Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

NJMS Questions

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by theunderdog, Nov 16, 2005.

1. theunderdog

theunderdog Medical Student (Slave)
    7+ Year Member

hey guys, i have an interview coming up for NJMS later this month. i know about 70% of NJ applicants get interviewed.... based on MSAR.

but how many actually get accepted? i believe about 1000 instate apply, 777 get interviewed, and eventually, 147 matriculates.... for NJ residents though. total class = 170

also, does anyone know how far in the year NJMS interivews? or what the turnaround time is? i'm hoping to make that 1/6 luncheon (if i get accepted).....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. theunderdog

7+ Year Member

Bump!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. havoc14

havoc14 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

interviews go until april i think, but realistically, my understanding is that most of the class is selected by the luncheon. people who interview january and afterwards will most likely get waitlisted.

4. beponychick

beponychick SDN Angel
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    well i still havent heard anything. Im also praying i get accepted so that i can make the luncheon. But still no word. It will be 4 weeks post interview tomorrow.

5. 4 Ever

4 Ever Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You guys still have a ways to go before panicking. November/December are big interview months and most of the decisions are generally made during this time. I have heard that thanksgiving (or the day before) and christmas (or day before) are also times when Dr. Heinrich makes his calls.

6. theunderdog

7+ Year Member

so im interviewing in late november. when would i find out a decision?

7. G-Man82

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    they were actually really quick with my decision. I interviewed october 13th and got the call from dr. heinrich on the 30th. They told me they usually try to have a decision out by the end of the month but it can take anywhere from 2-6 weeks.

8. beponychick

beponychick SDN Angel
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Im curious guys, i havent heard of anyone being waitlisted at NJMS now. It seems everyone has gotten accepted. I am sitting on 4 weeks post-interview and i have not heard anything. Can they send me a waitlist letter or are they just not going to give me a decision for a few more weeks? im just curious what their protocol is in terms of waitlists and such.

THANKS!!

9. 4 Ever

4 Ever Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

check every email account that you have or had. Sometimes they send emails to an account that you completely forgot that you had. A friend of mine was asked to come back for a second interview but it was an account he forgot he had so he didnt find this out until he called to ask his status.

Aside from that, just be patient and hopefully things will workout for you. I know it can be quite a nerveracking experience waiting but once you get that call you'll be much happier and relieved

10. ASDIC

ASDIC The 9th Flotilla
    15+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i know they are having a Fall Fest tomm...anybody going?

11. BMW M3

BMW M3 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

What is the "fall fest"?

12. theunderdog

7+ Year Member

yeah, wtf is fall fest??

also, i am interviewing on the last day of november..... u guys think it's possible to hear a decision before the year is OUT??? considering NJMS closes out early in mid-dec right???

i really really want to make it to the jan lunch thing.

13. beponychick

beponychick SDN Angel
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    anybody need a date to the fall fest? ;) ;) :laugh: :laugh:

14. theunderdog

7+ Year Member

hey bepony chick,

who was your interviewer?

and WTF is fall fest??

also, i am interviewing on the last day of november..... u guys think it's possible to hear a decision before the year is OUT??? considering NJMS closes out early in mid-dec right???

i really really want to make it to the jan lunch thing.

15. BMW M3

BMW M3 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

So ... what is fall fest? I'll go if someone tells me what it is

16. beponychick

beponychick SDN Angel
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    dont know what fall fest is, but as a wanna-be NJMSite, I am offering myself to the highest bidder. :laugh:

underdog, i interviewed with Dr. David Dershewitz. He was absolutely fantastic and i have to honestly say that it was my best interview yet. Of course that probably doesnt mean much in the long run. :rolleyes:

Good luck to you. I hope you do hear before the year is out.

17. theunderdog

7+ Year Member

SWEET!

LOL.

anyway, do they give out the names of your interviewers before you begin?

i have a tour at like 1PM... interview at like 3 something... how does the day go??

thanks!

18. beponychick

beponychick SDN Angel
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

i had a morning interview so im not sure. i think you have a tour and lunch and then you interview. you probably do get the name of your interviewer before. there is no format presentation (which i think is the only negative part of the whole day) so you kinda just sit around in the waiting room and watch the white coat ceremony a gazillion times over and over. It's fun. I think I know everyone in last year's class! :laugh:

19. bubbleyum

bubbleyum Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

just called rwj-njms, i'm an out-of-state applicant, "average", and have been complete for about 7 weeks. they told me that my file has been already reviewed once and will be reviewed again. they also said their interviews are booked into january. is that a bad sign? that's so obviously saying "you've been passed over once already. just wait to get rejected."

:(

20. ASDIC

ASDIC The 9th Flotilla
    15+ Year Member

Medical Student
    well I was invited...since I am actually part of the current First year class...but i am sure u will be able to go next year.

but i guess it wud a good opportunity to meet the students and have some questions answered about the school...its tomm.

UMDNJ Fall Ball is a Festival/Carnival and 3-on-3 Basketball
    tournament in the
    UMDNJ GYM (Go through the doors in the right back corner of the MSB
    Cafeteria)

Sponsored by: NJMS Student Council, Seton Hall Law School and the NJMS
    Alumni Assiciation
    Date: November 18th, begins at 1pm
    Why are we holding this event: To donate all proceeds to the victims
    of the recent disasters! and of course to have some much needed fun :)

Details of Event:

1. Festival- $5dollar admission fee. UMDNJ clubs will be hosting
    carnival booths at which there will be carnival games, dunk tanks,
    food, and prizes (including iPods, jewelry, gift certificates) . Food
    (from Baja Fresh and Subway)and Drinks will be provided!

2. Basketball- 3-on-3 Half-court basketball. Pick your favorite of 20
    teams and come support them. Team include students from NJMS, GSBS,
    MPH, NJDS, and Faculty!!!

