No-II gang HOW WE FEELIN ABOUT THIS WEEK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted850921

This is the week for us, I feel it.

And before anyone says it, yea I know it’s early or whatever, just making a light thread lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
FOr the people who have gotten II, about how long after being complete have they started hearing back?

Reactions: 2 users
FOr the people who have gotten II, about how long after being complete have they started hearing back?

I completed 13 secondaries so far, with 10 being done by end of July. Curious to know myself

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
the shortest turnaround time I had was 8 days!

Reactions: 4 users
I completed all my schools before july 26. My earliest interview came july 23 after submitting july 10. I got 2 more before the end of august. Ive received 5 per week for the past 2 weeks. Somedays none and somedays 3.

• Wow
It took me a good 3-4 weeks after submitting my secondaries to hear back from schools--I definitely wouldn't be getting worried about anything this early :)

Reactions: 1 users
Complete 8/9 at most schools. Using at school specific threads, they are still evaluating mostly applicants completed in July. A good portion of schools have yet to send out a single II either. I'm not expecting anything back for another few weeks. Doesn't stop me from frantically checking my email and school portals every so often.

I have a total of 3 interviews. One of these came 1 month after complete date, and the other two came about 20 days after complete date. Keep in mind though, I was complete early-mid July for most schools, meaning most schools haven't started sending out interviews yet which would make the time between complete -> II reasonable.

The people with shorter turnaround time seem to be the one's who were complete when II's already started being distributed.

The shortest turnaround time I have had was 4 days. The longest thus far was 23.

To the no-II gang: Just know that less than 20% of all interviews that will be sent out this cycle have been sent out. This does not mean the likes of me, @u_raptor and @EmbryonalCarcinoma will be getting 5X as many interviews. It means that the pace for the high rollers will slow down and the rest of the applicants will get their flood. It will be soon. Chins up!

Edit: The electrons are not good at conveying encouragement and this just sounds patronizing upon rereading...I am being encouraging, patronizing is unintended.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users
mom pick me up i'm scared

I'm gonna wait until September 1, maybe sooner, and if I don't hear anything I plan to:

1) Withdraw all my apps
2) Go full neurotic and create a thread asking if a 512 is good for Carib

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 10 users
No II gang 'bout to have no members by the end of this week :1devilish:

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Classic SDN, OP asks question to people with no interviews, all people with interviews feel the need to chime in lol

• Haha
Reactions: 40 users
Classic SDN, OP asks question to people with no interviews, all people with interviews feel the need to chime in lol
To be fair, the second post in the thread posed a question to people with interviews.

Reactions: 5 users
On a more serious note, after searching others' experience with getting II's and how it can take a while, we got this!

I'm gonna wait until September 1, maybe sooner, and if I don't hear anything I plan to:

1) Withdraw all my apps
2) Go full neurotic and create a thread asking if a 512 is good for Carib

Also if the A- from Orgo is good enough for Carib haha :laugh:

• Haha
Pretty good now that I’ve been marked complete at a lot of schools (8/13-8/16). Freaking letter writers. Not expecting anything this week though. Hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks.

Trying to remain relatively calm until the no-II-no-turkey date

Anyone still adding schools at this point beyond what they already have? Trying to figure out if it'd be beneficial to do so this far into August.

Anyone still adding schools at this point beyond what they already have? Trying to figure out if it'd be beneficial to do so this far into August.

I added 2 or 3 schools over the weekend. It's fine if you can have a fast turnaround time with them

Complete by Labor Day means that for all applicants, even at the most selective programs, timing will have no impact on your chances. For most solid applicants, complete by end of Sept at most programs means timing will have no impact on your chances

And again, it can take up to 4 months (yes I said months) from date of file marked complete for an application to be fully evaluated and reviewed for II decision

Thumbs up!

Just to add, with the increase in applications per school, I am seeing an increase in the post Thanksgiving eval/review/II process, so there is still a sizable fraction of II that go out thru January and even a bit later

But as I advise all applicants, you must assume that you will be rejected and continue to enhance your record for reapplication

How do we know there's been an overall increase in applications this year? If true, seems like I applied during a bad year haha

Finished by 7/27 for all schools. Current reapplicant. Broadened my school list, rewrote everything (with a lot of edits from advisor PI and MS friends — something I didn’t do the first time). Added 4k hours research 400 hours service (200 clinical) over two years since 2018. Last time I applied I got interviews from NYU UCLA UMass and BU. Got waitlisted from the first two and rejected from the second two.

So far all I have is a rejection from Keck... I know I’m being impatient neurotic but this time around it’s almost twice as anxiety inducing. It’s like not only anxiety inducing in and of itself but it’s also bringing back memories. Any reapps with similar experiences? Oh ORM, 521 MCAT, 3.8GPA from a top 5 undergrad for whoever cares.

d9KdAvH_d.jpg

(source: Blue Chair comics by shen)

• Haha
Reactions: 18 users
Aight people not a horrible day, got some more complete emails, finished some secondaries (almost done with all secondaries yikes).

Yea added a few schools this weekend as well and submitted them all today. I think I may panic add one more school but I’m done with adding secondaries lol

Dudes! Chill! Go practice putting a central line or something...

Dudes! Chill! Go practice putting a central line or something...

