No-II gang HOW WE FEELIN ABOUT THIS WEEK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there anyone else left in this gang? Lol
yup. getting ready for cycle #3 at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
More like 60% actually.

Yeah, you're right. According to the Princeton review, "In 2018–2019, 21,622 applicants were accepted to allopathic (MD) medical schools out of the 52,777 who applied, for an overall acceptance rate of 41%."

So, approximately 31,000 people get rejected, close to the total number of students at a college campus

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Are all schools shut down for the holidays, or do some admissions offices send out IIs over the break?

I’m on break from work until January 6th and am curious if I should be checking my email religiously like I have been, or if I can take two weeks off from this stress-ball process >___<

(I had one interview but withdrew afterwards, 100% was not going to attend, very much so not a good fit)

Reactions: 1 user

40% of the application pool won't get accepted anywhere. So no, you're not alone. lol
[/QUOTE]

It's 60% of the pool.

Are all schools shut down for the holidays, or do some admissions offices send out IIs over the break?

I’m on break from work until January 6th and am curious if I should be checking my email religiously like I have been, or if I can take two weeks off from this stress-ball process >___<

(I had one interview but withdrew afterwards, 100% was not going to attend, very much so not a good fit)

I remember reading somewhere about a person receiving an II 2 days before Christmas.

40% of the application pool won't get accepted anywhere. So no, you're not alone. lol

It's 60% of the pool.[/QUOTE]

Those statistics don’t account for DO acceptances though

Members don't see this ad :)

[/QUOTE]
I always wonder how much if those people did have an interview or more but still didn't get in...the stories of people on here who got multiple interviews in previous cycles but no acceptances and are now reapplying stress me out. Wonder what causes that.
Yeah, you're right. According to the Princeton review, "In 2018–2019, 21,622 applicants were accepted to allopathic (MD) medical schools out of the 52,777 who applied, for an overall acceptance rate of 41%."

So, approximately 31,000 people get rejected, close to the total number of students at a college campus

I always wonder how much if those people did have an interview or more but still didn't get in...the stories of people on here who got multiple interviews in previous cycles but no acceptances and are now reapplying stress me out. Wonder what causes that.
Bad social and interviewing skills has always been my guess.

about 20%

Poor interview skills most likely. If you’ve made it to the interview and have more than one, you probably don’t have any red flags and your app is good enough for that school.
Well, gee. That is ...intimidating. One thing I need to do before my interview dates is polishing my answer to " Why medicine?" During my mock interview my advisors said it can easily be countered with "Why not a nurse, why not PA, etc." I'm hoping to write it in essay format and maybe send to some people on SDN? I think since scribing for a month or so I can make a concise answer.

Well, gee. That is ...intimidating. One thing I need to do before my interview dates is polishing my answer to " Why medicine?" During my mock interview my advisors said it can easily be countered with "Why not a nurse, why not PA, etc." I'm hoping to write it in essay format and maybe send to some people on SDN? I think since scribing for a month or so I can make a concise answer.

Yeah the answer a lot of people give that can easily be countered is “I like science and want to help people.” Gotta be more specific.

My go to is a passion for learning and Knowing that I would never be satisfied with the limited scope of practice of an rn or mlp. I found this type of response to be concise and leaves them with limited option for rebuttals but just be honest if they ask, if you’ve made it this far you definitely have a handful of reasons why you didn’t just get a bsn

Last edited by a moderator:
Checking in with an additional R from Oklahoma. No other decisions from other schools other than Tulane notifying Im under review.

Its my dream school and Id be grateful for the chance to just interview.

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Well fam, as an underdog I can finally say I was accepted to medical school. I'm gonna be a doctor. Thank you everyone for the encouragement and motivation to keep going despite thinking I had wasted my own time and money

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 22 users
To all of you in this thread - peaceful Holidays!!! I sincerely hope your time is coming. There are many people in here who should be doctors!!!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
To all of you in this thread - peaceful Holidays!!! I sincerely hope your time is coming. There are many people in here who should be doctors!!!

Seconded. A lot of you are amazing individuals and although we might not meet irl, it was fun bonding over the past few months :)

For those of you still in the no-II squad, I still believe in y’all:)

Reactions: 8 users
Have you ever forgotten about a specific R because there have been so many, so you log into your portal to check your status and get to relive the R all over again? Haha me too

• Sad
Reactions: 9 users
Any of y’all have any New Years resolutions in mind?
Eat out less often. Won’t be hard to accomplish seeing as I can’t remember the last meal I’ve eaten at home lol so I really just have to start having cereal for breakfast

Reactions: 3 users
YES, Spend less time on this site.

LOL honestly same XD

Like it’s been awesome knowing y’all and connecting with some amazing people on this site but man I have to start doing something else with my free time lmao

Eat out less often. Won’t be hard to accomplish seeing as I can’t remember the last meal I’ve eaten at home lol so I really just have to start having cereal for breakfast

I highly recommend eggs, there’s so many ways to eat them (breakfast lunch or dinner). Unfortunately I can’t find a good cereal brand (that isn’t loaded with sugar) so I kinda fell off that trail :(

Get back on track with eating. I'm still lean, but I've started losing ab definition. And it's started to let me become lazier at the gym too. I guess that happens when you're about to get married lol. Priorities shift

Become more social lol. I was a social butterfly up until this March when I cracked down on the MCAT and Apps/Secondaries. Now I'm happy enough to see the light of day :laugh:. I recently got a new job too.. so I am pretty stoked. Going to make an instagram account tonight to get the ball rolling.

