NJ resident / 3.1 uGPA, 4.0 post-bacc, 3.54 cGPA, 3.77sGPA, 38 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wiloghby

Perpetually interviewing
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone...

I'm applying to allopathic/MD programs this June...
The only med school pre-reqs I took at the institution where I earned my degree were physics and calculus.

I majored in engineering at one of the top 3 engineering schools in the country. I didn't know what to major in and never really had that spark of passion so I ended up with a 3.1. That's a 3.1 with grades all over the place A, B, C, and a single D in a physics majors only course that I decided to take "for fun".

Did a post-bacc and want to go to medical school.

Here are my stats:

3.11 uGPA
from top top top engineering school, with poor grade trend (3.33/3.14/3.14/3.05) -- 101 credits over 4 years (all other credits were P/F). Senior GPA would be higher but my school doesn't put B+ on transcript or in GPA calculation. At most schools my senior GPA would be >3.14.

MCAT: 38 (13P, 12V, 13B)

4.0 GPA in piecemeal post-bacc.. 92 credits over the last 2 years!!!
55 of these credits were taken at a CC because I couldn't afford the tuition for my state school at the time...but ALL of the premed requirements were taken at the 4-year state school.

This brings my cumulative stats to:
cGPA: 3.54 sGPA: 3.77 (only cuz engineering classes don't count as "science")

ECs:
Volunteer EMT-B (~900 hours by the time of application)
college math tutor at local CC (~6-10 hrs/week depending on the semester).
volunteer in a local small ER (~32 hours).
shadowing a primary care physician (~30 hours).
volunteer at non-medical non-profit (just starting...)

Research:

Magnetooptical thin films (senior thesis)

Soil metagenomic library construction and analysis (2012)
(poster presentation locally & submitted several nucleotide sequences and hypothetical proteins to GenBank).

Indicators of Success at Community College (2012)
A statistics project...done over the course of a semester.

LORs:
Going through my post-bacc univeristy's pre-medical committee. Classes are very large (~200-500 students in some premed courses), but I have solicited recommendations from professors where I was either the best student in that course for that year or in one case the best student (grade-wise) in their career. I wish the professors knew me better personally, but it's hard...

I do have some LORs from the CC professor I did research with (also one of my "upper level" CC bio professors) and he knows me very well, but he's a CC professor so I don't know if that is advisable to use.

What are my chances of getting into an allopathic medical school the first time I apply? What do you think about the LOR issue? Which schools should I apply to? I'm planning to do some graduate work in my glide year in case I have to reapply...is that a good idea?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i dont see what you are worried about...your current 3.5/3.7 and 38 is pretty close to fantastic, and while some may doubt those CC courses, your MCAT and tough ugrad major should ease most doubts. ECs are looking good as well.

i wouldn't start celebrating just yet...but you know the outcome already...

wait.... all of your pre-reqs were completed at a 4-yr, with a 4.0? well if that's the case, i would begin to consider some of the top schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont see what you are worried about...your current 3.5/3.7 and 38 is pretty close to fantastic, and while some may doubt those CC courses, your MCAT and tough ugrad major should ease most doubts. ECs are looking good as well.

i wouldn't start celebrating just yet...but you know the outcome already...

wait.... all of your pre-reqs were completed at a 4-yr, with a 4.0? well if that's the case, i would begin to consider some of the top schools.

Yes, all of the core required pre-reqs were taken at a 4-year school with ONLY a math/science courseload averaging 16 credits/semester.

All of the non-"required" courses that I took as electives out of interest for what modern biology is up to these days (genetics, micro, cell&molecular, A&P, etc.) were taken at a CC. So I kind of took the classes in reverse order compared to a typical pre-med... I took my premed "weedout" classes at a 4-year and my "upper" electives at a CC ... (I am aware that upper divison classes don't really exist at CC.)

Again, I would much rather have taken all of these classes at my local 4-year public universities.. but I couldn't afford it.

Yes, all of the core required pre-reqs were taken at a 4-year school with ONLY a math/science courseload averaging 16 credits/semester.

All of the non-"required" courses that I took as electives out of interest for what modern biology is up to these days (genetics, micro, cell&molecular, A&P, etc.) were taken at a CC. So I kind of took the classes in reverse order compared to a typical pre-med... I took my premed "weedout" classes at a 4-year and my "upper" electives at a CC ... (I am aware that upper divison classes don't really exist at CC.)

you are in excellent shape...quit worrying

Don't aim too high, and your chances will be pretty good. Definitely try your state schools, and those neighboring as well. BU, Tulane and SUNY Upstate like students like you.

Hi everyone...

I'm applying to allopathic/MD programs this June...
The only med school pre-reqs I took at the institution where I earned my degree were physics and calculus.

I majored in engineering at one of the top 3 engineering schools in the country. I didn't know what to major in and never really had that spark of passion so I ended up with a 3.1. That's a 3.1 with grades all over the place A, B, C, and a single D in a physics majors only course that I decided to take "for fun".

Did a post-bacc and want to go to medical school.

Here are my stats:

3.11 uGPA
from top top top engineering school, with poor grade trend (3.33/3.14/3.14/3.05) -- 101 credits over 4 years (all other credits were P/F). Senior GPA would be higher but my school doesn't put B+ on transcript or in GPA calculation. At most schools my senior GPA would be >3.14.

MCAT: 38 (13P, 12V, 13B)

4.0 GPA in piecemeal post-bacc.. 92 credits over the last 2 years!!!
55 of these credits were taken at a CC because I couldn't afford the tuition for my state school at the time...but ALL of the premed requirements were taken at the 4-year state school.

This brings my cumulative stats to:
cGPA: 3.54 sGPA: 3.77 (only cuz engineering classes don't count as "science")

ECs:
Volunteer EMT-B (~900 hours by the time of application)
college math tutor at local CC (~6-10 hrs/week depending on the semester).
volunteer in a local small ER (~32 hours).
shadowing a primary care physician (~30 hours).
volunteer at non-medical non-profit (just starting...)

Research:

Magnetooptical thin films (senior thesis)

Soil metagenomic library construction and analysis (2012)
(poster presentation locally & submitted several nucleotide sequences and hypothetical proteins to GenBank).

Indicators of Success at Community College (2012)
A statistics project...done over the course of a semester.

LORs:
Going through my post-bacc univeristy's pre-medical committee. Classes are very large (~200-500 students in some premed courses), but I have solicited recommendations from professors where I was either the best student in that course for that year or in one case the best student (grade-wise) in their career. I wish the professors knew me better personally, but it's hard...

I do have some LORs from the CC professor I did research with (also one of my "upper level" CC bio professors) and he knows me very well, but he's a CC professor so I don't know if that is advisable to use.

What are my chances of getting into an allopathic medical school the first time I apply? What do you think about the LOR issue? Which schools should I apply to? I'm planning to do some graduate work in my glide year in case I have to reapply...is that a good idea?

Thanks for the reply, Goro! I have read many of your posts over the last couple of years. I did get the same vibe from BU/Tulane that you mention here and these schools are already on my school list (which I drew up after posting this...). I will add SUNY Upstate though! Mucho gracias!

Don't aim too high, and your chances will be pretty good. Definitely try your state schools, and those neighboring as well. BU, Tulane and SUNY Upstate like students like you.