No Colleges/University within 60+ miles from me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NOPOLES

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I love SDN - everybody is so eager to help.

I need to take upper division courses to bump up my GPA but there are no Colleges or Universities close to me (or within 60-miles from me). I cannot move because my husband is finishing his residency. So, I am thinking of taking upper division courses through distance learning (DL).

Two questions:
What is the consensus on DL courses for increasing GPAs and for applying to schools? Is it frowned upon by schools?

Any good DL colleges or universities out there? From personal experience?

Thanks in advance :) . Also, please advice me if I am better off posting this in another forum.

Members don't see this ad.

How low is this GPA?

My opinion is that with a low GPA, doubt has been cast on your academic prowess, and doing CC or online coursework casts further doubt.

But you gotta do what you gotta do. I was seriously considering the online curriculum at UNECOM for a while - might be worth looking into. http://www.une.edu/com/online/postbac/

Thanks so much for your reply and advice, DrMidlife. I was getting frustrated b/c no one was responding to my thread. I didn't think my inquiry was unusual nor do I think my situation, residing in a rural area, is uncommon.

I checked the website...it looks decent. Like you said... 'you got to do what you got to do'. I've been out of school for 8-years now and my undergrad GPA is 3.0, both general and science. I've been doing research for the whole 8-years and have good publications to show for, but I'm afraid that my old grades might hurt me in applying for a professional school. Unfortunately, my husband and I moved to this rural area to finish his residency and we cannot move for another year or so. I don't want to waste more time, so I thought of doing some online courses and see how it goes. I know online courses are not ideal.

Thanks again for responding. You've made my day :) .

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for your reply and advice, DrMidlife. I was getting frustrated b/c no one was responding to my thread. I didn't think my inquiry was unusual nor do I think my situation, residing in a rural area, is uncommon.
:laugh::laugh:You've gotta give folks more than an hour!!!

Agreed with DrMidlife - this board has died down a lot now that people pretty much know where they are going.

i'd be very skeptical of any online or CC courses. Could you use your time to get some direct patient care contact? or work another part of your resume?

i'd be very skeptical of any online or CC courses. Could you use your time to get some direct patient care contact? or work another part of your resume?

I could do 'more' patient care contact, but I thought my GPA and the length in which I've been out of school (8-yrs) might hurt my application more. After all, decent GPA + decent MCAT/GRE etc + good LORs = interview and hopefully your dream profession. I thought since I'm good with the latter two, I should work on the former. Thanks for the advice.

Yeah but no really colleges/uni to take your classes at? You arent really in a position at the moment to help your GPA.

Online and CC arent good options. Online is ok if you are stationed abroad or something, but you aren't going to help your GPA in real terms - numeric yes but med schools wont count it the same.

My suggestion was to make the other parts of your resume rockstar like, so when you are in a position to take classes at a brick&mortar place then you'll have one less thing to worry about.

good luck