No bachelor's degree

dan4269

Mar 28, 2011
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I currently have 166 credits with more on the way but I move every two years or so and the school I'm currently at only has about 2 years of credits applying to their school. This means I need another 2 years of school to get a bachelors AND I'm moving again in June which will put me at my 5th college. Honestly, I could care less about the degree and if this next round of shadowing goes as planned then I'm 100% sold on Podiatry and want to get in immediately. Anyone know how bad this will look to admissions? Here's my breakdown

1. 3.9 transfer GPA, 4.0 GPA after 1st year at this University.
    2. No MCAT yet
    3. Shadowed an OD, DDS, PharmD, MD, DO, and Pod (1-2 weeks per specialty) and will continue shadowing.
    4. Will have around 200+ hours of clinical experience when I apply plus an overseas medical mission I'm going on.
    5. Military for 6 years, tons of leadership experience, awards etc.
    6. Starting undergrad research in the next couple of weeks (as soon as he calls me back -_- lol)
    7. No clubs or school activities.

TLDR: I know medical schools say that you are able to apply with 90 semester hours but everyone needs the degree in reality. Is podiatry like this?

MaxillofacialMN

Osteopathic Foot Dentist
    10+ Year Member
    Dec 2, 2009
    The Grand Ballroom
    1. Podiatry Student
      I currently have 166 credits with more on the way but I move every two years or so and the school I'm currently at only has about 2 years of credits applying to their school. This means I need another 2 years of school to get a bachelors AND I'm moving again in June which will put me at my 5th college. Honestly, I could care less about the degree and if this next round of shadowing goes as planned then I'm 100% sold on Podiatry and want to get in immediately. Anyone know how bad this will look to admissions? Here's my breakdown

2. No MCAT yet
      3. Shadowed an OD, DDS, PharmD, MD, DO, and Pod (1-2 weeks per specialty) and will continue shadowing.
      4. Will have around 200+ hours of clinical experience when I apply plus an overseas medical mission I'm going on.
      6. Starting undergrad research in the next couple of weeks (as soon as he calls me back -_- lol)

TLDR: I know medical schools say that you are able to apply with 90 semester hours but everyone needs the degree in reality. Is podiatry like this?

Get a decent MCAT and you'll be fine!

trinifootdoc

Apr 2, 2011
      North Chicago
      1. Podiatry Student

2. No MCAT yet

I am pretty certain you will need a Bachelor's or higher before you will be allowed to matriculate to any podiatry school. Yes, schools say that you may apply with 90 credits but that is under the presumption that the remainder of the credits for the degree will be completed prior to matriculation.

Please see the following link: http://www.aacpm.org/html/careerzone/require.asp

About the Ads

air bud

I am a dog and play basketball
        10+ Year Member
        Nov 11, 2008
        Under the Western Skies
        1. Attending Physician
          What are you reading??? If 97 percent have a bachelors, what do the other 3 percent have? There is nothing on that page to lead you to think you HAVE to have a bachelors.

to enter a school or college of podiatric medicine, one must first complete a minimum of three years or 90 semester hours of college credit at an accredited institution

OP, you most likely have extenuating circumstances. Call the schools and speak with somebody. The admissions offices are your friends. Apply

DrGonz

Student
          10+ Year Member
          7+ Year Member
          Jan 13, 2009
          SoIll
          1. Podiatry Student
            I was just about to quote that air bud ha. I guess he/she doenst read her own info. From first had exp. I got into pod school w/o having a bachelors. I applied for graduation and ended up going to the jan program at nycpm. I did recieve my degree in may from my other school, but i got accepted w/o having a bachelors technically.

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.