Already did that while I was practicing my suturing on a grape with a DaVinci machine this morning man. What else do you think I would be doing?

Already did that while I was practicing my suturing on a grape with a DaVinci machine this morning man. What else do you think I would be doing?

Well then, sir, time to practice an ultrasound guided thoracentesis on a watermelon. Lots of fluid there...

Finished by 7/27 for all schools. Current reapplicant. Broadened my school list, rewrote everything (with a lot of edits from advisor PI and MS friends — something I didn’t do the first time). Added 4k hours research 400 hours service (200 clinical) over two years since 2018. Last time I applied I got interviews from NYU UCLA UMass and BU. Got waitlisted from the first two and rejected from the second two.

So far all I have is a rejection from Keck... I know I’m being impatient neurotic but this time around it’s almost twice as anxiety inducing. It’s like not only anxiety inducing in and of itself but it’s also bringing back memories. Any reapps with similar experiences? Oh ORM, 521 MCAT, 3.8GPA from a top 5 undergrad for whoever cares.

Did you not do well during interviews or something? How do you have those stats and get interviews to those specific schools, but not get accepted somewhere?

Reactions: 4 users
Submitted with ( in my opinion ) pretty well written 2ndary essays that I had reviewed by several individuals before submitting.
Finished them as they came, 2 week turnaround, done by 07/26 I believe.
No II yet.

I have 2 friends that I call and complain to every other day. If you're the friend that receives the complaining phone call just know you are appreciated lol.

Submitted with ( in my opinion ) pretty well written 2ndary essays that I had reviewed by several individuals before submitting.
Finished them as they came, 2 week turnaround, done by 07/26 I believe.
No II yet.

I have 2 friends that I call and complain to every other day. If you're the friend that receives the complaining phone call just know you are appreciated lol.

None of my friends are even applying unfortunately afaik. This is why I complain to you all here XD

• Haha
Did you not do well during interviews or something? How do you have those stats and get interviews to those specific schools, but not get accepted somewhere?

Your guess is as good as mine! I don’t have any idea. I asked my pre med advisor and she recommended more clinical hours even though I had a lot already. I mean ultimately even w my stats the probably of getting in was only 80% (if we all abide by the lord LizzyM). Trying to keep my hopes up!

Just a heads up for all the "no-II gang":

I didn't get my first MD II until mid-DECEMBER last year (agonizing wait lol) and I was complete earlyyy. Then 5 of the rolled in. So, just be patient, send in value-adding updates to your schools after a few months, and continue to show your interest in their programs. Good luck ~

Reactions: 7 users
Your guess is as good as mine! I don’t have any idea. I asked my pre med advisor and she recommended more clinical hours even though I had a lot already. I mean ultimately even w my stats the probably of getting in was only 80% (if we all abide by the lord LizzyM). Trying to keep my hopes up!
How many hours did they suggest vs what you had?

Seems like you had a great shot based on interviews
And has keck already started sending rejections this cycle??

Aight people not a horrible day, got some more complete emails, finished some secondaries (almost done with all secondaries yikes).

Yea added a few schools this weekend as well and submitted them all today. I think I may panic add one more school but I’m done with adding secondaries lol

How many schools are you applying to in total?

I feel good vibes in the air for us friends! I have been very obsessive with checking my emails and portals but I know that will not hurry things along and it’s still way too early to be this anxious (although the anxiety is inevitable throughout this process, it’s good to put it in check every now in then)

Reactions: 5 users
Just need 1 fam. Well 3 to be statistically correct, but 1 is enough to keep the fire alive

Reactions: 6 users
Not sure yet, but looks to be between 20-25. How about you?

More than that unfortunately. I still have many a secondary to write :arghh:

I feel good vibes in the air for us friends! I have been very obsessive with checking my emails and portals but I know that will not hurry things along and it’s still way too early to be this anxious (although the anxiety is inevitable throughout this process, it’s good to put it in check every now in then)

Lol I used to check my portals 2-3 times a day last week, now I’m only doing it once a day bc I’ve lost steam XD

Lol I used to check my portals 2-3 times a day last week, now I’m only doing it once a day bc I’ve lost steam XD

Why the checking? Wouldnt they email you re/ II?

Why the checking? Wouldnt they email you re/ II?

Yea that’s what I realized. But some of my schools are known not to email and use their portal (Albany, Loyola) so I still kinda check for them.

Tbh it’s tough not to be tempted to look just due to the nature of this process lol

Yea that’s what I realized. But some of my schools are known not to email and use their portal (Albany, Loyola) so I still kinda check for them.

Tbh it’s tough not to be tempted to look just due to the nature of this process lol

I am not applying to either of those. What other schools are likely to just update portal vs interviews?
Haha yes this whole process can be stressful. Checking everyday for the next few months isn't sustainable for sure

I am not applying to either of those. What other schools are likely to just update portal vs interviews?
Haha yes this whole process can be stressful. Checking everyday for the next few months isn't sustainable for sure

Just check every Friday! (or pick your favorite day) schools give you two weeks to accept the II so checking once a week is sufficient

Just check every Friday! (or pick your favorite day) schools give you two weeks to accept the II so checking once a week is sufficient

Gotcha! Makes sense. Fanks :D