civilian residency

Done all the time.

Just be aware it is difficult to interview for residency when you are in the middle of the Pacific...

Update:

I spoke with the NJ ARNG AMEDD recruiter. From the conversation (read: nothing in writing), it seems like I can take a contract for 4 years drilling and 4 years IRR (or 6 drilling/2 IRR). If this is true, it would be the best option as it would take me to the end of internship year (read: no/limited medical license until after my drilling obligation is up [therefore undeployable?]).

As a follow-up assuming the 4+4 contract is possible: could I switch to Navy AD or Reserve rather than serve the IRR if I decide to continue serving in the military? Is it naive/silly for me to go ARNG at all with my desire to go Navy?

Plan with the above in mind: 4 years ARNG drilling without MDSSP (to PGY1) --> USNR with TMS through residency --> USNR payback

Last edited:
Another update if anyone is following this or if someone finds this thread in their research:

I'm still in limbo between ARNG and Navy. Still sorting through the possibilities and figuring out what is best for me, my life, and my career. However, I've decided to move forward with both application processes. The new fiscal year has started and applicants for HPSP will likely start submitting application packets soon so I don't want to miss out by waiting too long. Per the recruiter there are less 3 year HPSP spots than 4 year spots, thereby increasing competition.

I think I'm leaning towards ARNG right now because of civilian residency options and contract length (whether the 4 year contract exists or just 6 year). I think it would be a good trial period to see if military is really where I want to be. If I don't take MDSSP, I would finish after PGY1 if 4 year contract or after PGY3 if 6 year. The only thing holding me back is my desire to go Navy (Naive? Perhaps). I'll continue to post updates as they come for any future readers (or I'll sit down and shut up if those on the forum don't want this thread to keep bubbling to the top).