No-II gang HOW WE FEELIN ABOUT THIS WEEK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
LADIES AND GENTLEMAN, I HAVE OFFICIALLY RECEIVED A II. Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement, etc. I have no idea how I got here so I'm not going to hand out some random advice.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 43 users
LADIES AND GENTLEMAN, I HAVE OFFICIALLY RECEIVED A II. Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement, etc. I have no idea how I got here so I'm not going to hand out some random advice.
Yes! I was rooting for you!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Best of luck for your Interview.

Congrats! So happy for you!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Very disheartening and trying to keep spirits up here at home. Still no II’s. 4 rejections including 1 of the 2 state schools. 19 schools no news.

I have been using all the sound bites. “Most accepted students only get 1 or 2 interviews and only 1 offer.“ “There is still opportunities to interview til February”. “I read about a person with no interviews until late who ended up with a few offers”. Blah blah blah.

Fingers crossed (does that work?).
Holy crap. Kid got an II yesterday. First one for him. OOS. Chances of Med school attendance this year went from 0% to something.

• Love
Reactions: 22 users

wow, congratulations!
be sure to prep well and I wish the best for you! :love: :love: :love:

Hey ya'll! Just wanted to say that for those of us who applied late (I applied late Sep - Oct), things may be starting to see some movement! I am headed on a trip tonight for three interviews. All were fairly recent invites, and the third one just came in last night. Keep our heads up!

I'm a low GPA / higher MCAT applicant, so probs not tier 1 candidate, but happy to see movement.

Reactions: 9 users
Hey ya'll! Just wanted to say that for those of us who applied late (I applied late Sep - Oct), things may be starting to see some movement! I am headed on a trip tonight for three interviews. All were fairly recent invites, and the third one just came in last night. Keep our heads up!

I'm a low GPA / higher MCAT applicant, so probs not tier 1 candidate, but happy to see movement.
SF DD.

I admit it. I have no idea what “SS DD” means... :(

Oh wait. Had to reach into the way back pre-dad lingo. Now, I know what it means.

Last edited:
Schools a month ago: *sending invites*
Schools now:
1578544032718.png

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Continuing to root for all of you! Thankfully I recently got my first (and maybe only) acceptance. Fight the good fight everyone!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got my first interview invite of the season!!!! Went from 0% chance at med school to something. There is STILL HOPE - rooting for y'all!!! :) For reference, my LM = ~69 so I think they're starting to get to us low LM folks finally!

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
Got my first interview invite of the season!!!! Went from 0% chance at med school to something. There is STILL HOPE - rooting for y'all!!! :) For reference, my LM = ~69 so I think they're starting to get to us low LM folks finally!
Congratulations on your invite.
LM 69 is not low. I have seen people with LM < 70 get many interviews/acceptances. Again it is not just the stats which are the determining factor here. I am understanding the significance of ECS in this application process.

That is so true & thank you for the encouragement! I'm a CA ORM as well so hopefully, this gives some hope to folks in this category. I know that it's a special kind of uphill battle for us.

Hey gang, checking in with another R.

Question, which is slightly off topic, I apologize. How do you guys interpret pre-ii holds? I am re-assessing my application and have a good idea of my weaknesses, mainly a late app and lower mcat score. I have also sought and received post-r feedback from another school. Their feedback was helpful and didn't pinpoint anything specifically.

I do plan to rewrite everything. I guess I am just curious what you guys think. In your opinion, if we have received pre-ii holds then is it safe to assume we don't have any major red flags?

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user

Question, which is slightly off topic, I apologize. How do you guys interpret pre-ii holds? I am re-assessing my application and have a good idea of my weaknesses, mainly a late app and lower mcat score. I have also sought and received post-r feedback from another school. Their feedback was helpful and didn't pinpoint anything specifically.

I do plan to rewrite everything. I guess I am just curious what you guys think. In your opinion, if we have received pre-ii holds then is it safe to assume we don't have any major red flags?

It might depend on the school, some schools give out holds and rejections (ex: Tulane, Drexel), while some other schools only give out holds until later in the cycle when they send rejections (ex: UCSD).

What are your stats? And the pre-II hold can mean nothing depending on the school (ie. GW)

LM 67ish. You're absolutely right, it's very school dependant. That R just had me in me my feelings LOL and I was a little bit too contemplative.
Honestly, this cycle whether it pans out for me or not has shown me that no matter how much research we do, how much we keep track of other applicants movement throughout the cycle, etc. in the end its completely random. I've received an R from a school I though I was a shoe-in for and a II from a school that I thought was out of my league but an excellent fit.

I think for the sake of your sanity, just ride the wave, continue to work on your app, and only look forward. We're almost there.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Honestly, this cycle whether it pans out for me or not has shown me that no matter how much research we do, how much we keep track of other applicants movement throughout the cycle, etc. in the end its completely random. I've received an R from a school I though I was a shoe-in for and a II from a school that I thought was out of my league but an excellent fit.