Tickets will be sold at the door!

21. theunderdog

7+ Year Member

same thing happened to me. i;ve been complete since early sept.... file has been reviwed once already... and they told me it wold be reviewed again in december...

so i dunno what that means...

22. bubbleyum

bubbleyum Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

wut, DECEMBER? do they only meet to review apps like once a month or something?
    december review means that even if they decide to invite you for an interview, the interview will probably be in march or something, which means that you are basically interviewing for the waitlist, no?

23. theunderdog

7+ Year Member

no, it just means they're going to review everybody else. once they finish reviewing everyone else (including august mcaters), then they';ll get back to us in december for a second review. interview will probably be in feb or march and honestly, i think thats' for a waitlist spot. it pisses me off.

24. G-Man82

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If I'm not mistaken, someone either in this NJMS thread or the other had mentioned to me that NJMS adcom meets every Thursday to make their decisions. From what I know, if you're out-of-state, you won't interview until late fall, early winter anyway, regardless of when you were complete. The interview process at NJMS to me seemed different from other schools. There is no real presentation of sorts; you just show up for the interview and then wait to take the tour if you want. No real planned day. So I'm assuming, though i'm not 100% sure at all, that they have interviews whenever and not necessarily on certain days of the week only. So, who really knows what goes in in the minds of med school admissions ... best bet really is to stay confident and hope for the best. According to MSAR (2005-06 edition) both RWJ and NJMS get more out-of-state applicants than in-state, but only interview about 10% of them. So, competition is stiff. At least waitlisted means you've still got a good chance.

25. beponychick

beponychick SDN Angel
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    underdog, i thought you already have an inteview scheduled?

26. theunderdog

7+ Year Member

njms isn't the same school as robert wood...

27. beponychick

beponychick SDN Angel
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

oh, i thought bubbleyum wa stalking about NJMS not RWJ. sorry.

28. greendot

greendot SDN Angel
    5+ Year Member

Just FYI: I'm OOS and was accepted at NJMS about a week ago.

29. theunderdog

7+ Year Member

hey greendot,

when did you interview?

30. ducktales

ducktales Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

i interviewed at njms in early november. I just got an email inviting me for a second interview, scheduled for late december :(

I guess I didn't do so well on that first interview.

Has anyone else had a second interview there?

31. beponychick

beponychick SDN Angel
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

really? wow. i didnt even know they do this. did you think your interview went well?

32. theunderdog

7+ Year Member

are you sure???

its possible there was a glitch and u are actually being invited for an interview that they didn't realize they had already given out...

33. ducktales

ducktales Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

honestly, I couldn't really tell..the guy was really nice, but he did ask some questions I felt uncomfortable about. (things that i felt he was asking because of my ethnic background). Then again, I might be taking it too personally.

Overall, though, I thought it had gone ok. But I'm not really sure how to gauge how I did on any of my interviews

34. beponychick

beponychick SDN Angel
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

oh im sorry, that really stinks. especially since you have to schedule it in december. did they tell you a reason why you have to re-do the interview? i feel at least they should give you some type of lame explanation.

35. ducktales

ducktales Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

i'm supposed to call njms to confirm the date they assigned me, so maybe i'll ask them for an explanation then

yeah it does stink, especially considering i got three rejection letters in the past two days. oh well, guess it's just not my week, huh

36. drguy22

drguy22 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    u can think of it in a positive way...they want to accept u..but maybe they felt that u werent doing ur best on ur interview..so they are giving u a second chance...as far as I know, they give 2nd interviews to applicants who they feel are good and are willing to accept.

37. ducktales

ducktales Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

i hope so...thanks for the reassurance!

38. beponychick

beponychick SDN Angel
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    did you guys get that email from Dr. Heinrich regarding the AMA guest speaker? Anyone going?

39. medhacker

medhacker We can end world poverty!
    7+ Year Member

hey

I got it too. I won't be going though, I will be away from Jersey until interview day. Are you going?

40. beponychick

beponychick SDN Angel
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

If I didnt have work, I would go. I live like 20 minutes away so it wouldnt be that big of a deal.

Good luck on your interview!

41. peace84

peace84 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    anyone out of state been interviewed/accepted to RWJ or NJMS?

42. medhacker

7+ Year Member

I just had mine, 1 hour and 15 min long, does anyone have any opinions on how long it was?

:confused:

43. beponychick

beponychick SDN Angel
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

how long what was?

congrats on finishing your interview. who were you with?

44. medhacker

7+ Year Member

My interview 1 hour and 15 minutes long

Thanks for the congrats

45. beponychick

beponychick SDN Angel
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

Well how did you feel about it? Was it a good hour and 15 minutes? :)

46. medhacker

7+ Year Member

hahaha

It was kind of bittersweet. I was left with the feeling he wanted to step up for me but he still pointed out the hurdles I had and asked for explanations...so honestly I dunno know

47. prncvegita

prncvegita Member
    5+ Year Member

I just got an interview offer from NJMS!!
    I'm SO EXCITED, especially b/c I was so nervous after hearing that they scheduled a reception in January for accepted students...
    Any advice anyone can give me re: prepping for the interview? Heh heh..

48. beponychick

beponychick SDN Angel
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

congrats!!!!!!! are you in state?

49. daviddamoore

daviddamoore UK fool
    5+ Year Member

How long do I have to wait to hear for acceptance.....?????

What's the usual wait time???

I keep expecting to hear any day now! :eek:

50. baby4you

baby4you SDN Angel
    5+ Year Member

I interviewed yesterday, and he told me that the comm meets on thursdays and they have about two to three weeks delays, so he said they will have a decision in about three weeks. he also told me that the adm people will say longer but is not.