Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

no honors

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Smitty3L, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Smitty3L

Smitty3L Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have only 6 hours of honors credit and am in my junior year. Just wondering is if this will adversely affect me. Do you think that the majority of applicants graduate with honors?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Graduating with honors is overrated in some cases. For example, at Harvard, 91% of people graduate with honors. It basically means nothing.

-RA

4. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

I had no hours of honors, and received acceptances to 5 schools. :D

5. eunice

eunice Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

what are these honors classes?
    i don't think MIT had them.
    B/c at MIT, we don't have the whole graduating with honors stuff..
    how do these classes work?
    are they like High School Honors and AP classes?
    thanks!

6. Smitty3L

Smitty3L Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks for the encouragement!

7. mystic_b

mystic_b Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Honors like Phi Beta Kappa are like icing on the cake, but we should be ok without them too. It's hard to leave spaces blank on forms where they ask for honors though, like UCLA. Oh well.

8. closertofine

closertofine Emerging from hibernation
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was wondering how much, if any, weight is put on honors societies membership. I have been sent applications for several societies, but didn't feel like spending the money to have another listing on my resume (I wasn't pre-med then!). I did pay for and get into Phi Beta Kappa, though, and Golden Key. Of course, I have a lot of other things to put on my application, just wanted to know if these help at all.

9. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    at my school (a private lib arts college) you could graduate with all college honors (based upon overall GPA) and/or with departmental honors in which you had to have a 3.33 GPA in your major and do an honors thesis. For bio people like me, we had to do original research and, present it in front of a group, write a thesis (usually 75-100 pages) and defend it. For most people the workload is considered to be approximatly that of an upper level bio course with lab (5 credits on our semester system) at a minimum after most of the actually experiments have been done.

I think this later type of honors should be the only kind to exist. "Honors" based upon GPA only is bunk - if you want to show that you have a high GPA, just state your GPA!

Just my $0.02

10. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Very similar to what my school did. We also had high honors & highest honors (had to have higher GPAs to qualify for those)

11. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Yeah...our honors is top 5% get Summa Cum Laude, next 10% are Magna Cum Laude, next 15% is Cum Laude. Also, you can get distinction in a major. For that, I think it's 2/3 of classes in the major have to be an A/A- with a senior thesis/project as an A/A-, or 3/4 of classes have to be an A/A- with a senior thesis/project as a B+/B/B-.

-RA