No home anesthesiology residency, and no rotation available during 3rd year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AntonFreeman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
M3 student at low tier MD school here. Just started 3rd year about a month ago and considering anesthesiology at this moment. We don't have anesthesiology residency at our school and we can maybe get 2 weeks of exposure of anesthesiology during surgery/ob. Any advice on how I could pursue anesthesiology ?

Members don't see this ad.

M3 student at low tier MD school here. Just started 3rd year about a month ago and considering anesthesiology at this moment. We don't have anesthesiology residency at our school and we can maybe get 2 weeks of exposure of anesthesiology during surgery/ob. Any advice on how I could pursue anesthesiology ?

do an away rotation at another med school. I never did it but assume you'd first have to work out the time when you could do it with your own med school and then once you know time possibilities, contact other med schools that have anesthesia residencies.

Reactions: 1 user
Yep, an away rotation would be best - be sure to ask your student affairs office about this process (will probably have to wait for elective time 4th year) and do it the earliest possible in the year. Be sure to get all your information stuff in the away rotation software (VSAS?) early so you can maximize your chances of getting a spot as some have had issues waiting until the last minute

Members don't see this ad :)
It's no biggie. My med school had no Anesthesia residency either. I just scheduled an elective anesthesia rotation as early as possible 4th year (the local PP group as well the local children's hospital let us rotate with them). Other than that I hung out at the head of the bed as much as possible on my surgery rotation. Do well in your other rotations. I didn't do any aways either and matched at my 1st choice CA program coming from an East Coast med school. I was asked about it on a couple interviews and if anything they felt it showed initiative and a true interest in the field that I pursued anesthesia despite there being no residency program at my med school and that there was no de facto exposure.

It's no biggie. My med school had no Anesthesia residency either. I just scheduled an elective anesthesia rotation as early as possible 4th year (the local PP group as well the local children's hospital let us rotate with them). Other than that I hung out at the head of the bed as much as possible on my surgery rotation. Do well in your other rotations. I didn't do any aways either and matched at my 1st choice CA program coming from an East Coast med school. I was asked about it on a couple interviews and if anything they felt it showed initiative and a true interest in the field that I pursued anesthesia despite there being no residency program at my med school and that there was no de facto exposure.

I would like to end up in California if it's possible. I am originally from socal but currently going to school in the east coast. So from your experience, doing an away rotation was not necessary for you to match in California? My step 1 score is decent (245+) and matching at UCLA or SD would be awesome.

Another thing I am worried about is having exposure to anesthesia late and I end up not liking it. Wouldn't it mess up my application cycle?