No II's in mid-December. How worried should I be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drspacewoman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'd like some honest input about how worried I should be not having and interviews this late in the cycle.

cGPA: 3.89/sGPA: 3.97
Psychology major, somewhat nontrad (career path changer - did all prereqs in the last 2 years)
MCAT: 510 (127/131/124/128)
Over 1500 hours as an ER scribe, last 6 months as Assistant Chief Scribe
~20 hours of shadowing spread over several weeks
Volunteered as Peer Mentor in undergrad in my psychology department (~80 hours total)
Very strong Committee letter from my undergrad institution

School list:
University of Illinois (IL resident)
Loyola - Stritch
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Drexel
Temple
NYMC
Albert Einstein
SLU
Keck (was a reach - rejected)
Wisconsin (rejected)
Tulane (rejected)
Indiana (rejected)

Other than the 4 rejections I've gotten radio silence from the rest. I'd appreciate any feedback, including where I might have gone wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

Things that jump out:

44th percentile in MCAT Bio
Short list, and MCAT on the lower side for some of those choices
No research
Little volunteering, little shadowing

Basically looks like someone that did well in classes, OK on the MCAT with weak Bio, worked part-time throughout undergrad as a scribe but was otherwise very lacking in extracurriculars.

Reactions: 1 users
It's the 124 subscore that's holding you back. Especially in the biology section.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They might mean the 20 hours was the only thing entered under Shadowing in AMCAS, with all the scribe hours under Employment - Paid
But are adcoms really going to look at his app and go "Only marked 20 hours as shadowing so these 1500 hours in the ER are irrelevant for his understanding of what doctors do."? How is shadowing anything more than spending some time with a doc so you have some idea what you're getting yourself into?

OP has no research, not enough volunteering, a weird MCAT distribution, and too small of a school list. Volunteer for a few hundred more hours, get some kind of research under your belt, and apply early and broadly. The schools you applied to and are waiting to hear back from are low yield anyway.

But are adcoms really going to look at his app and go "Only marked 20 hours as shadowing so these 1500 hours in the ER are irrelevant for his understanding of what doctors do."? How is shadowing anything more than spending some time with a doc so you have some idea what you're getting yourself into?
Oh I doubt that clinical exposure was their big obstacle. I'm just saying that is probably why they presented it as they did.

Was Keck really a reach? (Serious question, I don't have MSAR yet)
Yes, their range is 31 - 38, OP has about a 31.

I should add that the Bio makes some of the schools more of a reach than the overall MCAT too. For example SLU has a 33 median, appropriate for a 31 applicant, but their 10th percentile Bio is at 10, while OP is applying with about an 8. That's a 76th percentile vs 44th percentile difference. Biggest obstacle imo.

Things that jump out:

44th percentile in MCAT Bio
Short list, and MCAT on the lower side for some of those choices
No research
Little volunteering, little shadowing

Basically looks like someone that did well in classes, OK on the MCAT with weak Bio, worked part-time throughout undergrad as a scribe but was otherwise very lacking in extracurriculars.

Another issue with the list: it was poorly put together. A few schools she didn't have much business applying to (MCAT score is the great equalizer, even with a good GPA). But what really sticks out for me is the real lack of volunteering with the underserved. Rush wants like 1000 hours? Drexel has an unwritten requirement for service as well. Drexel, Temple, Rosalind Franklin, and NYMC are fairly low yield schools due to the number of applications they get every year...Not a wide enough net was cast here. I don't feel like the research is a killer here at all. But yes, more volunteering, very little shadowing, and a poor subscore on the MCAT don't equal successful application.

except research isn't high priority for medical schools according to the AAMC surveys. so having no research is not a red flag. it's the lack of substantial volunteering and shadowing (coupled with a 124 in bio) that's hurting OP. and the school list is too limited.
Not high != low. It's a total absence of a moderately important thing. At a glance, schools like SLU, Keck, NYMC, Wisconsin all have ~90% of admitted students with research experience. I don't think it's as big a hurdle as someone trying to apply to Top 20s, but it belongs on the list of issues along with the Bio subscore, short list, lack of volunteering or other ECs outside of a part time job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another issue with the list: it was poorly put together. A few schools she didn't have much business applying to (MCAT score is the great equalizer, even with a good GPA). But what really sticks out for me is the real lack of volunteering with the underserved. Rush wants like 1000 hours? Drexel has an unwritten requirement for service as well. Drexel, Temple, Rosalind Franklin, and NYMC are fairly low yield schools due to the number of applications they get every year...Not a wide enough net was cast here. I don't feel like the research is a killer here at all. But yes, more volunteering, very little shadowing, and a poor subscore on the MCAT don't equal successful application.
I think SLU and Tulane are known to emphasize volunteerism as well.

