NJMS (50% Tuition) vs. Hackensack SOM (100% Tuition)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IncomingMD

Reaction score
Hey there guys,

I am having trouble deciding between these two. I understand NJMS is more established, however HMSOM seems promising and they have the optional graduation in 3 years if I decided to go with Cardio (one of my interests). Both schools are less than 25min away from my home. which is what I wanted. I am not 100% sure of a residency yet, but it will most likely be one of the competitive ones (ortho, optho, ENT, cardio). I would very much appreciate some input from you all. Thank in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

full rides are tough to come by and, as you said, Hackensack seems to have a good thing going. I think they might struggle a bit nationally at first, but they have tremendous resources in the area if you’re trying to match back into the northeast. I’d take the free MD and run w it, even if you have to network slightlyyy harder

Reactions: 1 user
How much more expensive will NJMS be? If you want to do cardio go to Hackensack if you are really interested in a competitive specialty consider if NJMS is worth that price. Just assuming that in state is half the tuition of a private school and you got half tuition off of that you will really "only" be paying for one year of tuition which in the grand scheme of things is not much.

You have been a big advocator for Hackensack which makes me think you are going to go there. You know the pros and cons of the school now you just need to decide.

Members don't see this ad :)
full rides are tough to come by and, as you said, Hackensack seems to have a good thing going. I think they might struggle a bit nationally at first, but they have tremendous resources in the area if you’re trying to match back into the northeast. I’d take the free MD and run w it, even if you have to network slightlyyy harder
That's how I am leaning at the moment.

How much more expensive will NJMS be? If you want to do cardio go to Hackensack if you are really interested in a competitive specialty consider if NJMS is worth that price. Just assuming that in state is half the tuition of a private school and you got half tuition off of that you will really "only" be paying for one year of tuition which in the grand scheme of things is not much.

You have been a big advocator for Hackensack which makes me think you are going to go there. You know the pros and cons of the school now you just need to decide.
25k/year is how much NJMS would cost me. But what you said makes a lot of sense. Their match lists are impressive, so higher chances at competitive programs there.

Last edited:
I obviously do not know your financial situation but 100k total over 4 years for medical school is not an egregious amount. It is a question of if you are willing to pay that extra amount for a better shot at a super competitive specialty if NJMS offers you that. If you get into a competitive specialty the extra 100k won't be an absurd amount to pay off if you are taking it on as debt.

NJMS. 100k isn’t that much if you do something competitive. And even if you don’t, it’s becoming less and less by the day With Inflation 8%.

Where would you be happier all things considered? Go with your gut!

I am biased, but I will say that NJMS has a really good track record of matching the competitive specialties you're interested in and research in Ortho, Ophto and ENT at NJMS is pretty easy to come by. At the very least it won't hold you back to go there.
The other thing I'd think about is the pre-clinical curriculum and how that might affect things - NJMS just changed theirs to graded and ranked, which is not the biggest positive imo

I am biased, but I will say that NJMS has a really good track record of matching the competitive specialties you're interested in and research in Ortho, Ophto and ENT at NJMS is pretty easy to come by. At the very least it won't hold you back to go there.
The other thing I'd think about is the pre-clinical curriculum and how that might affect things - NJMS just changed theirs to graded and ranked, which is not the biggest positive imo
I didn't know they had those specific research opportunities. That's definitely a plus. In regards to the ranking, I still do not know how I feel about it. I can definitely see it as a way to stand out from other students.

NJMS. 100k isn’t that much if you do something competitive. And even if you don’t, it’s becoming less and less by the day With Inflation 8%.
Is it, though? Doesn't the 8% also inflate the $100K, or at least the $75K that isn't billed this year? :)

I don't want to put down NJMS, because it's certainly a decent state school with a decent track record and a decent match list, but it's not like it's T20 or anything.

