• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

NYCMD8

Jul 8, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Anyone else in this boat?

Everyone else around me (in Acadmemic NYC program) seems to be going for
Fellowships or has Hospitalist jobs lined up.

No specialties really interest me, I thought I liked hospitalist work - but now after a lot of moonlighting this year - it's just not challenging enough (only so many rule out ACS admissions I can take).

Help!

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2001
Cali

No specialties really interest me, I thought I liked hospitalist work - but now after a lot of moonlighting this year - it's just not challenging enough (only so many rule out ACS admissions I can take).

Help!

What a predicament?

Phyozo

10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

Help!

Marry rich

About the Ads

surge55

Mar 30, 2012
Status (Visible)

Help!

ok...

so you want something that's challenging, but no specialties interest you (I'm guessing because they are too specialized and you want more variety) but you can't stand doing the cookie cutter Hospitalist stuff....

academic medicine? lots of residency programs looking for faculty I'm sure.

jdh71

Grim Optimist.
10+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2006
Last House on the Block, USA
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
ok...

so you want something that's challenging, but no specialties interest you (I'm guessing because they are too specialized and you want more variety) but you can't stand doing the cookie cutter Hospitalist stuff....

academic medicine? lots of residency programs looking for faculty I'm sure.

He wants to get PAID tho, dawg (I'm sure).

I hate to say it but academic hospitalist these days is another word for "bitch". The only thing possibly making it even a little bit palatable would be the residents. All the new academic hospitalists I've talked to - young guys my age, my contemporaries are all applying for fellowship or doing anything they can to get a kick back private gig, where you don't do dick and consult out the yin-yang, but get paid to write the H&P and D/C summary.

I hate to be the guy that comes out and says, "medicine sucks" . . . and I'm not really saying that, but it's not what it used to be.

To the OP suck it up. Be a man. Get a job. Make some money. Or don't.

They don't call it "work" because it's fun. It's a trade off. Bottom line the funnest and or most fulfilling jobs in the world pay dick. Make up your mind. Embrace and accept your choices. I'd love to make the 350k I'm going to make in two years running a surf and dive shop on the pacific coast of Cost Rica - but that's magical thinking. I'm going to have to work for every ****ing thin dime of the money (and pay half of it to men with guns)

Life sucks then you die. Try to make the best of your time otherwise.

Good luck.

surge55

Mar 30, 2012
Status (Visible)
He wants to get PAID tho, dawg (I'm sure).

I hate to say it but academic hospitalist these days is another word for "bitch". The only thing possibly making it even a little bit palatable would be the residents. All the new academic hospitalists I've talked to - young guys my age, my contemporaries are all applying for fellowship or doing anything they can to get a kick back private gig, where you don't do dick and consult out the yin-yang, but get paid to write the H&P and D/C summary.

I hate to be the guy that comes out and says, "medicine sucks" . . . and I'm not really saying that, but it's not what it used to be.

To the OP suck it up. Be a man. Get a job. Make some money. Or don't.

They don't call it "work" because it's fun. It's a trade off. Bottom line the funnest and or most fulfilling jobs in the world pay dick. Make up your mind. Embrace and accept your choices. I'd love to make the 350k I'm going to make in two years running a surf and dive shop on the pacific coast of Cost Rica - but that's magical thinking. I'm going to have to work for every ****ing thin dime of the money (and pay half of it to men with guns)

Life sucks then you die. Try to make the best of your time otherwise.

Good luck.

:thumbup:

i'd like to see what the OP actually did to research the other specialties. I mean there are a LOT of them in IM...he didn't like any of them? did he even try them in an elective?

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.