No GPA,NO class rank requirements: How true are these?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cool_vkb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was searching the CSRIP website for residency programs and a good number of them have no GPA preference or no class rank. Is this really true? or did they forgot to update that section.

Members don't see this ad.

I was searching the CSRIP website for residency programs and a good number of them have no GPA preference or no class rank. Is this really true? or did they forgot to update that section.

It generally means that there is no GPA or class rank REQUIREMENT to apply to the program. It doesn't mean that they don't look at it or consider it.

I think I've read somewhere before that the minimum GPA requirements aren't always maintained. Sometimes a 2.9 will pass when a 3.0 is required. How true is this?

It's all supply and demand, so that varies year to year.

Since a couple of the schools, well mainly just one, have recently been accepting way over their cap and overall class sizes are getting high, most good clerkships and residencies will probably be competitive in the coming years - especially the ones in popular locations (pod school cities, etc).

There are a small amount of programs that truly are sticklers on gpa (Yale, Inova, Swedish, etc). Still, even they will probably "tweak" their standards as needed if they are underapplied to or have spot(s) go to the scramble in any given year.

Last edited: