No answer = good? & should I send update letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PassionFruity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have not heard back from any schools yet, and I guess this is good since this means I have no rejections, but is it in fact ok? When do schools generally send rejections - if I was flat out rejected I would know by now, yes?

Should I invest some time in sending update letters to these schools even though I have not interviewed with them? I believe that it could help my application since this last semester has been my best yet.

I appreciate your time and advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Check with the individual medical schools. Many schools, especially those with non-rolling admissions, won't notify you of rejection until they start sending out acceptances in March. It usually says something on the secondary like "final decisions will be communicated beginning in..."

You should also check out the school-specific threads. If you see that people are getting rejections already, you can assume no news is good news.

I too have yet to hear from many schools I applied to and I hate that they keep us hanging for months.

Whether to send in an update letter depends on when you were complete. If it's only been a month, I'd wait until the fall term grades are out before sending an update. If you were complete in the summer, then you've had plenty of time to augment your pertinent activities and will have good content to include in such a letter now.

i dunno, i wouldnt take it as complete good news since a lot of schools silently reject you and they've already given out most of their interviews already. they either wont ever send you a rejection letter, or they'll wait til may or something. this is the case for albert einstein, temple, jefferson and drexel, which are schools i applied to and havent heard anything....

+1 on silent rejections. Why can't they just inform us when a decision is made? "Continue to re-review" is my favorite status.