Njms Or Rwj?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taddpole

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sooo, I interviewed at both- I was accepted to NJMS and I'm waiting to hear from RWJ. Obviously hoping for an acceptance...but, there are positives and negatives to both schools, and if I'm accepted to both, I need help deciding. What do you peeps view the plusses and minuses of each...I can start...

NJMS- In Newark (negative); level 1 trauma and inner city (positive); up to date technology and library (+)..........

RWJ- College-ish town (+); two campuses (-); nicer facilities (+); technology lacking a bit (older computer, no real library, just media center and two study hallways with cubicles -)

What do you guys think? I need opinions....

Members don't see this ad.

i made the same forum awhile ago because i seemed to hear a lot more positive stuff about njms. i interviewed at robert wood and thought it was really nice, but declined my interview at njms.

why did you decline your njms interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I often talk to one of posters on here (ASDIC) often.

The impression he gives me of NJMS vs. RWJ, is the same thing that a Floridian would say about USF vs. UF.

It is also the same impression I got by what you posted earlier.

My understanding, from ASDIC and a few others, is that like UF, RWJ is more focused towards research and what not and not as diverse in its patient population, and number of hospitals. Its location is also a lot like UF's location, from my understanding based on what these Jersey residents tell me.

My understanding of NJMS, however, is that it is supposedly one with a lot of diverse hospitals and patient populations, located in a bigger city giving more diversity, and with a greater family sort of feel between the students.....that's much the same way USF is here in Florida.

There are other things I've been told as well which lead me to believe it is quite similar to USF.

Because of ASDIC suggesting this master's program up there, I had done some research into the school and got a great impression of it, as well as the program there.

Oh btw, speaking of ASDIC, I think he'd probably be able to answer some of your NJMS related questions as so would Dr.Guy22

I had this internal debate and I don't know what i would choose

to me it is RWJ(better professors) vs NJMS(better clinical)...atleast in my mind

Newark sucks big time and piscataway is awsome for food

I had this internal debate and I don't know what i would choose

to me it is RWJ(better professors) vs NJMS(better clinical)...atleast in my mind

Newark sucks big time and piscataway is awsome for food

I didn't apply to NJMS so I can't speak about that school, but I did interview and get in to RWJ... First of all, if you're going to pick NJMS for a better clinical experience and you want the whole inner city pt deal than you can opt to go to Camden for your last two years at RWJ instead... 1/3 of the class goes to Camden for rotations, and the other 2/3 stay at RWJ and go to several different hospitals including RWJ, Monmouth, Muhlenberg, Princeton, etc... So, RWJ can definitely offer you an equal clinical experience. As far as curriculum goes, RWJ seemed pretty hardcore traditional to me so if you're looking for that, then they're the place for you. I also went to Rutgers for ugrad.... (RWJ is located on Rutgers campus) so if you have any questions about the area, nightlife, etc., then feel free to pm me. Good luck!

javert said:
I didn't apply to NJMS so I can't speak about that school, but I did interview and get in to RWJ... First of all, if you're going to pick NJMS for a better clinical experience and you want the whole inner city pt deal than you can opt to go to Camden for your last two years at RWJ instead... 1/3 of the class goes to Camden for rotations, and the other 2/3 stay at RWJ and go to several different hospitals including RWJ, Monmouth, Muhlenberg, Princeton, etc... So, RWJ can definitely offer you an equal clinical experience. As far as curriculum goes, RWJ seemed pretty hardcore traditional to me so if you're looking for that, then they're the place for you. I also went to Rutgers for ugrad.... (RWJ is located on Rutgers campus) so if you have any questions about the area, nightlife, etc., then feel free to pm me. Good luck!

ditto, plus i've always been a little wary of newark.

i dunno, the feeling i got at rwj was that it was pretty disconnected. i mean, school's in piscataway, hospitals are in new brunswick/camden. it's hard to explain, it just seemed a little cold, detached, sprawled out, very different from the vibe i got at njms.

my advice is that if you are deciding between RWJMS and NJMS and you get put into the camden side for your clinical years (at RWJMS), opt for NJMS.

As much as people want to rag on NJMS for being in newark and in a bad area, Camden has been voted the most dangerous city in the nation for the second year straight.

P.S. I would recommend getting advice from people that go to both schools rather than pre-meds (no offense but unless you're at the school, you don't know the in's and out's to give good advice)

:thumbup:
4 Ever said:
my advice is that if you are deciding between RWJMS and NJMS and you get put into the camden side for your clinical years (at RWJMS), opt for NJMS.

As much as people want to rag on NJMS for being in newark and in a bad area, Camden has been voted the most dangerous city in the nation for the second year straight.

P.S. I would recommend getting advice from people that go to both schools rather than pre-meds (no offense but unless you're at the school, you don't know the in's and out's to give good advice)
i agree...

Newark IS NOT ALL THAT BAD. Its just like any other city. U have to be careful of your surrounding, thats all. As far as I know, there arent very many gang fights or anything like tat anymore and there are police roaming the streets of Newark all day and night.

As far as both schools are concerned. NJMS has more of a family feel. The administration is great and so are most of the professors and it has a GREAT NEW CURRICULUM. I cant say anything bout the RWJ curriculum. I vistited Rutgers-NB last week, and while I was there I also went to RWJ just to see what it was like; it was a ghost town. NO ONE WAS THERE! personally, id go nuts there. but thats just my opinion. DO wat u feel is rite.

4 Ever said:

As much as people want to rag on NJMS for being in newark and in a bad area, Camden has been voted the most dangerous city in the nation for the second year straight.)

Just a note- I recently was accepted to RWJ and chose the Camden campus for the following reasons- As a South Jersey resident I could live at home and be at Cooper in 20 mintues, tops. Plus the students on the Camden campus said that the main benefit to doing rotations at Cooper is that you get to see a wide range of things, a very diverse patient base (Cooper serves as a trauma center not just to Camden but to the surrounding rich suburbs as well), and all without traveling around so much. As for Camden being dangerous, the area where the hospital is located is actually not bad at all. There are some big offices around there, the NJ Aquarium and the concert venues. This is kind of the "'touristy" part of Camden, and you can easily live in Philly or NJ and take public trans right to the hospitals front door. Having Philly close by is definitly a plus too as far as night life and all that goes! You're a 10 minute ferry ride from South Street. Any more question, you can PM me.