No admissions offered until ALL premed requirements completed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtuoso735

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got the UC Davis secondary and I found that they will not offer admissions to anyone who has not completed all the prerequisites. I still need physics lab II. I thought the general wisdom was that it was okay to leave one or two prereqs undone as long as you took the courses before matriculating.

Are there any other schools with this kind of policy?

Members don't see this ad.

That is very strange, most schools only require you have those pre-reqs by the time you matriculate.

Is it possible to take the lab in summer session II or fall semester?

Members don't see this ad :)
It might be too late to register for a summer course. I will have to look into that, but I'm not sure if there's space left. If I take it fall semester, I feel like my application will be late. I'm not sure they will even consider me for an interview until I take the course.

This policy totally caught me off guard. UC Davis is a bit of long shot for me anyways, so I guess it won't be a huge loss, but only if it is the only school with this policy. Now I'm worried that there may be other schools with the same requirement. :(

I would email admissions to confirm this or ask in the UC Davis secondary thread.

It's my understanding that med schools want you complete the pre med courses upon matriculation. Basically, you need to get the degree and complete the required pre med courses before school starts.

It might be too late to register for a summer course. I will have to look into that, but I'm not sure if there's space left. If I take it fall semester, I feel like my application will be late. I'm not sure they will even consider me for an interview until I take the course.

This policy totally caught me off guard. UC Davis is a bit of long shot for me anyways, so I guess it won't be a huge loss, but only if it is the only school with this policy. Now I'm worried that there may be other schools with the same requirement. :(

Last edited:
I would email admissions to confirm this or ask in the UC Davis secondary thread.

It's my understanding that med schools want you complete the pre med courses upon matriculation. Basically, you need to get the deree and complete the required pre med courses before school starts.

I second this +1:thumbup:

I know cornell requires that you complete your requirements by January of your matriculating year.

Virtually all schools require finishing pre-reqs before matriculation, not before secondaries. Call them to see if it's a mistake.

I know cornell requires that you complete your requirements by January of your matriculating year.
I believe Penn State may be the same. Others I've heard of (on SDN) that historically required prereqs to be complete before applying are Temple, Wake, Vanderbilt (by fall of application year), and VCU. Columbia allows a lack of no more than 1-2 classes. I have not personally checked any websites accept Columbia's, and policy changes from year to year. I'm sure there are other exceptions to the general rule.

While we are on the topic...

When they say "with labs" does this mean they want 2 labs, 2 credit hours worth, etc.? I find this to be very vague for a lot of schools like Vandy and Penn State, especially since they have a more stringent completion policy.

Looks like I am not applying to Vandy anymore because I am working full time and don't have time to complete 2 semesters of english and a bio lab first semester. In Engineering, we don't have to take english at all, although I took one online out of sheer interest before med school crossed my mind. Pretty much all schools don't accept online classes so I have a decent amount to make up on.... wondering what will benefit me more, two english classes or research? I think I know which one I would want my prospective student to choose! :laugh:

When they say "with labs" does this mean they want 2 labs, 2 credit hours worth, etc.? I find this to be very vague for a lot of schools like Vandy and Penn State, especially since they have a more stringent completion policy.

Looks like I am not applying to Vandy anymore because I am working full time and don't have time to complete 2 semesters of english and a bio lab first semester. In Engineering, we don't have to take english at all, although I took one online out of sheer interest before med school crossed my mind. Pretty much all schools don't accept online classes so I have a decent amount to make up on.... wondering what will benefit me more, two english classes or research? I think I know which one I would want my prospective student to choose! :laugh:

Hate to do this but I feel this might get buried otherwise. Bump

I have the same problem. I tested out of Physics 101 nd went into physics 102 with lab. Then, I took another semester of Physics "Physics of Modern Medicine" with NO LAB.

Does this mean that we cannot apply to medical school?

I also work full time and I have been out of school for three years... Can't exactly take physics lab. I was also thinking that maybe the lab from an upper level bio could replace physics lab? Like sometimes they only want to make sure that you have enough lab experience.

I have the same problem. I tested out of Physics 101 nd went into physics 102 with lab. Then, I took another semester of Physics "Physics of Modern Medicine" with NO LAB.

Does this mean that we cannot apply to medical school?

I also work full time and I have been out of school for three years... Can't exactly take physics lab. I was also thinking that maybe the lab from an upper level bio could replace physics lab? Like sometimes they only want to make sure that you have enough lab experience.