Happy almost New Year Everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Get a higher MCAT score and score some II's lol
+1 Started cracking open TBR books this week and going to begin a dedicated schedule next week. It ain't over til it's over of course, but my focus has now shifted to strengthening for a re-app.

Primary resolution is finding more balance--prioritizing self-care, socializing and appreciating where I am in life. I think this process has sections of time where you have to go hard, for better or worse, but overall I want to put less focus on achieving acceptance, and more focus on living life and enjoying the journey.

+1 Started cracking open TBR books this week and going to begin a dedicated schedule next week. It ain't over til it's over of course, but my focus has now shifted to strengthening for a re-app.

Primary resolution is finding more balance--prioritizing self-care, socializing and appreciating where I am in life. I think this process has sections of time where you have to go hard, for better or worse, but overall I want to put less focus on achieving acceptance, and more focus on living life and enjoying the journey.

Yea I definitely have been focusing on my personal life a bit too. Also got a puppy that Ive wanted for years and hes the best pup I could ask for.

It is what it is but in the end our destination will be the same so no point in fretting about it.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

THIS! I wish more pre-meds would shift their mode of thinking towards this! Life is happening whether you are or are not in the application process - enjoy it or you'll look back and remember (or not remember) the 1-2 years where all you did was fret over the process, what a waste!

Get a higher MCAT score and score some II's lol

Good luck! I’ve got to say, out of this entire application process and all, I personally did NOT like the MCAT grind lol (even compared to secondaries).

Also good outlook to have, and something that I think I personally lackeduntil after having gone through this application process

Good luck! I’ve got to say, out of this entire application process and all, I personally did NOT like the MCAT grind lol (even compared to secondaries).

Also good outlook to have, and something that I think I personally lackeduntil after having gone through this application process
Yea I can honestly say my bones start hurting thinking about studying for and paying for all the MCAT resources but it is what it is. More motivation to up my score I guess.

Well as the 1000th post Ima go ahead and say HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! (per y’all on the east coast)

I’m not sure how this thread ever got to 1k lol but either way hoping the best for you all in 2020 :)

• Love
  • Hmm
Reactions: 10 users
Happy 2020! I posted this in another group but thought y'all could benefit from hearing this: For those of us who are still waiting for that magic email or phone call, your time will come. No amount of comparison can cancel out the immense hard work, perseverance, resilience, and courage that’s gotten you to this point. You all deserve for all of your dreams to come true! Best of luck future docs!

Reactions: 7 users
Hey friends! Took a long break from SDN just for sanity lol but came back to say I'm still hanging in there with those who are still waiting on II's! I know it's late in the cycle, but many schools will still be sending out II's until March, so it's still possible (although should start prepping for a reapplication regardless). Some of my friends that I know who applied this cycle already have acceptances or got several II's, while I have been waiting. It has been quite stressful and it's easy to doubt yourself, but this is a tough process so I have to just keep reminding myself that even getting to the point of being able to apply was an accomplishment! And also, I still have over 60% of my schools (21 schools) still left to hear from, so here's to hoping 2020 is our year for II's and acceptances!!

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
Hey friends! Took a long break from SDN just for sanity lol but came back to say I'm still hanging in there with those who are still waiting on II's! I know it's late in the cycle, but many schools will still be sending out II's until March, so it's still possible (although should start prepping for a reapplication regardless). Some of my friends that I know who applied this cycle already have acceptances or got several II's, while I have been waiting. It has been quite stressful and it's easy to doubt yourself, but this is a tough process so I have to just keep reminding myself that even getting to the point of being able to apply was an accomplishment! And also, I still have over 60% of my schools (21 schools) still left to hear from, so here's to hoping 2020 is our year for II's and acceptances!!

Don't give out hope just yet - the second wave, if you will, comes about this time in Dec/Jan through Feb for II's cancelled by other applicants or stimulated by acceptancees withdrawing their A's. Wherever you fall on the school's list of priority, all that matters if the eventual II > A that lands you a spot in becoming a doctor. So mentally and logistically always prepare for another cycle, but also don't think all the cows have come home just yet!

Don't give out hope just yet - the second wave, if you will, comes about this time in Dec/Jan through Feb for II's cancelled by other applicants or stimulated by acceptancees withdrawing their A's. Wherever you fall on the school's list of priority, all that matters if the eventual II > A that lands you a spot in becoming a doctor. So mentally and logistically always prepare for another cycle, but also don't think all the cows have come home just yet!
Thank you so much for the reassurance! Definitely already planning on a reapp, but I also don't want to give up until I have all the rejections in hand especially since I'm still waiting on so many schools!

Thank you so much for the reassurance! Definitely already planning on a reapp, but I also don't want to give up until I have all the rejections in hand especially since I'm still waiting on so many schools!

This is a great attitude, cautious optimism! My one caveat to this is I wouldn't expect to hear an official answer from every school; lots of schools ghost R's, so you should expect answers from at least a handful, but don't rely too heavily on hearing back from all 21.

This is a great attitude, cautious optimism! My one caveat to this is I wouldn't expect to hear an official answer from every school; lots of schools ghost R's, so you should expect answers from at least a handful, but don't rely too heavily on hearing back from all 21.
Yes definitely trying to do my research on which schools don’t really get back to you and which ones actually send out R’s (past thread histories). I know I won’t have definitive answers, going to treat no communication by end of March as an R. But I’ve missed several hold & R waves at the schools I’m waiting to hear from so crossing my fingers I’m still under active consideration for those! :)

Reactions: 5 users