no DO recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michmaki

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone got an interview without a DO recommendation at any schools???????

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't send DO recommendation letter to any of the DO schools I applied. And I got interviews from all 3 of them (Touro, Western, AZCOM). I am accepted at Western and AZCOM and I am turning down Touro interview.... so, it's totally possible to get an acceptance from a DO school without having any DO letters. GOOD LUCK

thanks a lot for that reply....I was worried.........bc; I had a DO recommendation locked up or so I thought and then it slipped out fromunder me.,......so I guess we will see from here....

Members don't see this ad :)
did you not only not have a do recommendation but also not an MD recommendation either??? BEcause I have a lot of clinical hospitatl experience but was unable to get a recommendation from a doctor...

I have an MD LOR, but no DO.

I was itnerviewed and accepted at AZCOM

I cancelled my three other interviews at KCOM, CCOM, and UHS.

gonakillmcat,

there are four DO schools that don't specifically require a DO letter of rec (TUCOM, COMP, NYCOM, PCOM). however, they do require a letter from a physician either from a MD or a DO. perhaps you can get one of the docs from one of your clinical experiences to write you one.

MSUCOM doesn't recquire a letter from a D.O. or M.D., they want letters from people who know you well. Naturally it is better to use a letter from a D.O., since it shows that you have experience in the field, and most likely a stong understanding of the philosophies of osteopathic medicine. If you can't get one from a D.O., try to get one from some one who has worked with you in a health care setting. SIDE NOTE**.........the first question for your evaluator on MSUCOM's evaluation form is: "Please comment on the applicant's level of understanding of the osteopathic philosophy and commitment to becoming an osteopathic physician." So, you should definitely review the questions on the evaluation forms before selecting your evaluators. Other schools may have similar questions on their forms. For any forms that have a similar question, make sure you take the time to discuss your knowledge of osteopathic medicine with your evaluator if you haven't already.

UMDNJ-SOM doesn't require a DO or MD letter, either. I got an interview(and accepted) without any letters from doctors.

I know NSUcom requires a DO letter. For other schools, I think it HELPS but if you've got some great letters already, don't sweat it. I highly doubt a DO letter will make or break you.