NMR help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charlie

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
We have been talking about NMR lately in O chem and I am not grasping the concepts so well...What part you ask? Um, pretty much all of it. I have a general sense of the basics, I can tell when an aromatic compund is present...but aside from that I am struggling. Does anyone have any useful pointers or know of some websites that work as a tutorial?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Charlie

Members don't see this ad.

Kemp has an excellent book on Spectroscopy if a copy is available at your school. Although the book is on all kinds of spectroscopy, the discussion on NMR is very valuable and thorough. If there is any particular question on NMR that you have, I could answer it for you as well.

Hey I don't know if I'm supposed to do this, but what helped me is to do a ton of practice problems, and methodically so:
1) Find degree of unsaturation
2) find common resonances
3) Identify adjacent protons (for H NMR), [doesn't apply to carbon]
4) Count carbon peaks in C NMR to check for symmetry.
5) Account for all protons by integration.

if the problem is in working NMR problems, that's what I'd get good at. if the problem is the theory behind it, not so sure.

Here's a bunch of helpful Spec problems to practice on, good luck they're not so bad hope some of this helps...

http://orgchem.colorado.edu/courses/3341manual.html

I appreciate the help...thanks!

Charlie