No Genetics in DO medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edgar

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Y'all:

I talked to a 2nd year osteopathic medical student at my interview at COMP in October and he told us the only cirricula difference between MD and DO medical schools is that DO schools do not teach Medical Genetics? Is he correct? I hope that is not the case because with the current advances in molecular biology and their profound influence on clinical practice, future DOs need to know medical genetics because of the fact that "gene surgery" and improved diagnostic capablities of medicine will require basic knowledge in genetics. The student also said that osteopathic medical students who are interested in taking the USMLE will have to study the subject completely on their own. Hmmm.

Just Curious,

EDGAR

Members don't see this ad.

We had a fairly intensive genetics section in Biochem (22-25 lectures). In comparing our genetics to friends who attend allopathic schools we got every bit as much as they did. Our faculty is also actively involved in molecular biology research and publishing.

As I have said in other posts, whenever somebody talks about "DO schools" you should assume they are talking about their school.

We too had biochem lectures devoted to genetics. I agree that it's essential
information. Although I only had one genetics course as a grad student (ie.
not an expert) I thought the faculty did a good job of covering all the basics.

Deb

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

Thanks a bunch for all the great responses. I guess it hadn't dawned on me that most genetics topics will be covered in biochem. That's the way science is progressing these days anyhow, everything is taught interdepartmentally. Even in grad school I've learned a lot of genetics in my molecular and cell biology courses. Thanks guys. Have fun in med school, but I know it is tough sometimes with all the work. I can't wait until I start med school in the fall, I'm getting tired of thinking about little cells and molecules and proteins. I want to relearn all that stuff in the context of living, breathing, human beings!

EDGAR

I think he goofed. I got plenty of genetics at COMP -- however, it's really not that important; you probably got all you needed as an undergrad.

The one thing we don't get is statistical analysis. But, again, I learned it as an undergrad, so it wasn't a big loss.

A knowledge of stats is something that you'll need as a physician when reviewing articles; but if you've never had it, you can teach it to yourself in a matter of a few hours.

As far as stats, with most things, it varies from school to school. With some schools you'll get it. With others you CAN get it as an elective (i.e., NSUCOM is moving in the research direction and offers such classes for students interested in research).

But I agree with Dr. Burnett. If you need to learn stats, you can do so in a few hours. At least enough to read and interpret journal articles. And from my clinical research experience in grad school I've learned two things: 1) Many time there is a stats expert on the research team anyways so you need only a moderate familiarity with the methods, and 2) I don't want to be a researcher. :) After three research methods class, I've had enough. I just don't have the "research bug" as they call it.

Gregory Gulick
http://www.osteopathic.com/gregory