Quantcast

No clinical volunteering opportunities?

BeMo Free Repeat™ On Us + 5 Med School Challenge
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackroses

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to a university in a very small town, with one small hospital which does not allow clinical volunteering. The next closest hospital is a 45 minute drive one way (highway driving the whole way, mind you). Driving to this hospital once a week for clinical volunteering is obviously going to be VERY expensive and time-consuming, which I would prefer to avoid. Are there any "accepted" alternatives to clinical volunteering? Would volunteering as an EMT be considered an appropriate alternative?

Keladry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Volunteering as an EMT definitely counts as clinical volunteering! Keep in mind there are places other than hospitals where you can do clinical volunteering, especially hospice-type places.

Radon XP

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
also nursing homes, SNF's, government supported clinics, Planned Parenthood...
I think Planned Parenthood would be interesting, but is there a risk of alienating adcoms since it might be seen as controversial?

blackroses

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are no nursing homes, SNFs, government clinics, or planned parenthoods here. I'd definitely call this area medically underserved, haha. The hospice program is run by the hospital, so also doesn't take volunteers. I'll definitely look into camps or other programs that may be in the area. I really appreciate all of the suggestions, clearly I'm feeling a little stuck right now! I'm still rather shocked that the hospital doesn't allow clinical volunteering.

Radon XP

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are no nursing homes, SNFs, government clinics, or planned parenthoods here. I'd definitely call this area medically underserved, haha. The hospice program is run by the hospital, so also doesn't take volunteers. I'll definitely look into camps or other programs that may be in the area. I really appreciate all of the suggestions, clearly I'm feeling a little stuck right now! I'm still rather shocked that the hospital doesn't allow clinical volunteering.

Maybe you could try volunteering at that one hospital that's far away less frequently, like once a month. If you did 6 hours once a month you could do ~50 hours throughout the school year, not too shabby if you kept it up

mehc012

Big Damn Hero
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
45min is not that long of a commute. Just Nike it.