Saying that a school in its tier is so much better than a brand new, unranked school with the resources and location of a Hackensack is probably vastly overstating the case. I am reasonably confident that the people running Hackensack know what they are doing, and the whole point of the scholarships is to attract people like @3yrtoMD so that, in a few years, you are looking at Hackensack's match list and telling people how great it is.

Hackensack is a new, private school connected to a huge hospital system in the largest metro area in the country, that now has funding to attract some top applicants with free tuition. If anyone thinks it is not going to be at least as good as the Rutgers schools, or that its match lists are going to suck when the people they are throwing money at graduate, then they should avoid the school, because no one should jeopardize their future over money that can be borrowed and repaid.

But saying that a #74 school is materially better than any other MD school in the country with respect to matching into "competitive specialties" is probably an overstatement. A star will do well anywhere, but NJMS isn't Harvard, and Hackensack isn't CNU, so the difference, if any, probably isn't worth $100K plus interest. It is very likely though, that other people turning down places like Case Western to grab free tuition are going to produce a very decent match list for Hackensack in 2026, at which point they will not be giving full scholarships to attract people like @3yrtoMD.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Is it, though? Doesn't the 8% also inflate the $100K, or at least the $75K that isn't billed this year? :)

I don't want to put down NJMS, because it's certainly a decent state school with a decent track record and a decent match list, but it's not like it's T20 or anything.

Saying that a school in its tier is so much better than a brand new, unranked school with the resources and location of a Hackensack is probably vastly overstating the case. I am reasonably confident that the people running Hackensack know what they are doing, and the whole point of the scholarships is to attract people like @3yrtoMD so that, in a few years, you are looking at Hackensack's match list and telling people how great it is.

Hackensack is a new, private school connected to a huge hospital system in the largest metro area in the country, that now has funding to attract some top applicants with free tuition. If anyone thinks it is not going to be at least as good as the Rutgers schools, or that its match lists are going to suck when the people they are throwing money at graduate, then they should avoid the school, because no one should jeopardize their future over money that can be borrowed and repaid.

But saying that a #74 school is materially better than any other MD school in the country with respect to matching into "competitive specialties" is probably an overstatement. A star will do well anywhere, but NJMS isn't Harvard, and Hackensack isn't CNU, so the difference, if any, probably isn't worth $100K plus interest. It is very likely though, that other people turning down places like Case Western to grab free tuition are going to produce a very decent match list for Hackensack in 2026, at which point they will not be giving full scholarships to attract people like @3yrtoMD.
Well said Knight. Definitely taking that into account.

Fixed rate (aka federal loans) are great for borrowers. Not so much for lenders

Fixed rate (aka federal loans) are great for borrowers. Not so much for lenders
Yup. But we don't have a fixed rate, since we are forced to take a new loan every year at a new rate.

Coincidentally, the rate for next year was set just today, and it's around 1.25% higher than last year's rate. The rate is only going to go up each year for the next few years, so we're not in such a great place after all. Tuition and fees are also sure to rise every year we are in school.

So, no, high inflation is not going to help us at all while we are in school. Maybe after we graduate, if we refinance at a fixed rate and inflation continues to eat away at the value of our fixed monthly payments. But not while we are subject to tuition being inflated every year, and while the rate we borrow at every year floats with the market.

Tour was fantastic. I was there for literally 3 hours talking to the assistant dean of admissions and my interviewer. They just called me 10 minutes ago and upped my scholarship slightly.
I hope that makes your decision easier not harder whichever way you go.

Reactions: 1 users
25k/year is how much NJMS would cost me. But what you said makes a lot of sense. Their match lists are somewhat respectable, so higher chances at competitive programs there.

You probably didn't intend it that way, but regardless of wherever you go, try to be more cognizant of how you come across with regards to arrogance.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
You probably didn't intend it that way, but regardless of wherever you go, try to be more cognizant of how you come across with regards to arrogance.
Yes sir! Definitely did not mean to sound arrogant at all. I am an immigrant with a limited English vocabulary, so it was definitely a poor choice of words. Change has been made to true meaning. Thanks for the heads up!

Reactions: 2 users