No difference in pay, must work for hospital - which specialty would you still do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

No difference in pay, must work for a hospital - which specialty would you pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blunt Dissection

"Keep poking until it's out."
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious to see what everyone would still want to do and why. Assuming everything about it is virtually unchanged such as the training, the hours, etc. The only difference is everyone gets paid the same salary and you're stuck working for a hospital system (so no additional income from doing boob jobs and butt lifts, etc). You're doing both outpatient/inpatient work and you'd still do the same expected calls.

Personally, I would still be interested in doing Plastics. The patient population that I've seen and worked with just seem very happy to see you for the most part. I'd still do something surgical just because I love working with my hands and I'm just not particularly good at being patient and waiting for results typical of things like medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

Are the work hours the same? Bc the difference in salary is due to the # of hours worked.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are the work hours the same? Bc the difference in salary is due to the # of hours worked.

Not always. A dermatologist works less hours and makes almost as much as a general surgery that works more.

Reactions: 1 users
I found this really difficult. My first thought was easiest specialty of course, rads :p ... but I bounced back and forth with family as well, cause I think it might be enjoyable. ER without the pay benefits, doesn't top FM IMO. Why would you want more stress for less money?

Reactions: 1 user
I'd still want probably the same field tbh. I want something stimulating, but lets me have a life. That leaves a lot out haha.

I'd still want probably the same field tbh. I want something stimulating, but lets me have a life. That leaves a lot out haha.
I agree, I didn't consider any specialty that I wouldn't of considered anyway. Its kind of like that if you had a million dollars, what job would you have question from highschool. My favorite answer is from Office Space:

Reactions: 2 users
Confused because you lumped things together in kind of odd combinations. Not too many similarities between the work styles and lifestyles of IM, peds, and PM&R. Same goes for IR, plastics and ortho.

Reactions: 2 users
Confused because you lumped things together in kind of odd combinations. Not too many similarities between the work styles and lifestyles of IM, peds, and PM&R. Same goes for IR, plastics and ortho.
I'd say peds and IM have very similar lifestyles. They both have the options of outpatient, inpatient, a combination of the two, or continuing on with fellowships in critical care, cards, GI, etc.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

If I were going to guess, I think the groupings were more "competive vs not"

More of a primary care vs surgical subspecialty vs surgery vs others that I wasn't quite sure where they belonged lol. Psych is technically primary care, but it's a little out there - no pun intended. I think the thing that surprises me most with the results so far is gen surg. Not so surprised about Path lol - no one ever likes the pathologist :(

I'm curious about the 7 people that selected derm. All the derm hopefuls I know say they're in it for chicks, money, power, and chicks but it seems there's more to it than that?

Also, no love for OB? lol

I'm curious about the 7 people that selected derm. All the derm hopefuls I know say they're in it for chicks, money, power, and chicks but it seems there's more to it than that?

Also, no love for OB? lol

I'd have to agree lol. Everyone that I've ever spoken to that wants to do derm has said it's because of the money for the lifestyle. I don't think I've ever met anyone that's said "Psoriasis is pretty cool. I could look at psoriasis all day."

I actually had OB on my list, but by the time I got to it, I ran out of poll space lol. So hence it fell under other hahaha.

Derm for minor procedures plus great lifestyle. My step score screened me out of that one so I'll now be chained to a specialty for life that will never be my one true wanting in medicine. Luckily my career isn't my #1 priority.