OP if you're trying to do repairs for a future cycle (and of course, this one isn't over yet!) I think the priority list would be: volunteering, retake for the very lopsided Bio (especially with a 99th percentile Verbal and a 3.9 GPA), if possible maybe pick up some more shadowing outside of EM and if you are going into Senior year of undergrad, try doing a couple semesters of research for credits.

Not high != low. It's a total absence of a moderately important thing. At a glance, schools like SLU, Keck, NYMC, Wisconsin all have ~90% of admitted students with research experience. I don't think it's as big a hurdle as someone trying to apply to Top 20s, but it belongs on the list of issues along with the Bio subscore, short list, lack of volunteering or other ECs outside of a part time job.

for the most part, the MSAR research % is inflated to include mediocre/unmeaningful tasks like lab maintenance as opposed to productivity and independent work (which are hard to obtain). having some research helps, but not having any isn't a red flag (since people can get into medical school, including top schools, without any research experience).

for the most part, the MSAR research % is inflated to include mediocre/unmeaningful tasks like lab maintenance as opposed to productivity and independent work (which are hard to obtain). having some research helps, but not having any isn't a red flag (since people can get into medical school, including top schools, without any research experience).
Sure, the same way that volunteerism % is inflated to include people sitting at a desk in a hospital on their smartphone for hours occasionally fetching something. I'm not saying it is a red flag as if it were a cheating IA or something. It's just a moderately important area that most accepted applicants have something to put down for. People get in all the time without leadership or other things too. It's likely the overall lack of anything substantial beyond the part-time job that is causing a problem.

Hey everyone,

I'd like some honest input about how worried I should be not having and interviews this late in the cycle.

Psychology major, somewhat nontrad (career path changer - did all prereqs in the last 2 years)
Volunteered as Peer Mentor in undergrad in my psychology department (~80 hours total)

School list:
Loyola - Stritch
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Drexel
Temple
NYMC
Albert Einstein
SLU
Wisconsin (rejected)
Tulane (rejected)
Indiana (rejected)

Other than the 4 rejections I've gotten radio silence from the rest. I'd appreciate any feedback, including where I might have gone wrong.
124 bio.

The more I look at these schools the more I'm convinced this is the really big one. For almost all of these schools you need a few more points onto that Bio score to break above the 10th percentiles.

Sure, the same way that volunteerism % is inflated to include people sitting at a desk in a hospital on their smartphone for hours occasionally fetching something. I'm not saying it is a red flag as if it were a cheating IA or something. It's just a moderately important area that most accepted applicants have something to put down for. People get in all the time without leadership or other things too. It's likely the overall lack of anything substantial beyond the part-time job that is causing a problem.

i'm saying red flag in the context of what's hurting OP, and i don't think the lack of research is the contributing factor. having some (ideally productive) research always helps and can be a green flag, but not having any doesn't hurt.

in contrast, lacking something that's listed as a high priority, such as volunteerism, shadowing, and surprisingly even leadership, can hurt.

in contrast, lacking something that's listed as a high priority, such as volunteerism, shadowing, and surprisingly even leadership, can hurt.
It's mentally convenient to read the AAMC chart and think moderate = optional, high = necessary, but there is really no good basis to view it that way.

Regardless...the biggest issue for OP is the sub-50th percentile Bio score. An MCAT retake is in order before worrying about ECs at all (in my not at all expert opinion)

It's mentally convenient to read the AAMC chart and think moderate = optional, high = necessary, but there is really no good basis to view it that way.

Regardless...the biggest issue for OP is the sub-50th percentile Bio score. An MCAT retake is in order before worrying about ECs at all (in my not at all expert opinion)

well that's what the priority rankings are. it's much more important to be able to explain and show something in high categories, while having something in middle and low categories is good but not at all necessary. research isn't necessary but can help. lack of research doesn't hurt; lack of volunteering = lethal.

OP's overall MCAT score is a 510, which is a 31. a meaningful retake is something much more than a 2-3 point improvement (especially since averaging multiple scores is the recommended policy). can OP do it? with a 131 in CARS/verbal, I think OP has the analytical reasoning and critical thinking abilities capable of succeeding in the exam, so I support a retake and crushing the exam.

As an ESL and a new US comer, I can give you $100 and can you transfer that 131 CARS to my MCAT PLEAZZZEEE?

Reactions: 2 users
As an ESL and a new US comer, I can give you $100 and can you transfer that 131 CARS to my MCAT PLEAZZZEEE?

I'm a native englisher and I got a 123 in CARS. There were plenty of ESL who scored higher than I

Was Keck really a reach? (Serious question, I don't have MSAR yet)

Yes! They apparently soft screen for MCATs above 33. And with that said I've never met anyone who got in there with anything under a 34 (their median is a 35) except for urms/veterans.

The more I look at these schools the more I'm convinced this is the really big one. For almost all of these schools you need a few more points onto that Bio score to break above the 10th percentiles.
If the distribution went from 510 (127/131/124/128) to 510 (127/128/127/128), I could imagine more II's popping up.

