NMS or Kaplan q bank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vaidyaga

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi there..
can anyone tell me which one is better to prepare for USMLE step 1....NMS questions or Kaplan Q bank? i know the majority of people have done kaplan q bank and have given it very positive ratings. i however, would prefer to use the NMS question book since it has fewer questions (i would be able to go over all the 850 questions atleast once....as opposed to kaplan q bank which has way more questions than i would have time to go through). secondly...i have already spent a lot of money on review books and stuff like that and hence would prefer to use the books i already have (which is NMS) rather than spending another 150 dollars on q bank...which i won't even have time to utilize completely.
if anyone out there has used both these sources and can give me an honest opinion as to which one they found better for step 1 prep., that would be great. thanks!
vaidyaga

Members don't see this ad.

Go with the flow dear.
Kaplan,Kaplan & Kaplan all the way.And NO,I don't work for the Kaplan guys.
Otoh,if price is a factor,get the Kaplan Q bank Cd from the net.there are numerous copies floating around the net.I did the same and it served my purpose.
Hth

You can cheap out when it comes to the USMLE or you will be kicking yourself.

I did both and I got >250. Questions are the best source to get the framework in your head. Applied active learning is the only way to beat the test. You can't do 2000 questions over 3 weeks?

thanks for the replies! musicman......u told me u did both.....can u tell me which one is better though.....kaplan q bank or NMS? or are they about the same?

Members don't see this ad :)
you can do 2000 questions in 3 weeks. easily.

you do 2 (50 q blocks) per day.

not that hard.

later

NMS and Kaplan are both very good. I think Appleton & Lange review for USMLE Step 1 is the best book though. Better than NMS. It's updated and broken into subjects and has 3 composite tests at the end. Would recommend that. I did all 3. Mostly A&L and Q-bank in the 3 weeks I was studying.