No College Science Courses=No Summer Science Programs???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

So, I'm a freshman and my pre med advisor said not to take any science courses this year and to focus on math... however, will this be to the detriment of my academic profile in the long run??? I have been looking for summer programs for pre meds that do not require a background in college science courses as a prerequisite! Does anyone know of any premed enrichment programs, internships, research opps, or community service opps that do not require any college science coursework?

Members don't see this ad.

So you're a freshmen, and you're certain you want to be a dermatologist? :rolleyes:

Summer Science programs require a background in college science. The better the program, the more stringent the requirements. I do not see why you would not take both math and a science in your first year. You only have like two to three classes to take for math, not seven to eight. Your advisor might not be worth listening to, unless they have a reputation for getting kids into good medical schools.

I agree that your adviser is probably not worth listening to. I decided never to speak with them again. They are next to useless.

You most definitely should take sciences. Just about everyone takes the General Chem sequence in year 1. My opinion is that everyone year 1 student should start with both Chem and Bio in the first semester. Taking Calc as well on top of this should be okay. It will not be easy, but it will be manageable and prove early that you are capable of more rigorous course schedules.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why does your advisor not want you taking science classes right now?

My honest, non-professional opinion is that this isn't a good idea. If you wait until sophomore year to start taking the requirements, then you'll end up having to take two or more pre-requisite science courses at the same time (ie Gen Chem, Bio, and Physics together). Unless you're really confident that you'll be able to pull of great grades in these required courses as well as in your non-premed courses, I would suggest that you start taking the science courses as soon as possible. Also, when are you planning on taking the MCAT? You should ideally have Gen Chem, Orgo, Bio, and Physics done before you take the MCAT so all you have to do is review for it, instead of learning things for the first time. Again this is just my opinion. :/

So you're a freshmen, and you're certain you want to be a dermatologist? :rolleyes:

Summer Science programs require a background in college science. The better the program, the more stringent the requirements. I do not see why you would not take both math and a science in your first year. You only have like two to three classes to take for math, not seven to eight. Your advisor might not be worth listening to, unless they have a reputation for getting kids into good medical schools.
^^^
what's everyone's deal when it comes to this??? lol

anyway, i think they do bc i go to a pretty prestigous school so that's why i'm ambivalent when it comes to relinquishing her advice :/

off topic, but i just realized you're from columbus?? i used to live there! well, westerville technically lol

I agree that your adviser is probably not worth listening to. I decided never to speak with them again. They are next to useless.

You most definitely should take sciences. Just about everyone takes the General Chem sequence in year 1. My opinion is that everyone year 1 student should start with both Chem and Bio in the first semester. Taking Calc as well on top of this should be okay. It will not be easy, but it will be manageable and prove early that you are capable of more rigorous course schedules.

Why does your advisor not want you taking science classes right now?

My honest, non-professional opinion is that this isn't a good idea. If you wait until sophomore year to start taking the requirements, then you'll end up having to take two or more pre-requisite science courses at the same time (ie Gen Chem, Bio, and Physics together). Unless you're really confident that you'll be able to pull of great grades in these required courses as well as in your non-premed courses, I would suggest that you start taking the science courses as soon as possible. Also, when are you planning on taking the MCAT? You should ideally have Gen Chem, Orgo, Bio, and Physics done before you take the MCAT so all you have to do is review for it, instead of learning things for the first time. Again this is just my opinion. :/

thanks guys. i'll have to look into this .