NJMS vs. Thomas Jefferson (SKMC) vs. NYU (WL)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dguirg95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so I have been accepted to Jefferson and NJMS and am pretty torn between the two. I am also on the waitlist at NYU and am not sure if I should even hold out for that or not?

Regarding my career aspirations, I am interested in some competitive fields (ENT, radiation oncology, anesthesiology) and want to have a chance at a competitive program as well, in case this matters for either of these schools. I also want to have opportunities to do a lot of research in medical school.

NJMS
  • Pros
    • great clinical experience
    • close to home
    • match really well (not sure if this matters)
    • in-state tuition
    • close friends who are currently students there
  • Cons
    • Newark isnt my favorite city, tough place to live
    • not ranked as well as Jefferson, in terms of prestige
    • facilities dont seem amazing, kind of run down
    • overall aesthetics arent great
Jefferson

• Pros
    • In a great part of philly (center city)
    • decent ranking
    • like the new curriculum that works research opportunities and other opportunities outside of class into the curriculum
    • also match really well
    • large variety of clinical experiences because of so many affiliated hospitals
    • great vibe during my interview from all faculty and students
  • Cons
    • a little further from home
    • a little more expensive than NJMS (not by much because of scholarship) ..but cost of living probably more
I am currently on the WL at NYU...i dont know how much this list moves. Should I even wait for NYU? Thanks for your consideration/advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys so I have been accepted to Jefferson and NJMS and am pretty torn between the two. I am also on the waitlist at NYU and am not sure if I should even hold out for that or not?

Regarding my career aspirations, I am interested in some competitive fields (ENT, radiation oncology, anesthesiology) and want to have a chance at a competitive program as well, in case this matters for either of these schools. I also want to have opportunities to do a lot of research in medical school.

NJMS
  • Pros
    • great clinical experience
    • close to home
    • match really well (not sure if this matters)
    • in-state tuition
    • close friends who are currently students there
  • Cons
    • Newark isnt my favorite city, tough place to live
    • not ranked as well as Jefferson, in terms of prestige
    • facilities dont seem amazing, kind of run down
    • overall aesthetics arent great
Jefferson

• Pros
    • In a great part of philly (center city)
    • decent ranking
    • like the new curriculum that works research opportunities and other opportunities outside of class into the curriculum
    • also match really well
    • large variety of clinical experiences because of so many affiliated hospitals
    • great vibe during my interview from all faculty and students
  • Cons
    • a little further from home
    • a little more expensive than NJMS (not by much because of scholarship) ..but cost of living probably more
I am currently on the WL at NYU...i dont know how much this list moves. Should I even wait for NYU? Thanks for your consideration/advice!
I would stay on the WL. There is literally no negatives (even if you get in, you're not required to go). I personally think Jefferson is great. I have a lot of friends who go there and absolutely love it, their medical students are some of the happiest I have seen. I do not know anything about NJMS. My suggestion would be to attend their second look days, and judge your choice based on how much you like the people and the atmosphere.

P.S. wanted to offer some solidarity, I think we played the Duke game together and it was rough. So happy you got in other places! If you come to Jeff, I might see you there ;)

I would stay on the WL. There is literally no negatives (even if you get in, you're not required to go). I personally think Jefferson is great. I have a lot of friends who go there and absolutely love it, their medical students are some of the happiest I have seen. I do not know anything about NJMS. My suggestion would be to attend their second look days, and judge your choice based on how much you like the people and the atmosphere.

P.S. wanted to offer some solidarity, I think we played the Duke game together and it was rough. So happy you got in other places! If you come to Jeff, I might see you there ;)

Yeah when I went on my interview everyone at Jefferson seemed really happy and really friendly it was a great atmosphere. And yes we did play the terrible Duke game together hahaha maybe we will be classmates after all

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user