no green card or citizenship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thethethe

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys, i have a question. i don't have a green card or a citizenship and i would like to apply to dental school. i have been living in the united states for some time now and i attend a SUNY. I know medical schools rarely accept any international students, which i am considered i guess, but i am not sure how dental schools view this subject. will i be at an disadvantage when i apply or it doesnt matter for this schools.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

hi guys, i have a question. i don't have a green card or a citizenship and i would like to apply to dental school. i have been living in the united states for some time now and i attend a SUNY. I know medical schools rarely accept any international students, which i am considered i guess, but i am not sure how dental schools view this subject. will i be at an disadvantage when i apply or it doesnt matter for this schools.

Thank you

plenty of international students get into dental schools. You just have to apply to the right ones and early as well. Some schools have citizenship requirements so just check before you apply. Usually private schools wont care where your from...money is money hehehe

Members don't see this ad :)
You will be at somewhat of a disadvantage though. I am speaking from my own experience as an international student. There are schools that simply don't take international students and you will also have no state schools to fall back on. But it is still very possible to get in, imo. :)

As long as you have a legal status, you're good to go.

As I stated before and so did tamken -

MUST BE HERE LEGALLY !!!

well yes you are absolutely right, the op just mentioned he did not have citizenship or greencard, but he could be on a visa.

Also, I'm going to assume that you're on student visa right now. If so, make sure you are able to renew it for dental school. Student visas normally expire once your school term ends.

Hm... I looked at the introductory page of Kaplan DAT book, and there is "special note to international students" and explains that it is going to be more competitive to get into dental schools for international students. And I believe this is true. Although dental schools accept some international students, generally speaking, it is more competitive if you don't have a green card or US citizen. And when you have your interviews, they are definitely going to ask you if you are planning to go back to your country permanently after you become a dentist. I have a green card and they asked me this question. Then, say "No" If you say "Yes", they will reject you even if you have 4.0GPA and 25+ DAT scores. I believe this is the reason why schools prefer US citizens or permanent residence holders to visa holders. However, if your stats are outstanding and have your good application, you have a good chance to get in.

how hard is it to renew a student visa?

Not so hard. All you have to do is explain to the authorities that you will be in the US for another 4 years and will be able to support yourself, financially. They might want to check your back accounts as well.

Call up an immigration office and check. I know for a fact that some student visas are non renewable, so you have to go back to you country of citizenship, live there for a certain period of time and then reapply for a student visa. Hopefully, this is not the case with you.

bump

anybody here who applied as an international student and have gotten in?

i cant go back to my country of citizenship because my whole family moved here.

I did. I applied with a foreign citizenship and have been accepted to two schools. Also, my passport isn't really the most respected one these days, either, thanks to 9/11 and its aftermath:mad:.

Like everyone said, if you have a legal status, no need to worry.

I did. I applied with a foreign citizenship and have been accepted to two schools. Also, my passport isn't really the most respected one these days, either, thanks to 9/11 and its aftermath:mad:.

Like everyone said, if you have a legal status, no need to worry.

How hard is it for canadians to get into US schools considering, and im guessing, we need a visa too?

How hard is it for canadians to get into US schools considering, and im guessing, we need a visa too?

Not hard at all. Private schools run on money, which is why most Canadians end up in private schools. Plus, a Canadian citizenship makes you look good, since it's one of the most coveted documents in the world (from what I've heard). Anyhow, the only thing schools look at is if you are legally allowed to study in the US.

And, yes, everyone who is not a US resident or citizen will need a visa, as far as I know.

Yeah, I hear that a Canadian passport is actually worth some good money on the black market :D

good to know!! I guess if dentistry doesnt wory out, atleast i can make money with my passport!! lol ;)

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html#overview

As it states on this website, your nationality can work in your favor sometimes. So, damn all you Canadian passport holders!:p I wish I had one.:p

OP, it is best that you contact the schools and the immigration department. Everyone has a different situation, so everyone is dealt with differently when they apply for visas.

Hmm, I just always assumed that your were Canadian tamkhan seeing that you're located in T.

I am Canadian, by residence, since I live in Toronto. But, I don't have a Canadian nationality.:) I'll have one before I enter D-school, though. :D

It is not hard to extend your student visa, you only have to obtain an I-20 from the school you get accepted to and send your old visa along with your I- 20 and they usually extend your visa with no problem. And as everybody else already said private schools don't care about where you are from, but you should be here legally, and I don't know exactly which schools but I know some of the public ones also give admissions to international students such as UMDNJ , but double check on that, Good luck,