No biology professor to write me a letter of recommendation? Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoosdoingdentistry

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, thanks for reading my post!

I was a Psychology major during undergrad and only took two prerequisite biology classes during my freshman year. Looking back, I am well aware that this was a mistake and I'm planning on taking more biology classes during my gap year to supplement my application. Most schools that I'm applying to ask for a letter of recommendation from a biology professor and a chemistry professor. The first biology professor I asked declined because he was a graduate student during the time that he taught the class. The second professor I asked hasn't responded to the two emails that I sent him.

My next option is to either ask my biochem professor (the class was marked as a chemistry class at my university) or my neural professor. The neural class is psychology class, but it is interchangeable with a biology class at my university. You could either take this class or another corresponding biology class. I received a B- in biochem, but an A in neural. Which professor would be better to receive a letter of recommendation from? I know the professors both on a similar level.

Do you think schools would be understanding of my circumstance? I'm really trying to scramble for solutions. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Does your school offer a committee letter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you take a higher level (300 or 400) biology class for this summer semester

I would say that if the neural professor is a professor in the department of psychology that’s not going to count as biology.

Reactions: 1 user
And if the Biochem professor is a professor in the department of chemistry it probably won’t count either. Plus a B- doesn’t look good for a letter of rec. you want to get it from a class you did well in.

And if the Biochem professor is a professor in the department of chemistry it probably won’t count either. Plus a B- doesn’t look good for a letter of rec. you want to get it from a class you did well in.

Thanks for your advice! Only one of my schools asks for a biology letter of recommendation so I think I'm going to have to forgo that school.

Hey everyone, thanks for reading my post!

I was a Psychology major during undergrad and only took two prerequisite biology classes during my freshman year. Looking back, I am well aware that this was a mistake and I'm planning on taking more biology classes during my gap year to supplement my application. Most schools that I'm applying to ask for a letter of recommendation from a biology professor and a chemistry professor. The first biology professor I asked declined because he was a graduate student during the time that he taught the class. The second professor I asked hasn't responded to the two emails that I sent him.

My next option is to either ask my biochem professor (the class was marked as a chemistry class at my university) or my neural professor. The neural class is psychology class, but it is interchangeable with a biology class at my university. You could either take this class or another corresponding biology class. I received a B- in biochem, but an A in neural. Which professor would be better to receive a letter of recommendation from? I know the professors both on a similar level.

Do you think schools would be understanding of my circumstance? I'm really trying to scramble for solutions. Thanks for your help!

I didn't have a letter from a biology professor. But, I did have plenty of science recommenders.
BioChem should be fine, but the grade looks a bit lower.

Do you have any other science professor who can give you a recommendation?