no honors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smitty3L

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have only 6 hours of honors credit and am in my junior year. Just wondering is if this will adversely affect me. Do you think that the majority of applicants graduate with honors?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Smitty3L
I have only 6 hours of honors credit and am in my junior year. Just wondering is if this will adversely affect me. Do you think that the majority of applicants graduate with honors?

Graduating with honors is overrated in some cases. For example, at Harvard, 91% of people graduate with honors. It basically means nothing.

-RA

I had no hours of honors, and received acceptances to 5 schools. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
what are these honors classes?
i don't think MIT had them.
B/c at MIT, we don't have the whole graduating with honors stuff..
how do these classes work?
are they like High School Honors and AP classes?
thanks!

Originally posted by SMW
I had no hours of honors, and received acceptances to 5 schools. :D

Thanks for the encouragement!

Honors like Phi Beta Kappa are like icing on the cake, but we should be ok without them too. It's hard to leave spaces blank on forms where they ask for honors though, like UCLA. Oh well.

I was wondering how much, if any, weight is put on honors societies membership. I have been sent applications for several societies, but didn't feel like spending the money to have another listing on my resume (I wasn't pre-med then!). I did pay for and get into Phi Beta Kappa, though, and Golden Key. Of course, I have a lot of other things to put on my application, just wanted to know if these help at all.

at my school (a private lib arts college) you could graduate with all college honors (based upon overall GPA) and/or with departmental honors in which you had to have a 3.33 GPA in your major and do an honors thesis. For bio people like me, we had to do original research and, present it in front of a group, write a thesis (usually 75-100 pages) and defend it. For most people the workload is considered to be approximatly that of an upper level bio course with lab (5 credits on our semester system) at a minimum after most of the actually experiments have been done.

I think this later type of honors should be the only kind to exist. "Honors" based upon GPA only is bunk - if you want to show that you have a high GPA, just state your GPA!

Just my $0.02

Originally posted by Adcadet
at my school (a private lib arts college) you could graduate with all college honors (based upon overall GPA) and/or with departmental honors in which you had to have a 3.33 GPA in your major and do an honors thesis.

Very similar to what my school did. We also had high honors & highest honors (had to have higher GPAs to qualify for those)

Yeah...our honors is top 5% get Summa Cum Laude, next 10% are Magna Cum Laude, next 15% is Cum Laude. Also, you can get distinction in a major. For that, I think it's 2/3 of classes in the major have to be an A/A- with a senior thesis/project as an A/A-, or 3/4 of classes have to be an A/A- with a senior thesis/project as a B+/B/B-.

-RA