NMS medicine vs Blueprints for the step2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sabm

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question here which would help me a lot considering i am taking the exam in a month & have yet to study a word.....
Which of the medicine books is better: NMS or Blueprints?
Thanks & in waiting!

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely go through the NMS book. Read every explanation even if you get the question right. All I used was NMS and Prescription for the Boards and that was more than enough, especially if you are taking Step 2 soon after 3rd year rotations. I personally do better studying for these types of tests by doing a lot of questions.

Thanks BGM. Thats was certainly instant!
But i think the NMS book you are talking about is just the Q&A version. I am certainly going to go through that one.
I was actually refering to the NMS MEDICINE text book. Did you need to do that?
Thanks again :D

Hey get the NMS Question book and RX for the Boards you don't have time for blueprints it's way over detailed to get down in just 2 mo you need more like 6 mo to digest the series.

Members don't see this ad :)
I realize you are not talking about the Question bank book, but I have to say it was the single best thing I have ever studied. I literally took every test over and over ( reading every explanation) until I had the book memorized. I also read prescription for the boards. I went from 48th percentile on step one to 90th percentile on step two. I really do not feel that I am that smart of a person, I just studied wisely.

Good luck!

(Blueprints+UCV+first aid)2 times+NMS question book+ sample items =recipe for acing step 2. Thats all I did and got 249.

you study as long as you are supposed to...I mean the duration of your course!!! Knowledge cannot be aquired overnight. But intense review takes up your scores several points( provided you know the fundamentals). I did intense review for about 4-5 hrs a day for the last 8- 10 weeks( with a break once a week). I realised that it was this last minute review that helped. But I used to read during my courses and rotations and had a knowledge base.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by halothane:
•(Blueprints+UCV+first aid)2 times+NMS question book+ sample items =recipe for acing step 2. Thats all I did and got 249.•••••Halothane,

What is UCV?
Which First Aid? (i.e., First Aid for Step 2 or First Aid for the Wards)?
Which Sample items?

Thanks!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by gammagut:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by halothane:
•(Blueprints+UCV+first aid)2 times+NMS question book+ sample items =recipe for acing step 2. Thats all I did and got 249.•••••Halothane,

What is UCV?
Which First Aid? (i.e., First Aid for Step 2 or First Aid for the Wards)?
Which Sample items?

Thanks!•••••Halothane's in the process of moving so I'll take the liberty to answer for him...

UCVs = the Underground Clinical Vignette for Step 2 series. I'm pretty sure he meant First-Aid for Step 2. I think by "sample items" he meant the 150 Step 2 sample question CD the NBME sends you with your scheduling permit. Hope this helps.