Unless your school gave you credit then you school sign up for physics 1 at a community college.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is kind of ridiculous, especially for the schools that require things like biochem, that most seniors take their very last semester. :(

I believe Penn State may be the same. Others I've heard of (on SDN) that historically required prereqs to be complete before applying are Temple, Wake, Vanderbilt (by fall of application year), and VCU. Columbia allows a lack of no more than 1-2 classes. I have not personally checked any websites accept Columbia's, and policy changes from year to year. I'm sure there are other exceptions to the general rule.

I did not have Physics II completed until Spring 2012 and was accepted to Vanderbilt a while before that. Before I even started the class, actually.

OP, double check with your specific schools if you are concerned.

I called the office last year and was told pre req must be done before January.

I did not have Physics II completed until Spring 2012 and was accepted to Vanderbilt a while before that. Before I even started the class, actually.

OP, double check with your specific schools if you are concerned
Interesting that their website still states:
Applicants must present evidence of having satisfactorily completed the minimum requirements listed below by the end of the fall semester in the year in which they apply to medical school. A semester hour is the credit value of sixteen weeks of work consisting of one hour of lecture or recitation or at least two hours of laboratory.

Advanced placement credits, CLEP credits, and pass/fail credits are not acceptable in lieu of ANY required courses. Advanced courses in the same discipline may be substituted for the requirements when the applicant has placed out of the entry level course.
  • Biology: A minimum of 8 semester hours, including laboratory.
  • General Chemistry: A minimum of 8 semester hours including laboratory.
  • Organic Chemistry: A minimum of 8 semester hours including laboratory.
  • English and Composition: A minimum of 6 semester hours in English literature and/or writing.
  • Physics: A minimum of 8 semester hours, including laboratory.
Source: https://medschool.vanderbilt.edu/admissions/admission-requirements

Which tells us that exceptions are made (maybe when one's PS subscore is particularly strong).

Last edited:
Is this for UC Davis or another school?

UC Davis.

Applicants must present evidence of having satisfactorily completed the minimum requirements listed below by the end of the fall semester in the year in which they apply to medical school. A semester hour is the credit value of sixteen weeks of work consisting of one hour of lecture or recitation or at least two hours of laboratory.

I applied during the academic year 2011-2012 so maybe they mean to say that it must be completed by the fall semester of 2011-2012 which means before January 2012? In this case that would translate to be January 2013.

Last edited:
UC Davis.

I applied during the academic year 2011-2012 so maybe they mean to say that it must be completed by the fall semester of 2011-2012 which means before January 2012? In this case that would translate to be January 2013.

This is an interesting interpretation and it will literally determine whether or not I apply to Davis. Any confirmations from anyone about whether it would be January 2012 or January 2013 for applications this round?

Actually... Jan 2013 doesn't make sense... we would be done with the first semester of medical school by January 2013.... ugh. Guess this means no UC Davis for me.

Oh well. They are missing out on a great applicant (and probably many more).

This is an interesting interpretation and it will literally determine whether or not I apply to Davis. Any confirmations from anyone about whether it would be January 2012 or January 2013 for applications this round?

Actually... Jan 2013 doesn't make sense... we would be done with the first semester of medical school by January 2013.... ugh. Guess this means no UC Davis for me.

Oh well. They are missing out on a great applicant (and probably many more).

What? For you guys applying this year it is Jan 13 if my interpretation is correct. Why would you be done with the first semester of med school? Aren't you applying this year?

Last edited:
UC Davis.

So they will still grant interviews/give acceptances to those (applying for Fall 2013) who have not yet finished prereqs, but will have finished them by January 2013?

So they will still grant interviews/give acceptances to those (applying for Fall 2013) who have not yet finished prereqs, but will have finished them by January 2013?

That is my understanding from calling/emailing the admissions office.

What? For you guys applying this year it is Jan 13 if my interpretation is correct. Why would you be done with the first semester of med school? Aren't you applying this year?

we are applying now. We would matriculate September 2013. How can they ignore an entire semester of time to take pre-recs?

Can someone please call? I work from 8am -7 pm so I always have trouble finding the to call the admissions offices when they are open...

Best,
C

Can someone PLEASE help define the "including lab" statement. I simply do not understand if this is two labs or one?!?! If it totals to 8 credit hours with 1 lab are we okay?

Can someone PLEASE help define the "including lab" statement. I simply do not understand if this is two labs or one?!?! If it totals to 8 credit hours with 1 lab are we okay?

I'm also wondering about this... would love a response if anyone knows.

Thanks.