NJ Resident, 3.3 cGPA, 3.45 BCPM, 35 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJPreMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recent graduate from a top-15 college, with very little grade inflation, where I took on a challenging course-load (Biology major, Chemistry minor). Stats are: cGPA 3.3, BCPM 3.45, 35 MCAT, NJ resident. Great EC's, club president, captain of athletic team, community service, physician shadowing, 3-4 years of research with several publications, volunteer work, leadership, etc. What are my chances of getting into ANY allopathic school (in-state, and lower-tier) if I apply early next cycle? Or at this point should I be looking at osteopathic schools or post-bacc programs?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Recent graduate from a top-15 college, with very little grade inflation, where I took on a challenging course-load (Biology major, Chemistry minor). Stats are: cGPA 3.3, BCPM 3.45, 35 MCAT, NJ resident. Great EC's, club president, captain of athletic team, community service, physician shadowing, 3-4 years of research with several publications, volunteer work, leadership, etc. What are my chances of getting into ANY allopathic school (in-state, and lower-tier) if I apply early next cycle? Or at this point should I be looking at osteopathic schools or post-bacc programs?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I think you are right there. Your MCAT should get you some looks along with ECs. You know the GPA could be better. Instate schools are your MD shot. Work on them and let them know you are interested.

Postbac would really make you competitive though. I would apply next yr and perhaps start classes trying to raise the GPA. I would take a few easy ones and a science or two. Classes are classes.

That way you have some more classes under your belt just in case you need to reapply. I would go after MD if I were you. I think you can get there.

Do you have a strong upward trend with your GPA?

I don't know that there was an upward trend in my grades. I think it's worth mentioning that in my first several years I did very well in the pre-med requirements (Mostly A's and A-s in Intro Biology, Organic, General Chemistry, Physics). It was only after I moved on to the much higher level seminar classes in biology and chemistry that my BCPM gpa fell, as few (if any) A level grades were handed out in these writing intensive and discussion based classes, and I accumulated a handful of B's and B+'s. Additionally, it's probably worth noting that I went to a school without a core curriculum so my cGPA is probably lower as a result of significant academic exploration on my part (history of film, sociology, philosophy, history, women's studies, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know that there was an upward trend in my grades. I think it's worth mentioning that in my first several years I did very well in the pre-med requirements (Mostly A's and A-s in Intro Biology, Organic, General Chemistry, Physics). It was only after I moved on to the much higher level seminar classes in biology and chemistry that my BCPM gpa fell, as few (if any) A level grades were handed out in these writing intensive and discussion based classes, and I accumulated a handful of B's and B+'s. Additionally, it's probably worth noting that I went to a school without a core curriculum so my cGPA is probably lower as a result of significant academic exploration on my part (history of film, sociology, philosophy, history, women's studies, etc).

Reason I asked was because a strong, upward trend would help that GPA out. You have a shot. But, I would get classes going just in case though. That way your in good position for a reapp....

Apply broadly. I applied to ~20 schools around the end of July with a similar GPA as you w/o much of an upward trend, and a very strong (40+) MCAT to mostly public schools with a reputation for taking many out-of-staters. I have 7 interviews and an acceptance (Buffalo) so far. Get the clinical experience, know why you're doing it, present yourself well in interviews, and you'll be fine.

Apply broadly. I applied to ~20 schools around the end of July with a similar GPA as you w/o much of an upward trend, and a very strong (40+) MCAT to mostly public schools with a reputation for taking many out-of-staters. I have 7 interviews and an acceptance (Buffalo) so far. Get the clinical experience, know why you're doing it, present yourself well in interviews, and you'll be fine.

Please note the 40+ MCAT....kinda hard to do for most...:rolleyes: