No-II gang HOW WE FEELIN ABOUT THIS WEEK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh really? I was watching multiple school-specific threads, and it seems people getting invites in Oct are having interview dates in Dec, people getting invites in Nov are having dates in Jan, etc.

One school I got an II at sent it to me in August for an end of September interview date. Another school sent me an II for a week later. And the third school I interviewed at let me schedule my own date on their portal. It varies from school to school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Oh really? I was watching multiple school-specific threads, and it seems people getting invites in Oct are having interview dates in Dec, people getting invites in Nov are having dates in Jan, etc.
Just an n=1 but my early October invites were scheduled for mid/late October and one I got a few days ago is for December third. Most time I’ve had between invite and interview was like 4-5 weeks solely because I called admissions and pushed it back 2x because of family stuff

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Did you apply DO? And if you were complete MD later there is still hope! 60 percent of II's are out by T-giving for MD, not 100%.

No and Im opting out of doing so because I have concerns as to matching potential coming out of a DO vs MD.

I have no issue waiting so it looks like thats going to have to be the case.

Members don't see this ad :)

It depends on the school lol. Some schools already booked till February, whereas others haven’t even booked all of December yet.

• Wow
Damn congrats! Any tips? I’m not looking to lose that much weight but to get back In shape after losing all my healthy habits these last few months

It really is a change in lifestyle with most of it being diet. You can work out consistently but if you have a bad diet then it doesn't matter how much you work out, you aren't going to get the results you're looking for. I would say its 80% diet and 20% exercise. For the longest time I would make some progress only to gain it back or give up because I wasn't getting results. The key is to be consistent. Have a plan each week and stick to it.

I eat 1,600 calories a day Monday through Friday. These days it is all healthy food with no cheating. Saturday is my cheat day. I eat 4,000 calories on this day. lol. Pizza, ice cream, donuts, chicken wings, tacos, cookies, China buffet, fast food, BBQ ribs with mashed potatoes. You name it. I love food! This is my day to go out with friends and not worry about what I eat. You earned it eating well and working out all week so eat up! Sunday I eat 2,000 to 2,400 calories a day. As you can see I am eating more calories than Monday through Friday but most of the time on this day I am eating healthy food. Sometimes I make Sunday a half cheat day. I have been losing 2-3 pounds a week with this diet. But caloric intake will depend on genetics, how much physical activity you are doing each week, and your goal weight. Also, I NEVER bring home cheat food. If I have some cheat food in my fridge or around my place I will fall into temptation and eat it at some point during the week. On cheat days I pick something up or I go out with friends to eat. I don't have cheat food lying around at home.

Don't give up and be so hard on yourself
There have been weeks where I haven't stuck with it where I didn't lose any weight or even gained some weight. This is when some people (including myself in the past) give up. Its easy to say well I tried and I can't do it. Sometimes it is frustrating but you've got to look at the progress you've made and start fresh next week! Keep your goal in mind.

You have to make time
With busy schedules its easy to say we don't have time. But how many hours a week are people going out with friends or taking time with hobbies? How many hours are people on social media? How many hours are you on Netflix? Its important to identify how we waste time (for me its procrastinating on social media) or look at our schedule each week and sacrifice some things. It is tougher for some people with busier schedules but in my experience, you have to make time. Instead of going out with friends or watching Netflix some days you might have to workout and sacrifice those things. Stop being on social media so much. Be aware of how you waste time. With that time wasted each week you could be working out. Maybe you need to get up 30 minutes earlier or stay up later 30 minutes each day in order to get time for your workout! There will be some sacrifices. There is always a reason to not workout. You just have to do it.

You don't need endless hours of cardio
While losing weight I have been doing 5 HITT cardio workouts a week. These workouts are 30 minutes to an hour long. Most of them are 30 to 40 minutes. I got a subscription to the beach body on demand for $10 a month. With this subscription, I get hundreds of HITT workouts and a lot of nutrition plans. Most of them you don't need any equipment and you can do them anywhere. Obviously people don't need this app but I love it for the accountability and ability to talk with others. It lays out everything for me. It gives me a plan and organization. You can always look up free HITT cardio workouts on youtube or maybe you have your own but for me I've needed Beach Body on Demand. I really like Shaun T on beach body. The Insanity workouts are my favorite and the guy is awesome. Get in at least 3 HITT cardio work outs a week. It just takes 30 minutes a day! I love the convenience of it.

I've been doing some weight training as well. When I get to my goal weight I will probably go down to 3 HITT cardio workouts a week. I got 20 more pounds to go. I envisioned losing all of my weight by now when I started back in January but the progress is there and eventually I know I can do it.

:)

Reactions: 9 users
It really is a change in lifestyle with most of it being diet. You can work out consistently but if you have a bad diet then it doesn't matter how much you work out, you aren't going to get the results you're looking for. I would say its 80% diet and 20% exercise. For the longest time I would make some progress only to gain it back or give up because I wasn't getting results. The key is to be consistent. Have a plan each week and stick to it.

I eat 1,600 calories a day Monday through Friday. These days it is all healthy food with no cheating. Saturday is my cheat day. I eat 4,000 calories on this day. lol. Pizza, ice cream, donuts, chicken wings, tacos, cookies, China buffet, fast food, BBQ ribs with mashed potatoes. You name it. I love food! This is my day to go out with friends and not worry about what I eat. You earned it eating well and working out all week so eat up! Sunday I eat 2,000 to 2,400 calories a day. As you can see I am eating more calories than Monday through Friday but most of the time on this day I am eating healthy food. Sometimes I make Sunday a half cheat day. I have been losing 2-3 pounds a week with this diet. But caloric intake will depend on genetics, how much physical activity you are doing each week, and your goal weight. Also, I NEVER bring home cheat food. If I have some cheat food in my fridge or around my place I will fall into temptation and eat it at some point during the week. On cheat days I pick something up or I go out with friends to eat. I don't have cheat food lying around at home.

Don't give up and be so hard on yourself
There have been weeks where I haven't stuck with it where I didn't lose any weight or even gained some weight. This is when some people (including myself in the past) give up. Its easy to say well I tried and I can't do it. Sometimes it is frustrating but you've got to look at the progress you've made and start fresh next week! Keep your goal in mind.

You have to make time
With busy schedules its easy to say we don't have time. But how many hours a week are people going out with friends or taking time with hobbies? How many hours are people on social media? How many hours are you on Netflix? Its important to identify how we waste time (for me its procrastinating on social media) or look at our schedule each week and sacrifice some things. It is tougher for some people with busier schedules but in my experience, you have to make time. Instead of going out with friends or watching Netflix some days you might have to workout and sacrifice those things. Stop being on social media so much. Be aware of how you waste time. With that time wasted each week you could be working out. Maybe you need to get up 30 minutes earlier or stay up later 30 minutes each day in order to get time for your workout! There will be some sacrifices. There is always a reason to not workout. You just have to do it.

You don't need endless hours of cardio
While losing weight I have been doing 5 HITT cardio workouts a week. These workouts are 30 minutes to an hour long. Most of them are 30 to 40 minutes. I got a subscription to the beach body on demand for $10 a month. With this subscription, I get hundreds of HITT workouts and a lot of nutrition plans. Most of them you don't need any equipment and you can do them anywhere. Obviously people don't need this app but I love it for the accountability and ability to talk with others. It lays out everything for me. It gives me a plan and organization. You can always look up free HITT cardio workouts on youtube or maybe you have your own but for me I've needed Beach Body on Demand. I really like Shaun T on beach body. The Insanity workouts are my favorite and the guy is awesome. Get in at least 3 HITT cardio work outs a week. It just takes 30 minutes a day! I love the convenience of it.

I've been doing some weight training as well. When I get to my goal weight I will probably go down to 3 HITT cardio workouts a week. I got 20 more pounds to go. I envisioned losing all of my weight by now when I started back in January but the progress is there and eventually I know I can do it.

:)
Damn thank you for giving a thorough response and thanks to everyone else who’s responded as well. Time to start my resolution for 2020 :)

Reactions: 2 users
Just got another email for....NY College of Podiatric medicine.

• Haha
Reactions: 20 users
Late August completer checking in. Fingers crossed that there is still some hope for us

Reactions: 6 users
Late August completer checking in. Fingers crossed that there is still some hope for us
If you haven't gotten any R's , then no news is good news ATM. I was complete early/mid Sept.

Me toooo. I'm just scared because I feel like if there was no interest in the first 4-5 months then I don't see why there would be in the next few months.

• Sad
Me toooo. I'm just scared because I feel like if there was no interest in the first 4-5 months then I don't see why there would be in the next few months.
It hasn't been 4 months yet! Not until Christmas!

1575393688074.png

me on Xmas

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Because while you apparently didn't blow them away on their first pass, they also didn't reject you although they always had the option to do so. As they get to the end, you might look better to them, depending on what the rest of their pool looks like. With your stats, you're always going to be in the game until you get rejected.

Just keep this in mind -- it's not that there was no interest (otherwise you'd have a bunch more Rs), it's that you were put aside while they waited to see what else they had to choose from. As time goes on, they will have less subjectively "better" candidates to choose from, and you very well may receive a few IIs. It happens every year, since common wisdom says around 40% of IIs are going to go out between now and the end of the cycle.

• Love
Because while you apparently didn't blow them away on their first pass, they also didn't reject you although they always had the option to do so. As they get to the end, you might look better to them, depending on what the rest of their pool looks like. With your stats, you're always going to be in the game until you get rejected.

Just keep this in mind -- it's not that there was no interest (otherwise you'd have a bunch more Rs), it's that you were put aside while they waited to see what else they had to choose from. As time goes on, they will have less subjectively "better" candidates to choose from, and you very well may receive a few IIs. It happens every year, since common wisdom says around 40% of IIs are going to go out between now and the end of the cycle.
That is almost worse. It's like, you're wondering what the rest of the pool will look like, and how their quality determines what happens to you.

That is almost worse. It's like, you're wondering what the rest of the pool will look like, and how their quality determines what happens to you.
I think you should have hope as we get into December and you haven't been rejected (especially if your stats are at or above the median for the school), that you might get a call, as long as they are still issuing IIs.

If you submitted early and haven't heard by now, it IS because there was nothing in your app that made you an early II or an early R, so your fate has always been determined by what the rest of the pool looked like. The good news is that you still haven't received an R, and, ask anyone with an R -- still waiting is NOT worse!!!

Edit -- I just looked at your sig and noticed that you were not complete early, so in your case, they really just might not have gotten to you yet. Try to hang tight, because there is really nothing else to do at this point! Ironically, you are the rest of the pool that the early submitters are being compared to. :)

• Haha
other sept completes still waiting on IIs? took my mcat late and submitted to MD & DO schools before getting my score. wound up scoring worse than expected and am probably only waiting on DO IIs. still not a bad DO applicant but did I apply too late maybe?

As in the planeblue data?

As in the planeblue data?
Yes, and related wisdom from adcoms like @Goro and @gonnif. I might have been a little too optimistic in stating 40%, however, since a closer look at various posts seems to indicate the number is actually something less than 30%. Either way, the bottom line is that while more than half of all IIs have already been extended, I think that anyone who has not yet received an R, and whose stats are at or above the median at schools that are not done interviewing, still has a real chance.

Reactions: 7 users
Yes, and related wisdom from adcoms like @Goro and @gonnif. I might have been a little too optimistic in stating 40%, however, since a closer look at various posts seems to indicate the number is actually something less than 30%. Either way, the bottom line is that while more than half of all IIs have already been extended, I think that anyone who has not yet received an R, and whose stats are at or above the median at schools that are not done interviewing, still has a real chance.
Thank you for your encouraging words! I've been speculating about my app ever since I saw that one chart indicating % Acceptances based upon your MCAT/GPA: for mine it was ~80%. It's just made me wonder if my numbers may be strong but the rest of my app is lukewarm (ECs? Research?), which is why I'm (possibly!) in the minority. Every passing day intensifies the feeling that something was terribly wrong lol. But I understand your point! It is quite a strain to keep hoping for so long, but hope I shall!

Thank you for your encouraging words! I've been speculating about my app ever since I saw that one chart indicating % Acceptances based upon your MCAT/GPA: for mine it was ~80%. It's just made me wonder if my numbers may be strong but the rest of my app is lukewarm (ECs? Research?), which is why I'm (possibly!) in the minority. Every passing day intensifies the feeling that something was terribly wrong lol. But I understand your point! It is quite a strain to keep hoping for so long, but hope I shall!
There is still time for you to hit that interview+acceptance combo. Hopefully you will do it.
Prior to this cycle I did significant analysis on the amcas mcat/gpa grid. with 80 percent chance means 1 out of 5 will miss out with that stat. More likely the weakest ECs guy will take the heat. On average Guys with gap year(s) are likely to have better ECs than the Senior year folks with the same stats. The trend is that even with greatest of the stats, with a weaker EC, you could miss out. I used to wonder how come people with score of 517+ and 3.8gpa miss out. Per grid, 87 percent get accepted. Meaning one in 8 will miss out. these are the guys with weakest ECS of the gang.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
So since somebody else browsing the school-specific threads from previous years said, Dec is normally the month Sept. complete dates reliably hear back. ( I know for DO I was complete more like end of Sept but still). This . is.our.month.
Turns out I was correct, this is our month.
I got two II's yesterday!!!!! :soexcited:
One for NYITCOM-Long Island, and one for UMASS Med!!!! Dream school! :love:

• Love
Reactions: 25 users
Turns out I was correct, this is our month.
I got two II's yesterday!!!!! :soexcited:
One for NYITCOM-Long Island, and one for UMASS Med!!!! Dream school! :love:
Yep. Our week for news. I woke up to two R’s lol :(

• Sad
Yep. Our week for news. I woke up to two R’s lol :(
Wait...aren't you the Alaska guy with kids who also got two II's? Or was that someone else?
Sorry :(

This week is apparently when I'll hear back from my one (and possibly only) school that interviewed me back in November.

Send thoughts and prayers my way cause I'm running out of patience haha. Been away from the gym due to injury so I don't have a good stress relief at the moment.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
This week is apparently when I'll hear back from my one (and possibly only) school that interviewed me back in November.

Send thoughts and prayers my way cause I'm running out of patience haha. Been away from the gym due to injury so I don't have a good stress relief at the moment.
Good luck! That’s honestly also kind of a quick turnaround lol, unless you interviewed very early November.

Found an actual picture of me as I, a URM, start realizing that SDN's perceived advantage of URM's is entirely overblown with 0 II's.

82f229d0f6bc1931_a84.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: 10 users
FIRST MD INTERVIEW!!!!! OMGGGGGGGG!!!!!!

I will continue to follow this thread and cheer everyone else on. I am pulling for you! :)

Reactions: 14 users
Mind sharing the school or if I could DM you? I have similar stats and the silence is deafening.

University of Louisville! Weren't you complete in September or October? I was complete mid-August and finally got an interview. Don't lose hope. I am sure your time is coming.

University of Louisville! Weren't you complete in September or October? I was complete mid-August and finally got an interview. Don't lose hope. I am sure your time is coming.
Finished secondaries spread out from early September to the latest one being marked complete on 10/1. Got 2 R's from Dartmouth (no surprise) and Rosalind Franklin (this one hurt and made me nervous not gonna lie lol).

Finished secondaries spread out from early September to the latest one being marked complete on 10/1. Got 2 R's from Dartmouth (no surprise) and Rosalind Franklin (this one hurt and made me nervous not gonna lie lol).

Understandable if you’re worried about RFU bc it is closer to your stats but keep in mind it is a very low yield school - it literally received the most (or a ton of ) apps and it’s very very hard for applicants to get through (hence low yield). Keep the hopes up! :)

Chiming in with one more R.. Up to 3Rs and 2 pre-II holds but I've pretty much accepted that I won't get in this year and just getting ready for a year of just working, volunteering and enjoying life :cool: and I'm totally ok with that. My time might not be yet but it will come.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Complete early to mid Sept, 1 MD R and 2 pre-II holds (1 MD, 1 DO). Rooting for us all! I am keeping positive, though preparing for all outcomes and am gearing up with my re-app plans for the new year. Also trying to add a little more fun back into my schedule. This waiting game is more brutal than I anticipated.

