No-II Gang HOW WE FEELIN ABOUT THIS WEEK? ~2020 edition~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am a reapplicant with an LM of 71 as well. I finished most of my apps throughout the month of August. Hoping the best for you!!
Eyy fellow reapp! That's awesome, I hope I'm trailing right behind as late-August/Sept complete. I got an R from a school I interviewed at last cycle recently so my doom and gloom is peaking but I'm hanging on hope through Thanksgiving at least. Go kill those IIs, you have it this cycle for sure!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Dear Applicants,

I regret to inform you I will be leaving No II Gang going forward this application cycle. Do not be dissuaded in your future medical aspirations or consider your potential diminished in the least. I wish you much success in securing an II in the very near future!

Kind regards,
II Gang as of 7 November

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 21 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Chin up my gang. Sending big warm hugs. We (hopefully) still got time. ❤️

Reactions: 5 users
about to queue that sad drake music and call it a cycle.

Reactions: 6 users
Any admissions people wanna reaffirm there’s still time for us lol?

I've picked up two rejections over the last two weeks. Strangely, that makes me feel optimistic because I feel like that means my application is actually being looked at and will be deliberated-on these coming weeks. Hoping these next few weeks yield something for me. Good luck no-II gang

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
bc ppl r interviewing at more place without worrying about traveling fees, i think schools may interview more ppl to build a bigger WL bc they dont know if their interviewees applied just for the hell of it

moral of the story? pineapples dont have sleeves
and dw boyos and girlos. maybe this year’s thanksgiving is christmas/new years

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Pretty bummed that I got rejected at 2 schools that interviewed and waitlisted me last year despite having a much improved app :(
I was rejected pre-interview this year with an improved application for a school I interviewed at two years ago. When I sought feedback that year, I was told that they had many competitive applicants that year and that I likely would have gotten a spot if their class was not already full...

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course there is still time. However, as time goes on, the odds become less and less likely.

How is this cycle different than all other cycles compared to when you should start worrying? Who knows. I’m sure some schools are handling it better than others. We are scheduling through January as of today, and we end second week of March.

The problem with this cycle is the same facing the M4s applying to residency. No cost limitations, no travel fatigue, and ability to interview multiple times in a week, even at programs you may not care about because, hey, why not?

Regardless of your outcomes, you should be continuing to push forward to make yourselves better should you need to reapply in the future. Just make sure to enjoy the Holidays and time with your families. I wish you all the best of luck.
how do you suggest we better ourselves with this current pandemic going on? i personally live at home with two at risk individuals who refuse to let me go back to clinical activities? any suggestion?

how do you suggest we better ourselves with this current pandemic going on? i personally live at home with two at risk individuals who refuse to let me go back to clinical activities? any suggestion?
What are you trying to improve? If you want to volunteer, find remote positions like crisis hotlines.

What are you trying to improve? If you want to volunteer, find remote positions like crisis hotlines.
i already have a remote position volunteering. its just difficult because many people are able to go volunteer in person, continue their lab research, etc. meanwhile i simply cannot get back to those activities because of my housing situation.

i already have a remote position volunteering. its just difficult because many people are able to go volunteer in person, continue their lab research, etc. meanwhile i simply cannot get back to those activities because of my housing situation.
not faulting anybody besides myself. of course. just kind of thinking out loud here.

not faulting anybody besides myself. of course. just kind of thinking out loud here.
I understand the frustration. “Improving” is easier said than done. While not impossible, opportunities certainly are limited. But you can still improve your GPA, MCAT, and/or volunteer on hotlines, etc.

If it were me, I would reapply after next cycle (depending on what my deficiencies were) so I would be as confident as possible as a reapplicant. Opportunities for face to face contact, letters of rec, and meaningful in person opportunities once all this passes. But again, I would seek meaningful feedback for what went wrong before doing anything.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Got another R guys. Tis my 7th and it hurts less every time :').

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Got another R guys. Tis my 7th and it hurts less every time :').
im sorry friend :( I know it's hard now but you're not alone in this and set backs dont define you. Im hopeful good news is on the way for you

im sorry friend :( I know it's hard now but you're not alone in this and set backs dont define you. Im hopeful good news is on the way for you
As long as I get one II that turns into an A, I could eat these Rs all day. Tis the uncertainty that kills me :').

I very much appreciate the support nonetheless. This year has unanimously been one for the birds. Hopefully some good will come our way to balance the bad.

• Care
As long as I get one II that turns into an A, I could eat these Rs all day. Tis the uncertainty that kills me :').

I very much appreciate the support nonetheless. This year has unanimously been one for the birds. Hopefully some good will come our way to balance the bad.
Well aaxxxcckkksshually, it's been one for the bats, amirite? Right.

• Sad
no brooo, we gotta have hope until the end :')
i'll treat it as a pleasant surprise if anything positive happens with the rest of the cycle. but personally im just too fatigued to hold out hope at this point. idek if that makes any sense, but its how i feel atm.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
i'll treat it as a pleasant surprise if anything positive happens with the rest of the cycle. but personally im just too fatigued to hold out hope at this point. idek if that makes any sense, but its how i feel atm.

No I feel, this cycle combined with everything else going on rn is definitely draining :/

I was talking to an undergrad student that I work with (i graduated 4 years ago but he's still in school) and he said that he has a professor that's on an admissions committee at University of Minnesota and that this person said they are MEGA behind, and that they have heard the majority of MD schools are MEGA behind. So I feel much better having applied in October.

Everyone should keep in mind that nobody knows **** unless they are literally involved with an admissions team at this point. Based on my cursory anecdotal research through reddit/r/premed and SDN, many people aren't receiving anything from schools and are upset enough about it to post about it, despite having applied early on. To me this demonstrates that schools are really behind. I really think the wisdom of the thanksgiving rule and whatever else is out the window right now.

