No blood on bandage, did the Walgreens pharm guy do me right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gallons

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
so I think I got a flu shot today. Usually it hurts and after I take of bandage there is some dried blood. In fact I don't ever remember there not being dried blood on bandage.

Had a walgreens pharmacist poke me this morning and I commented how it was nearly painless. I just took off bandage and there is no dried blood on it. Nothing at all. Even the slightest prick should produce some blood no?

So I'm thinking he did not do it right maybe did not inject me with the vaccine at all? Am I right it be worried? Anyone else not have blood on bandage after flu vaccine?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's normal; 30-40% of my shots have no blood coming out at all.

Reactions: 5 users
50-60% of my patients do not bleed at all.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry, the placebo effect is just as effective as the flu shot. Just tell yourself you got it and it should work.

Just to add on to what everyone else had already said... I'm a phlebotomist. If I miss a vein, most of the time there will not be a single drop of blood after pulling the needle out. It seemed weird the first few times I saw it, but now I expect it.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't worry, the placebo effect is just as effective as the flu shot. Just tell yourself you got it and it should work.

Did you look at all the info out there yet? Still waiting for you to admit how amazing immunizations are.

Every 12 minutes because of people like you, someone dies due to the flu.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Having given hundreds of flu shots, many times there will be no bleeding.

Didn't even get a bandage with mine. No blood.

Didn't even get a bandage with mine. No blood.
Some customers don't want bandage. I normally put a bandage on even with no blood. It's technically a puncture wound, you want to give some time to have the skin heal a little or blood dried up to prevent infections.

Lack of pain also occurs with good distraction techniques. I’ve found patients often don’t notice the shot if they are mid-sentence when injecting and you don’t warn them. This sounds crazy but seems to work well; get the shot details out of the way, clean injection site, then ask a probing question about their life and wait for them to answer.

Reactions: 2 users
Lack of pain also occurs with good distraction techniques. I’ve found patients often don’t notice the shot if they are mid-sentence when injecting and you don’t warn them. This sounds crazy but seems to work well; get the shot details out of the way, clean injection site, then ask a probing question about their life and wait for them to answer.

Yup, this was my technique as well. I often asked something like, what made you decide to get your flu shot today? And while they are busy giving me their life story, starting with who they were in a previous life, I had already given them the shot and was moving on to bandaging them up. Also went in quickly - I never understood why some people think it hurts less to go in slowly, if anything that just makes it worse.

Side note: I would always give a bandage, you never know when you might get some delayed bleeding and it would suck to ruin someone's shirt/blouse just to say a bandage.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also: not always true, but it seems people with bigger deltoid muscles tend to bleed more. I generally expect body builders to bleed a lot more than sedentary individuals because you get more blood flow to muscles than fat. That said, this is not a hard and fast rule for all individuals.

This is an interesting insight into the thought process of patients.

You think everything is cool until you stick someone on anti-coag/anti-platelets and it runs down their arm the second the needle is out.

Also I was told that rubbing hard with the isopropyl swab make it less painful. No gentle wipes. Seems to work

Last edited:
You think everything is cool until you still someone on anti-coag/anti-platelets and it runs down their arm the second the need is out.

Also I was told that rubbing hard with the isopropyl swab make it less painful. No gentle wipes. Seems to work

Interesting, had not heard that one before.

Genuine question, not trying to be insulting:

Are there any other controversial opinions you hold, or is it limited to vaccine conspiracy theories m

Just check out some threads of his/her about being pro-THC for another good laugh (In all seriousness though, there does seem to be some application for epilepsy, but only for a particular compound isolated from marijuana; there's was a really good/popular RxSchool live CE on this topic you might want to check out if you have access to. Taught by none other than, someone who stoned in his youth to become a much more mature RPh).

Just check out some threads of his/her about being pro-THC for another good laugh (In all seriousness though, there does seem to be some application for epilepsy, but only for a particular compound isolated from marijuana; there's was a really good/popular RxSchool live CE on this topic you might want to check out if you have access to. Taught by none other than, someone who stoned in his youth to become a much more mature RPh).[/QUOT

Yes, THC as a medicine is so crazy. Maybe one day we'll have medications with THC and they'll name them Sativex, Marinol and Cesamet. Then maybe one day they'll make a medicine with CBD, name it Epidiolex and it will relieve intractable seizures in children with Lenox-Gastaut or Dravet's Syndrome. Crazy stoners just want to get high.

You forgot use as an antiemetic/appetite stimulant. There's a big difference between using a burning a whole plant with hundreds of different compounds vs. using a few isolated compounds. Similar situation is nicotine vs tobacco.

Yes, using marijuana as a whole seems silly to myself given there are already several much safer and regulated products out already. I'm sure you've got some quackery conspiracy theories to justify to yourself that marijuana is somehow superior, has no consequences, addiction, abuse potential, illicit use, etc.

Last edited:
You forgot use as an antiemetic/appetite stimulant. There's a big difference between using a burning a whole plant with hundreds of different compounds vs. using a few isolated compounds. Similar situation is nicotine vs tobacco.

Yes, using marijuana as a whole seems silly to myself given there are already several much safer and regulated products out already. I'm sure you've got some quackery conspiracy theories to justify to yourself that marijuana is somehow superior, has no consequences, addiction, abuse potential, illicit use, etc.

Cannabis does contain over 100 different cannabinoids and 200+ terpenes which are pharmaceutically active. Burning the whole plant does provide the spectrum of these effects but it is not the safest method of consumption. The problem arises when trying to recreate this effect after processing because cold C02 extraction removes many of these components. Processors are trying to replace the original ingredients post-processing with some degree of success. As far as consumption is concerned vaping is a more preferable due to the creation of less particulate matter. Tinctures are much easier to dose but suffer from the same processing issues.