No change in score after 2 months

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rainsayre17

Reaction score
Hi, I am a junior biology major who was hoping to take her MCAT May 15. I took a diagnostic FL mid-Dec and got a 498 (123/126/123/126). Yesterday I took my second FL and got another 498 (122/129/123/124), meaning I scored lower on every section except for CARS.

Between this time, I was doing mostly content review with some practice questions. I used KA for chemistry and psychology and was reading through full chapters of a Campbell Biology textbook. For passage practice, I was using the AAMC practice bundle and it appeared as though my chemistry and biology scores were improving. CARS was what I worked on the least; I did just one passage every day.
I was studying 4 hours a day, 6 days a week for about two months.

This score decrease is very discouraging to me and it seems unlikely that I will be able to take my scheduled exam. I don't really know where to go from here. I am a good student, with an over 3.9 gpa. Science has always been difficult for me but I worked hard for my grades because of my goal of medical school. Now I don't know what to do, if I should just take it as a sign that a science field isn't for me. I am afraid that I do not have the drive to wait until the next application cycle. It is discouraging because I know that I was already working hard studying for this. Just wondering if anybody has some advice on the next step. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Ask yourself if you’re getting questions wrong because of knowledge gap or reasoning skills.

If it’s former, do more content review, if it’s the latter, do more practice q and really understand how the q are trying to trick you and how they want you to get to the correct answer. The latter is harder to work on since part of it is your innate ability for critical thinking.

Best of luck

Save your remaining AAMC FL exams until 6 weeks from test day. I suggest searching for a some premade study schedules that emphasize passage based questions and practice. The study plan you outlined above is pretty deficient in terms of depth and materials. Your scores indicate that you have both significant content gaps in preparation as well as lack of practice with reasoning based passages. Ditch the textbooks - they are far too in depth for the mcat. Look at TBR, UWorld, and Next Step for practice materials.