If any of you are working in the real world and aren't in school or working in academia, the world is really moving much more slowly than normal. Everyone is working slowly, and work is slow because of the uncertainty and the frequent changes in policies and protocols and stuff. Things are getting disrupted and delayed left and right and have been all year.

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 17 users
I was talking to an undergrad student that I work with (i graduated 4 years ago but he's still in school) and he said that he has a professor that's on an admissions committee at University of Minnesota and that this person said they are MEGA behind, and that they have heard the majority of MD schools are MEGA behind. So I feel much better having applied in October.

Everyone should keep in mind that nobody knows **** unless they are literally involved with an admissions team at this point. Based on my cursory anecdotal research through reddit/r/premed and SDN, many people aren't receiving anything from schools and are upset enough about it to post about it, despite having applied early on. To me this demonstrates that schools are really behind. I really think the wisdom of the thanksgiving rule and whatever else is out the window right now.

If any of you are working in the real world and aren't in school or working in academia, the world is really moving much more slowly than normal. Everyone is working slowly, and work is slow because of the uncertainty and the frequent changes in policies and protocols and stuff. Things are getting disrupted and delayed left and right and have been all year.
Agreed! On election night that was my first thought. If it’s taking States longer to go through votes maybe med schools are also taking longer to go through apps

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Thank you for this. Can you ask your co-worker to put in a good word for me for their MD/PhD program?

• Haha
I am losing all hope for an II now :( and it is almost Thanksgiving week.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 13 users
I am losing all hope for an II now :( and it is almost Thanksgiving week.

I dont believe the Thanksgiving rule applies for this cycle. But, also, I believe it was LizzyM that stated that a bunch of med school admins meet up for something held by AAMC in November, maybe attributing to the lull? Don't hold me to that, but there's still ways to go!!

I dont believe the Thanksgiving rule applies for this cycle. But, also, I believe it was LizzyM that stated that a bunch of med school admins meet up for something held by AAMC in November, maybe attributing to the lull? Don't hold me to that, but there's still ways to go!!
That was indeed LizzyM. Meeting went from the 16th until today. Learn Serve Lead: The AAMC Annual Meeting

Reactions: 1 users
Just got my first II WL. So no interviews, but also silence from everywhere else. Not feeling good at this point, but I did finish mostly in Sept/Oct (app wasn't verified til 3rd week of Sept). I'm just hoping for some good news at some point.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Just got my first II WL. So no interviews, but also silence from everywhere else. Not feeling good at this point, but I did finish mostly in Sept/Oct (app wasn't verified til 3rd week of Sept). I'm just hoping for some good news at some point.
mind sharing which school that was at ? was it WVU?

Just here to cheer everyone on who's still waiting for an II. I've had complete radio silence for months – and then got my first II (and likely only, because I have severe geographic restrictions and thus a small school list) on Wednesday. And that was from a school where I was complete in mid-July. IIs are still coming out, and a lot of admissions offices have been telling SDNers who call in that they're way behind this year. The waiting sucks, but you're still in the race. Good luck!

• Care
Reactions: 16 users
I got 3 R's and a hold this week. Guess it was a busy week for medical schools :(

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
II to my dream school came through this afternoon. BYE GUYS I LOVE YOU!

HOLD ONTO THAT HOPE!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 24 users
9TH R GUYZ. I CAN DO THIS ALL DAY*

*ᵃˢ ˡᵒⁿᵍ ᵃˢ ᴵ ᵍᵉᵗ ᵃⁿ ᴬ

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
The R's are just rolling in now!!! I didn't have a single MD R until a week or two ago and now I have 4. As the person above me implied, though, all it takes is one A and I'm holding out hope!

ETA: Also I know I'm kind of a cheater because I had 1 II at a DO school, but since I have 0 II for MD I figured I was allowed to post :horns:

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users
I’m just being ghosted

Maybe the schools I applied to don’t really do pre ii R ? Or they’re just teasing me and they’re going to all come in Feb ?

this friken sucks

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I’m just being ghosted

Maybe the schools I applied to don’t really do pre ii R ? Or they’re just teasing me and they’re going to all come in Feb ?

this friken sucks
There's a thread with schools that have already sent out pre-II rejections. If you go on the school-specific thread, you can usually figure out around what dates applicants who've gotten them had completed their apps. I know schools don't always review apps chronologically, but knowing I've survived at least a few rejection waves already has kept me hopefully.

Based on my cursory anecdotal research through reddit/r/premed and SDN, many people aren't receiving anything from schools and are upset enough about it to post about it, despite having applied early on. To me this demonstrates that schools are really behind.
I really hope you're right, BUT...people say this kind of thing every year, and those like myself who are desperate for hope always believe it no questions asked. Every year there are tons of people who get 0 II's and are upset about it, and every year there is a newfound ad-hoc reason why things will be better...for example in my first cycle people hypothesized that the new traffic rules would mean more waitlist movement and that didn't seem to materialize. Last cycle people hypothesized that it would be better because the schools had acclimatized to the traffic rules, but no dice.

Now, granted, COVID-19 is a much bigger deal than a minor rule change to AAMC policy as were traffic rules. So I do share a bit of hope that this actually *has* substantially delayed things. That said, most of my friends have 5+ II already and all the schools with application trackers seem to be roughly on pace with a normal year. I'll believe a more forgiving cycle with plenty of good news still to come when I see it.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
pain.png

P A I N

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
still sitting on zero over here. i've also survived many many R waves for similar complete dates. but a bad feeling looms, nonetheless.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users