Complete early to mid Sept, 1 MD R and 2 pre-II holds (1 MD, 1 DO). Rooting for us all! I am keeping positive, though preparing for all outcomes and am gearing up with my re-app plans for the new year. Also trying to add a little more fun back into my schedule. This waiting game is more brutal than I anticipated.
It is really bad. ( the waiting game) But it's over when you least expect it. I got my II from my state school while sitting in class and almost threw up in the lecture hall. ( big rush of emotions)

Understandable if you’re worried about RFU bc it is closer to your stats but keep in mind it is a very low yield school - it literally received the most (or a ton of ) apps and it’s very very hard for applicants to get through (hence low yield). Keep the hopes up! :)
Very true. You live and you learn I guess. I've been to so few cities and states outside of where I live so it was hard for me to gauge if higher yield schools in less than desirable states would have been a good idea to apply to.

Looks like I'll have to do some traveling if i dont get in . Thanks for the words of encouragement. Wish you luck this cycle.

So, since I got some good news last Friday, I was really anticipating getting more news this week ( because it looked like schools were getting to my app complete date, ya know). And I don't mean good news necessarily, I mean any news ( holds, R's, etc.) Nothing. Huh.Wierd.

So, since I got some good news last Friday, I was really anticipating getting more news this week ( because it looked like schools were getting to my app complete date, ya know). And I don't mean good news necessarily, I mean any news ( holds, R's, etc.) Nothing. Huh.Wierd.

I feel like things are gonna slow down even more this coming week in anticipation of Christmas and new year and all that lol

I feel like things are gonna slow down even more this coming week in anticipation of Christmas and new year and all that lol
True but its a little early for pre-Christmas slowdown...

Hey guys, keep your heads up! I got 3 interviews in the span of the last week and now am up to 5 MD interviews. My first one didn't come until mid-October. Good luck to all!

Reactions: 7 users
Hey gang, as we approach Jan, I am wondering whether to send in updates? Only news is more accrued hours of already listed vol role, and impending fall grades when they post. Should I write a few sentences and also reinforce why I'm a great fit for the school, or is this not recommended since I have nothing glorious to add?

Hey gang, as we approach Jan, I am wondering whether to send in updates? Only news is more accrued hours of already listed vol role, and impending fall grades when they post. Should I write a few sentences and also reinforce why I'm a great fit for the school, or is this not recommended since I have nothing glorious to add?
I sent in a ton of updates. I don't know if it helped, but I got an interview invite a week after sending it. You could write one or two sentences to explain why this school, but I would keep it short. Long update letters aren't a good idea. I think it's good to show interest and some persistence towards the school. However, some schools had extensive secondaries explaining "Why us"and for those update letters I didn't really write anything. if it's already in your amcas or your gpa is stellar as is, I would be hesitant to send an update.

My son 513/3.93 has not heard a peep. 23 MD schools applied to with all the ECs you’d expect. I come here to see that others are in the same boat and keeping up their spirits in such a weird process. Good luck to you young men and women.
Very disheartening and trying to keep spirits up here at home. Still no II’s. 4 rejections including 1 of the 2 state schools. 19 schools no news.

I have been using all the sound bites. “Most accepted students only get 1 or 2 interviews and only 1 offer.“ “There is still opportunities to interview til February”. “I read about a person with no interviews until late who ended up with a few offers”. Blah blah blah.

Fingers crossed (does that work?).

• Sad
Very disheartening and trying to keep spirits up here at home. Still no II’s. 4 rejections including 1 of the 2 state schools. 19 schools no news.

I have been using all the sound bites. “Most accepted students only get 1 or 2 interviews and only 1 offer.“ “There is still opportunities to interview til February”. “I read about a person with no interviews until late who ended up with a few offers”. Blah blah blah.

It's a long, tough road. It's great that you're supporting him. As applicants, I think the best we can do at this point is stay positive, and keep up our EC work with an eye on reapplying. If II's don't come in (and I'm hoping they do) I would focus some of those words of encouragement on all the positives that a gap year may bring.

Reactions: 3 users

Is your son planning on going straight through from UGrad->Medschool? If so, a single gap year may do wonders not just for his application, but for him. At the end of Ugrad, I was kinda burned out from being a full-time student, and being a part time student and working part time ( major change meant two more classes for this semester) has made me feel like a whole new person. I cant imagine going straight from college-> med school. Maybe a gap year is better for him in the long run.