I think for the sake of your sanity, just ride the wave, continue to work on your app, and only look forward. We're almost there.
The key is “excellent fit.” Most of us applying to med school are academically qualified. So, being a “good fit” for the mission of the school is really what matters.

Reactions: 5 users
The key is “excellent fit.” Most of us applying to med school are academically qualified. So, being a “good fit” for the mission of the school is really what matters.

Very true. The school that gave me a II could not be a better fit given my interests, goals, etc.

Still silence from most of my schools. I’m convinced they just can’t make up their minds about me lol

Still silence from most of my schools. I’m convinced they just can’t make up their minds about me lol

Same except I think it’s more that they literally forgot I even applied because I was so unimpressive lol

Hi internet friends, just checking in after my SDN detox with a total of 12 R's now! I had this prolonged moment of crisis (lol) where I was considering a 180 degree career change (pilot, anyone?) but I've decided that I'M NOT GIVING UP SO EASILY. I WANNA BE A DOCTOR GOSH DARN IT. So now I'm gearing up for one more try next cycle. Don't give up on your dreams, buddies! Anyone know the best way to identify the weakness in your app?

Reactions: 16 users
Took a break from SDN but since then I've gotten an II!

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Hi internet friends, just checking in after my SDN detox with a total of 12 R's now! I had this prolonged moment of crisis (lol) where I was considering a 180 degree career change (pilot, anyone?) but I've decided that I'M NOT GIVING UP SO EASILY. I WANNA BE A DOCTOR GOSH DARN IT. So now I'm gearing up for one more try next cycle. Don't give up on your dreams, buddies! Anyone know the best way to identify the weakness in your app?
Right there with you!!!

• Love

I would make a WAMC post and get feedback from the posters in that subforum!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Call every school that rejected you and ask if someone in admissions will go over the file with you. Out of 20 schools my 3 state schools said yes and 3 or 4 private schools — one of which I’m currently accepted into.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
feeling really jaded because of this cycle
The unfortunately reality is that this cycle lasts for 6 MORE MONTHS. It really ends aug 1 that’s when the WL hope dies. So you gotta hold strong it’s only halfway over as far as waiting.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
feeling really jaded because of this cycle

Another unfortunate reality is that you should always expect that you're getting rejected! Keeping your mind busy and optimistic with identifying your app weaknesses now and addressing them now will remind you of how much more enticed schools will be in the next round if it's not this round! That and a healthy amount of hope/confidence that this round still has plenty of time and good news can come any moment. If you've made it this far, you've already survived a large cut of once-upon-a-time hopeful pre-meds that couldn't get past the MCAT or app season etc. Be proud of where you are and how far you've come, don't let a slow cycle tear down all that well-deserved pride.

Reactions: 9 users
No ii gang, how we doing? Hoping I'm the only one left :)

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
yuppers. nih irta interviews are pouring in but it is arid in the land of medical schools.

Also still in the interview-less void here. For the sake of being proactive and not going insane, if anyone wants to toss around re-app plans/ideas, feel free to shoot me a PM!

No interview here either lol, premedical advisor worked with me to get my application ready and it's been total silence lol.

Just dropped in to say keep your heads up! If you need to reapply, reapply when you are ABSOLUTELY sure that you have a solid application.

As someone who had to reapply, I can tell you that gaining entrance to medical school is extraordinary difficult. Nevertheless, failing to gain entrance only speaks to the quality of your application, not to the quality of your being or aptitude.

I breezed through pre-clinical, did well on step 1, and I am loving and doing well in my third year. Based on my first attempt to gain admittance, I thought if I ever got in I would risk failing out every semester...that wasn't even close to being the case.

This feeling sucks but if you truly want this, the feeling should only be temporary. There are no shortcuts. Get to work and make yourselves undeniable.

• Love
Loosing a year or 2 hardly matters when going on to have a long career as a doctor. At the same time giving up is far worse. The difference is day and night. Need to accumulate patience and be persistant. I have seen so many guys on SDN who were second time reapplicant and third time reapplicants.
There was one guy did not get any interviews first time, got iis second time around but was waitlisted and for the third time application he finally got in.

When you say low GPA, how low are we talking? Feel free to DM me if you are open to answering.

When you say low GPA, how low are we talking? Feel free to DM me if you are open to answering.
CGPA 2.8x
MCAT 520+
Major academic reinvention. BCPM GPA 4.0

Reactions: 6 users
CGPA 2.8x
MCAT 520+
Major academic reinvention. BCPM GPA 4.0

That is very reassuring. Appreciate your post! I have about the same cGPA and over the past 50+ credits I have a 3.7 GPA (Mostly upper division sciences). Congratulations!

My beautiful family, I cannot believe I am able to type this, but I just got my first interview invite!!!! I am shocked but so so so excited!!!!! Anything is truly possible

• Love
Reactions: 54 users