NJMS vs Drexel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IBP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I was hoping to get some feedback on the choice of NJMS vs Drexel. Regarding cost i'm in state in New Jersey, so NJMS is slightly cheaper. Any input at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello All,

I was hoping to get some feedback on the choice of NJMS vs Drexel. Regarding cost i'm in state in New Jersey, so NJMS is slightly cheaper. Any input at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If you don't mind Newark, I, personally, would go with NJMS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello All,

Thanks!

There's a lot of NJMS information in this post below that was originally comparing NJMS and RWJ, i tried to cut out some RWJ stuff.

I've been staff, student, and/or volunteer in multiple branches of the UMDNJ system for five years. I will be attending NJMS in the fall.

The chair of the AMA is the chair of neurosurgery at NJMS, and the chair of the AMA student section is an NJMS MD MPH student. Medical students and faculty from all medical school attend AMA meetings, where these two, among others, make speeches for the medical community. Everyone has heard of NJMS through our leadership of the AMA.

great match list, you should [it] out. I'm going to talk about some things I know about NJMS. I recently sat in on a second year pharm lecture. The guest speaker was Dr. Robert Mitchell, state medical examiner in charge, for New Jersey. He started off the lecture by saying how lucky everyone was to be at NJMS, how the clinical experience is top notch because of the area the hospital is in and the hands on, start day one, approach to clinical training. It seemed like a pretty typical type of speech, but he went on. He talked about his experience in residency, saying that in his residency year there were students from Harvard and Mayo Clinic. It became apparent at the beginning of his residency training that he had been much better prepared and trained procedure-wise, and he began teaching those students from top medical schools tips and tricks in the clinical setting. He was later chosen chief resident of his program, and has certainly made a name for himself in his field.

Indeed, clinical training is an oft-stated strength of NJMS. The student-run clinic is unique in that medical students take part in it starting their first year (first month really) of medical school. It is an elective and you get to choose how much time you dedicate to patient work - even as a first year medical student. The emergency room is the only level one trauma center in New Jersey. As a volunteer there, I witnessed an incredible scene that epitomizes the clinical training experience at NJMS. Gunshot victim, immediately sped into trauma. It was some point between June and July - I had just introduced myself to a 3rd year med student who told me he was on his first rotation, and just had taken STEP 1. 15 minutes later he is doing chest compressions in a trauma bay during emergency surgery. In this lies the best kept secret of choosing a medical school. If you are a patient, you choose the best medical center for being treated by top physicians (and you do not pay top dollar to let med students play around with you). If you are a prospective medical student, you choose the place that will make you the best clinician. This is an area in which NJMS strives. Regarding bench research, I have been lucky enough to work with multiple bench researchers at the school, leading to publications. If you are a med student - it is not a matter of luck. I recall a first year med student shooting one email to Dr. Alland (at the time one of the most in-the-news medical researchers in the country due to his TB breakthrough http://goo.gl/Pq2vi ), and the next day receiving an offer to work with a project in his lab. That is the status quo; the amount of pubs you get before graduating is up to how much time you want to put into clinical and/or bench research, it will never be a matter of not getting an offer. Good luck to everyone making choices, you really can't go wrong - medical school is 9 parts how hard you work and 1 part where you are. I'm up for answering NJMS questions,

I'd go with NJMS for sure. Drexel is super expensive, and the two schools are pretty similar quality. IMO in this case it isn't with the extra money to go private.

There's a lot of NJMS information in this post below that was originally comparing NJMS and RWJ, i tried to cut out some RWJ stuff.

There are actually three level one trauma centers in NJ, each affiliated with one branch of UMDNJ (or should i say Rutgers) ... So that's one at NJMS, one at RWJ, and one at Cooper. That's state designated level one trauma centers. If you think of national designation then Morristown Memorial also counts as level one.

There are actually three level one trauma centers in NJ, each affiliated with one branch of UMDNJ (or should i say Rutgers) ... So that's one at NJMS, one at RWJ, and one at Cooper. That's state designated level one trauma centers. If you think of national designation then Morristown Memorial also counts as level one.

I stand corrected - thanks for pointing that out! They have described it as the only somethingorother, but looking at their website, it is pointed out as the only L1 center in "northern NJ". Hope I didn't mislead anyone, sorry about that. I'll fix that comment where it appears otherwise

Cooper is now affiliated with the Cooper Med School in Camden. I was told UMDNJ students wouldn't really rotate there anymore.

Cooper is now affiliated with the Cooper Med School in Camden. I was told UMDNJ students wouldn't really rotate there anymore.

Point of his post was number of L1 centers in nj, yes you are right rwj has left Cooper

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.