no full course load, few EC's, advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xylem29

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know we don't have premed advisors in Canada - at least not at Toronot - but I need some advice...

I just read some thread about course loads and came to realize that I may never get into med b/c I have only done a 5 course load year ONCE and I have no reasonable explanation other than b/c my friends were slackers and never did 5 either - I guess you could say I was immature. Also I was never intending to go into med until this year - so the course load was never a concern for me...until now of course. I never even did many EC's during my time in U - even though I had time to...again - I never intended on going into med...what's the deal people?? Who can offer advice? Should I just contact admissions offices and ask them up front?

Here's my breakdown Y1 - 4, Y2 - 3, S2 - 1, Y3 - 5, Y4 - 4, S3 - 0.5, Y5 - 2.5

I took 5 years to complete my BSc - my cgpa will be about 3.8. I did not work or volunteer (I did volunteer last summer though but not during the academic years). I have EC's from HS years and a few EC from Y1 and Y2 but only during the summer. Given my track record - I know it seems suspect since everyone I know who gets into med did 5 courses and does a lot of EC's...I feel so pathetic! Does anyone have any advice? Do I have to return to U to do more courses?? (i'm already grad this year with bsc). Should I go to grad school??

Members don't see this ad.

xylem29 said:
I know we don't have premed advisors in Canada - at least not at Toronot - but I need some advice...

I just read some thread about course loads and came to realize that I may never get into med b/c I have only done a 5 course load year ONCE and I have no reasonable explanation other than b/c my friends were slackers and never did 5 either - I guess you could say I was immature. Also I was never intending to go into med until this year - so the course load was never a concern for me...until now of course. I never even did many EC's during my time in U - even though I had time to...again - I never intended on going into med...what's the deal people?? Who can offer advice? Should I just contact admissions offices and ask them up front?

Here's my breakdown Y1 - 4, Y2 - 3, S2 - 1, Y3 - 5, Y4 - 4, S3 - 0.5, Y5 - 2.5

I took 5 years to complete my BSc - my cgpa will be about 3.8. I did not work or volunteer (I did volunteer last summer though but not during the academic years). I have EC's from HS years and a few EC from Y1 and Y2 but only during the summer. Given my track record - I know it seems suspect since everyone I know who gets into med did 5 courses and does a lot of EC's...I feel so pathetic! Does anyone have any advice? Do I have to return to U to do more courses?? (i'm already grad this year with bsc). Should I go to grad school??

Your GPA is great. GPA + MCAT = interview. Once you hit the interview this topic may come up, but it doesn't matter. After the interview they make their final decision based on how of mature of an applicant you are IN PERSON, not on paper.
I recommend telling them exactly what you said here. Honesty goes a long way.

thatguyagain said:
Your GPA is great. GPA + MCAT = interview. Once you hit the interview this topic may come up, but it doesn't matter. After the interview they make their final decision based on how of mature of an applicant you are IN PERSON, not on paper.
I recommend telling them exactly what you said here. Honesty goes a long way.

Are you sure? Keep in mind I'm a canadian citizen not an american citizen. I have never done any schooling in the US nor will I be a permanent resident when I apply. See - I was was essentially told that with my course load record - i have no choice but to go to grad school or to go back and do a year or two of full time studies (100% load) as an undergrad again if I want to have any shot in canada...i can't get around my course load blemish.

But if I can get into american schools without having to take more time to do more undergrad work (or grad work) then I will! I'm just not sure if the american schools will interpret my record the same way (ie. I can't cut it and thus I can't do med).

You're telling me that a good GPA and good MCAT = interview??? without consideration of how many years i took to do my degree and how many courses i took per year??

Members don't see this ad :)
Boy do I feel out of the loop, what does "EC" mean?

Your GPA is fine, take the MCATS.

EC = extracurricular activities?

when u say 5 course-load year, do you mean an average of 5 courses a semester (if you have a semester system) or 5 courses throughout the entire school year? 4-5 classes a semester is the norm, even less, but i might just be reading your post wrong. either way. your gpa is great, and at this point it's the EC's that will really demonstrate your commintment to medicine and the population

wowzer said:
EC = extracurricular activities?

when u say 5 course-load year, do you mean an average of 5 courses a semester (if you have a semester system) or 5 courses throughout the entire school year? 4-5 classes a semester is the norm, even less, but i might just be reading your post wrong. either way. your gpa is great, and at this point it's the EC's that will really demonstrate your commintment to medicine and the population

I meant 5 Full course equivalents per year = 5 courses/semester. I hope you're right but I think I'm going to contact some admissions offices to clarify. I'd love to come to the US.

If you are applying for the 2007 entering class, you still have 4 months to get in some EC's!! I would do it to show that you are committed to medicine. I worked with chronically ill children at weekend camps and LOVED IT, I got 35 hours of volunteer work each weekend, but the weekends went by so fast, that I didn't realize I had spent that much time. Point is, I would suggest doing something that you would REALLY love to do, whether it's volunteering to teach kids to read or visiting erlderies in a nursing home, it will really make the EC hours fly by and by June when you are ready to apply you will have an EC that you can talk about in your interviews. EC's show a committment to medicine and to your community, which are important. You have a great gpa and 5 courses/semester is plenty! I really wouldn't stress about your courseload....they look at your grades more than your courseload!! Yes, great MCAT/gpa/personal statement (essay)=interview (in US at least, not familiar with Canada's requirements).