"than me."
They're both correct. It depends on whether you consider "than" to be a conjunction or a preposition. If conjunction: "than I [did/scored]" because it'd be a predicate nominative, but if it's a preposition: "than me" since it'd be the object of the preposition.

I'm a bit of a grammar purist, so I like to consider the predicate nominative case with the implied second verb to be the correct way, but I digress...

Reactions: 6 users
Not really, they're both correct so it doesn't warrant a correction that implies the original is incorrect. Definitively un-savage.

They're both correct. It depends on whether you consider "than" to be a conjunction or a preposition. If conjunction: "than I [did/scored]" because it'd be a predicate nominative, but if it's a preposition: "than me" since it'd be the object of the preposition.

I'm a bit of a grammar purist, so I like to consider the predicate nominative case with the implied second verb to be the correct way, but I digress...
I'm the same way with maple syrup. Gotta keep it 100. #pure

I'm a prepositionist...

Reactions: 5 users
I'm the same way with maple syrup. Gotta keep it 100. #pure
Besides, "than" used in that case invites the comparison by definition. Why wouldn't it have an implied parallel verb?

Your school list is about 7 schools too short, you need about 100ish volunteer hours. And I would have someone look over your essays again. You may receive a II but I would prepare for the worst and got those volunteer hours in.

Not really, they're both correct so it doesn't warrant a correction that implies the original is incorrect. Definitively un-savage.
One can be savage without being correct. #Trump #Savage #BecauseYoudBeInJail

Reactions: 5 users
I'm surprised either of you can read web forums without having an aneurysm

I just had Dr. Pulaski put in one of those hearts from the 24th century. They're supposed to be aneurysm-proof.

Speaking of pedantic can people develop aneurysms spontaneously develop due to bouts of stress?

Speaking of pedantic can people develop aneurysms spontaneously develop due to bouts of stress?
High stress, vasoconstriction, I could see it.

Then again what do I know? I'm a 0th year

I just had Dr. Pulaski put in one of those hearts from the 24th century. They're supposed to be aneurysm-proof.
She was such an incredible doctor I'm surprised they didn't need her on Earth to run their Housing and Urban Development

No idea, and I guess to be pedantic you'd want to worry about an existing aneurysm bursting rather than forming

High stress, vasoconstriction, I could see it.

Then again what do I know? I'm a 0th year
Oh God please don't let M0 be a meme. There is enough "don't worry, I'm a premed" bs floating around.

Hey everyone,

School list:
Loyola - Stritch
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Drexel
Temple
NYMC
Albert Einstein
SLU
Wisconsin (rejected)
Tulane (rejected)
Indiana (rejected)

When were your applications marked complete?

I honestly don't think the MCAT alone is holding you back OP. It very well might be, but I guarantee people with similar breakdowns have gotten in. A 124 B/B is slightly low, yes, but a 131 CARS is ridiculous and well-respected. I don't think adcoms throw out your application after seeing your B/B score, unless they have a subsection screening of 125. That does exist though I haven't heard of it for the schools on your list aside from what was mentioned about Keck in this thread.

What I see in your application is purely a lack of passion... Let me explain.

Scribing is becoming cookie-cutter; I say this as a scribe for the last 2+ years. It's a great and undervalued experience in my opinion, but it seems like everyone is doing it and it doesn't truly set you apart. Beyond scribing, you have really nothing to speak of - I'm not trying to sound mean, but a few shadowing and volunteer hours is effectively nothing when you're up against people who have 500+ hours of meaningful activity.

I think your grades, MCAT, and scribing show that you are cut out for/want a career in medicine, but what adcoms may be wondering is WHY you are pursuing this. Applicants with your stat profile are everywhere in application pools. You have to demonstrate passion towards medicine to make yourself stand out. What part of you is drawn to medicine? What activities have you done in your life that you can seamlessly connect to medicine? Think about connecting things your hobbies to medicine. What things do you enjoy in your life that have drawn you to pursue this career?

I think if you add some activities in/from your personal life that demonstrate passion and serving, you will find yourself doing well. Definitely ask, if possible, some of the schools you got rejected from to see what they are looking for. However, I guarantee that the reason you don't have any interviews yet is not SOLELY because of your MCAT distribution.

And don't lose all hope yet. There are still a lot of interviews to go out. I'm in the same situation as you with no interviews yet, and while it is discouraging, it's not all over yet. But now is the time to start evaluating your application and figuring out how to improve. Don't wait until April and be stuck with two months to try and figure something out. I personally am starting small; I know a deficit in my application is my MCAT, specifically CARS, so I'm starting practice passages again. Take a few minutes to write down some ideas and figure out where to go from here. Good luck with everything.

Hey everyone,

School list:
Loyola - Stritch
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Drexel
Temple
NYMC
Albert Einstein
SLU
Wisconsin (rejected)
Tulane (rejected)
Indiana (rejected)

Should have joined a frat